Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post Apocalyptic Survival Vehicles

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusIncredulous View Post
    CB, I gotta ask: What's your good knife? Bowie Knife perhaps?
    Nah, thats fine for whacking off zom heads I guess but pretty useless for the many everyday tasks you would be doing. Butcher out a deer with a bowie? Might as well use a machete. A good fixed blade with full tang and 4" blade is all you really need. I've dressed more game with a simple Buck folding hunter pocket knife than anything else. Since I believe in multiple backups for everything, I have more than one knife. Decent stout fixed blade belt knife, good quality folder and also extra knife in my first aid kit & bug out kit. Here are some I own and use.

Russell fixed blade is a good one for dressing out game. http://www.agrussell.com/d-h-russell...fe/p/DHRhhh1S/

Benchmade folder I use (bottom one. I dont like the serrations and never needed them). http://www.agrussell.com/benchmade-d...p/BEhhh740SBK/

A multi-tool is essential for the bugout/1st aid kid and I keep one in every vehickle also. Lots of good ones.

Randall hand made fixed model 5 I like alot. Mine is the 6" blade with Micarta handle. http://www.randallknives.com/catalog...eldetail&id=41

Benchmade fixed blade I like alot and use hard. Designed by Allen Elishewitz. Mine is the 145BT. The blade is sorta like a chef knife design so very handy for cooking in camp. http://www.benchmade.com/products/pr...aspx?model=145

Those are just a few I have. I prefer Micarta scales/handles over wood or plastic as they grip well when wet. Micarta is basically linen fabric with resins formed and its great stuff.

United States
    Wow! Russell and Randall - two of the finest knifemakers around. Pricey, to be sure, but high-quality, top notch craftsmanship. You'd have to find your own artisan knifemaker to put a better one together, and it would likely cost you much more than either Russell or Randall would.

I'm impressed by your taste in blades, Crappingbear, and a little jealous of your collection since I've been dreaming of adding a Russell or Randall to my belt for years now, but just cannot afford one.

My blades: Scharade Buck folder I have had for 20 years and several cheapo "made in china" folders that I use at work. (So cheap, I don't really care if I dull the blade opening cartons, etc, but so cheaply constructed that they won't hold up under extended use - strictly disposable) Of course, I am never without a multitool, but I wish I could afford a decent one.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Wow! Russell and Randall - two of the finest knifemakers around. Pricey, to be sure, but high-quality, top notch craftsmanship. You'd have to find your own artisan knifemaker to put a better one together, and it would likely cost you much more than either Russell or Randall would.

I'm impressed by your taste in blades, Crappingbear, and a little jealous of your collection since I've been dreaming of adding a Russell or Randall to my belt for years now, but just cannot afford one.

My blades: Scharade Buck folder I have had for 20 years and several cheapo "made in china" folders that I use at work. (So cheap, I don't really care if I dull the blade opening cartons, etc, but so cheaply constructed that they won't hold up under extended use - strictly disposable) Of course, I am never without a multitool, but I wish I could afford a decent one.
    Oh I've got others that are more collectable; these are the "users". But, what I really want to stress is that there are some fantastic bargains in production knives today. You can get really great tools for 50 bucks and sometimes less. Cold Steel is a bargain production seller and their stuff is usually stout as hall especially the fixed blades and hatchets.

You can get a Kershaw production model of Ken Onion's power assist folders (like a switchblade but legal) for less than 50 bucks. Ive got a few. You don't need a 300 buck knife to survive, hunt or get by. I just enjoy collecting things. For instance, I collect signed first edition books. Spend alot on them and thats my choice. I've got a 78 Les Paul guitar and 77 Strat; its just how I roll.

But, as I have always said, any knife is better than no knife. You really can't go wrong if you have any idea how to sharpen them.

Ive got this knife as a fighter, which I guess means I will never use unless zoms really do come back. Its a Cold Steel copy of the Randall model 1 fighter and the greatest fighter design in history in my op. Damned well made too. http://www.coldsteel.com/micl.html

I see Cold steel is offering the Russell knife for 20 bucks so the patent must have run out. hard to go wrong for 20 bucks but keep in mind the Russells are still hand made and forged while the cold steel will be production from overseas. http://www.coldsteel.com/cabekn.html

I dont have one of these but they might be the best value ever, called the Bushman series by Cold Steel. Good blade with a hollow handle you can put a length of wood in to make a spear. Or, you can do a small survival kit in a plastic bag and stuff in the hilt. Had I not already had good stuff, Id buy one of these. http://www.coldsteel.com/bushmanseries.html

Stainless steel vs carbon steel? Most pick stainless for no reason other than they don't know what to do about rust. Here is the reality: stainless does not hold an edge as well as carbon steel and it is harder to sharpen which means those who aren't good at it usually screw up a stainless edge and turn it into a shovel. Carbon steel is much more forgiving and holds a great edge. You can get a cheap 20 buck Old Hickory butcher knife at wal mart that will last an eternity like your dutch oven cast iron stove and never go wrong.

