Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Swine flu more of a threat than first thought?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    let the back peddling begin:

the death toll in mexico is being revised downwards. this is probably the first in a long (and probably never ending) cascade of articles about how the flu wasn't as bad as first thought and blah, blah, blah.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8030365.stm
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Click here to find out if you have swine flu: http://doihaveswineflu.org/

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post

Geeeeez.

Also - good comment about the Tamiflu business link - I can't help but be even more jaded about this whole thing as a result.

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Haha, excellent! My mum and brother both had a good laugh at that.

Undisclosed
    2 confirmed cases in the county I live in. Hooray...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappingbear View Post
    2 confirmed cases in the county I live in. Hooray...
    Bet your country already had flu! And that thousands of people were already dying from it...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Bet your country already had flu! And that thousands of people were already dying from it...

Not Country, but county as in the few square miles I live in. But, its how it goes so I don't worry.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappingbear View Post
    Not Country, but county as in the few square miles I live in. But, its how it goes so I don't worry.
    Doh! English is only my first language

The thing is about this virus is tens of thousands of people die of flu every year in the UK and US. And if you get the flu these days, the chance is its an H1N1 strain... So it's related to the exact one (an H1N1 strain) we're reading about at the moment.

So there's nothing super unatural about it really...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Turns out the two confirmed cases in my county are actually right in my community being two school kids from the area so the school has been closed. That means the fungo is closer to me than previously thought. Yay.

capncnut
    They have closed schools in the Dulwich area, which is super close to me. I think it's time to get out the surgical mask.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    They have closed schools in the Dulwich area, which is super close to me. I think it's time to get out the surgical mask.
    If it comes anywhere near me, I have one of these at my disposal:

Got it for £15 - British Army S10 Respirator.

Was gonna use it for a film which is, as yet, unfilmed.

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

Heheheh, see if you can get a white suit too, then start knocking on random doors and scaring the shit out of everyone.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

Come on! Let's hear the truth! I know what your bedroom antics are like!
    -Carl Sagan

United Kingdom
    Just heard on the radio, piggy flue is now on the decline, GOD DAM IT! I was really looking forward to £100!
    I thought there would have been a lot more deaths before it went on the decline, ya know, with it being a pandemic and all
    "Zombie Birth"

"And you think your Mother had it bad"
    First they came for the Jew and I said nothing, then they came for the black man and I said nothing, then they came for the homosexual and I said nothing..then they came for me and there was no one to say anything

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by LoSTBoY View Post
    Heheheh, see if you can get a white suit too, then start knocking on random doors and scaring the shit out of everyone.
    Actually I do have a white suit (one of those coverall things for painting).

Now I just need one of those Carbine rifles and I've got my own version of The Crazies going on.