Thread: Swine Flu

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed

Swine Flu

In theory could the world wide swine flu pandemic lead to a zombie outbreak if the government trys a radical cure?

UK
    Depends on what they try to cure us with, if it involves antibiotics then I think we'll be fine. If involves something like a Trioxin based medicine then we're pretty much screwed - even more so if you can't stand runners. Imagine being resurrected as a runner, now that would be one hell of a purgatory!

Welcome by the way!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post
    If involves something like a Trioxin based medicine then we're pretty much screwed

"Headache, nausea, swine flu, what ever your ailment, try Trioxin! Now in the easy to open cannister. This message brought to you by Uneeda Medical Supply."

United States
    Funny thing is I keep pulling up the chars to see the areas affected and how it is spreading so I can follow it. When I do so I think "What would this would look like if it were a dead walking scenario".

UK
    I guess I've got too much time on my hands, lol.
    Attached Images

United States
    If the people suffering the swine flu become enraged and group up then aren't they zombies for all intents and purposes?

(please for the love of zombies ignore this comment - I beg you)

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 View Post
    In theory could the world wide swine flu pandemic lead to a zombie outbreak if the government trys a radical cure?
    Only if you could actually come up with a theory for how a particular cure could cause a zombie outbreak.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Only if you could actually come up with a theory for how a particular cure could cause a zombie outbreak.
    Reminds me of that bit from the Young Ones:

"I've created a potion that turns you into an axe-weilding, homicidal maniac.

It's sort of a cure...

For NOT being an axe-weilding homicidal maniac."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post
    I guess I've got too much time on my hands, lol.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

That is EPIC dude! LMAO!

"Free Tarman in Special packs!"

"Just ask for the man in the can!"

Love it!
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 30-Apr-2009 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Twitching

United States
    Hmm,
    Antivirals can be scary stuff. Some of the approved antiviral agents operate by processes/mechanisms only partially understood by the scientific community, and like any relatively new field of scientific/medical inquiry there are ALWAYS unlooked-for developments when researchers go too far too quickly.

Which is NOT to say I believe in even the most inconceivably remote possibility that Swine Flu or treatments designed to combat it could create zombies. However, a combination of the emergence of an ever-increasing number of pathogens with pandemic causing potential with the substantial increase of pressure upon both governments around the world and the global medical community specifically to find and successfully implement solutions to this problem is extremely unsettling if not downright terrifying. The stress/tension that those responsible for addressing what is arguably the greatest threat humanity faces must be intense to say the very least.

People are afraid, and that fear is only going to increase as the media continues to inform the world of new cases popping up all the time. If some deep-pocketed medical/pharmaceutical comes up with some sort of vaccine or antiviral that's the viral equivalent of broad spectrum antibiotics that wows the FDA, WHO, CDC etc as it's put through its testing paces, it stands to reason that it would be fast-tracked. Those more cautious medical professionals that might choose to urge slower and more in-depth analysis of this hypothetical wonder drug would find their voices muted in the rush to at least get the compound to the Compassionate Use availability during the first human drug trials.

All of that sounds great on so many levels (even to me), but my big worry isn't that in such a scenario bad things happen during the human drug trials. My main concern comes straight out of the plotlines of a host of epidemic genre movies. The drug comes through the trials with flying colors, and gets final approval....

Look at how the US gov't is purchasing huge amounts of Tamiflu and Relenza. If a new anti-viral became available that had strong evidence of being significantly more effective and much more versatile, it would be completely natural for world governments to prioritize acquiring and distributing the anti-viral where needed.

What happens if the new wonder drug in the War On Viruses turns out to be a bomb waiting to go off, and one that has a very long fuse to burn through before detonating?

If a true pandemic began, worrying about consequences that might not begin to appear for 4-5 years (or possibly even longer) would NOT be a high priority. The very lessons that history has taught us about how best to cope with such a threat might very well work against us. Struggling to rapidly contain affected areas/populations, proactively vaccinating populations because a geographically distant area was hit hard and suddenly by the pathogen..all of it could combine to be our undoing if our short and mid-term salvation was actually our long-term damnation, with us tragically unaware that we were being set up for a long fall by the very efforts meant to protect us.

How do you TRULY know what a new and revolutionary anti-viral will do to the future offspring of the population the drug was administered to? Sure, it hypothetically cures 97.5% of those who contract Swine Flu, but in combination with the hypothetical new vaccine meant to immunize against the most recent Bird Flu, it turns out that something about the antibodies passed on to breast-fed newborns from mothers who were both treated for a bad case of Swine Flue: Strain I and vaccinated against Bird Flu: Strain VI creates a "trigger environment" in the toddlers who were breast-fed as babies. When these now four and five year old toddlers get exposed to the good old-fashioned common cold-causing Rhinovirus at their Day Care, voila.

All of the components are unwittingly assembled in the bodies of hundreds of thousands of children across the US over the course of a very few months, triggering an evolutionary leap forward for the virus. It rapidly diverges into 2 or 3 strains as easily transmissable as the common cold, but with the nastier traits of both Bird and Swine Flu, and a near-total immunity to anti-virals, with a complete immunity to the wonder drug Mom was dosed with and all its patent-dodging derivative cousin anti-virals that are now the stockpiled drug of choice for anti-Pandemic contingency plans by all concerned parties.

That's a TAME hypothesis. You could use the same methodology and come up with a nearly infinite number of scenarios, each worse than the last.

The sort of convergence of events that plunges the planet into a 28 Weeks Later scenario. Or give it some real flavor, and go for an epidemic fixated mainly on prepubescents that mixes some TRULY nasty pathogen's traits into the Flu virus family. A pathogen that mimics some of the characteristics of Porphyeria (sp?), including a brain chemistry imbalance in the victim leading to relapsing/recurring psychotic breaks. That'd give you kids as psycho as the freaks from The Hills Have Eyes, with a taste for blood and photosensitivity like the mutants from the book that The Omega Man is based on. With the heartbreaking twist that every so often the kids would come to their senses and react like regular children with disjointed and fragmentary memories of their actions while flipped out.

Likely? ABSOLUTELY NOT. Conceivably possible, and made somewhat more likely by the current climate of fear about potential epidemics? All true.

Couldn't think up a way to get to actual zombies from Swine Flu, but here's my Gallery of Conceivable Potential Horrors linked to the recent pathogens.

For your consideration. Just some late night musing and a few minutes of research.

Dying

Undisclosed
    I just wanted to warn everyone that hospitals are gearing up for a pandemic.

Fresh Meat

United States
    Uneeda Medical Supply.
    My favorite medical supply!

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    Yes it is possible but only if swine flu and rabies were mixed perfectly and how would everyone feel about a novel with the fathers company created a serum and someone
    steals it and releases it on an old mansion. Where the fathers son has a girlfriend meet him there and she goes missing and starts the zombie outbreak by accident

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by katholiday View Post
    Uneeda Medical Supply.
    My favorite medical supply!

http://uneedamedsupply.tripod.com/index.html