As far as sharpening tools, the sky is the limit. What most dont realize is you don't need to run a blade across a stone to sharpen; thats for re-building the edge. Usually all you need is a leather strop (barbers length of leather) or pair of work boots like I use. When a knife gets dull, what it means is the "wire edge" is not aligned and is bent. You strop the knife on leather, even cardboard and it puts that wire edge back in line and razor sharp. Master Knifesmith Mr. Emerson always uses just cardboard to bring his handmade masterpieces back to razor sharpness. I've used sharpening media ranging from rocks in the field to flourescent lightbulbs (bet Stray hasn't dont that one ) Again.....any knife no matter how dull is better than none. Its the ONLY survival item you MUST have.
    Last edited by Crappingbear; 03-May-2009 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Christmas Island
    Great run down on knives there guys. I've got a Benchmade Rant DPT, older version, and a bunch of Spyderco Calypso folders sitting around. Those Calypsos are great little everyday knives that have seen a lot of use and still hold an edge.

I initially had an interest in knives from Cold Steel but a post I saw in a knife forum some years back made me question their quality. It had pics of someone using a CS knife in cold weather to cut wood which caused the blade to snap in half. Using a knife as a makeshift hatchet was probably more to blame though.

Edit: Gotta admit, that Bushman if VERY tempting.
    Last edited by MaximusIncredulous; 03-May-2009 at 09:25 AM.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusIncredulous View Post
    Great run down on knives there guys. I've got a Benchmade Rant DPT, older version, and a bunch of Spyderco Calypso folders sitting around. Those Calypsos are great little everyday knives that have seen a lot of use and still hold an edge.

I initially had an interest in knives from Cold Steel but a post I saw in a knife forum some years back made me question their quality. It had pics of someone using a CS knife in cold weather to cut wood which caused the blade to snap in half. Using a knife as a makeshift hatchet was probably more to blame though.

Edit: Gotta admit, that Bushman if VERY tempting.
    I immediately stop paying attention to the knife test trials where they use a sledge hammer to pound a 4 inch blade through a concrete block. Bleh, get real. I have a hatchet, I have a machete, I have an ax, I have knives. You use the RIGHT tool for the job. Id rather have a small knife than a large one, all things considered.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappingbear View Post
    You can get a Kershaw production model of Ken Onion's power assist folders (like a switchblade but legal) for less than 50 bucks.
    Back when I worked as a mold polisher I used to work on blades for Kershaw. We'd get cases of them from Kershaw and I spend hours bead blasting them by the thousands. We'd then send them off for black oxide. Once they came back, I would load them onto a rotary lazer engraver and etch the Kershaw/Ken Onion logo on them.

I had one of the original Onion spring-assist openers which I would wear clipped to the inside of my BDU pocket when jogging at night. I could have it out and open in like 2 seconds.

Great little knife, wish I knew what happened to it.

-stray-

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by strayrider View Post
    Back when I worked as a mold polisher I used to work on blades for Kershaw. We'd get cases of them from Kershaw and I spend hours bead blasting them by the thousands. We'd then send them off for black oxide. Once they came back, I would load them onto a rotary lazer engraver and etch the Kershaw/Ken Onion logo on them.

I had one of the original Onion spring-assist openers which I would wear clipped to the inside of my BDU pocket when jogging at night. I could have it out and open in like 2 seconds.

Great little knife, wish I knew what happened to it.

-stray-
    Onion's assist opener is one of the coolest inventions ever. I had a nice one that was modified through Russell to put a beautiful stone scale on one side and mirror polish the blade and immediately lost it. So, I bought the cheap regular model at Gander Mountain for 1/3 the cost and have managed to hold on to it.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappingbear View Post
    For instance, I collect signed first edition books. Spend alot on them and thats my choice. I've got a 78 Les Paul guitar and 77 Strat; its just how I roll.
    Even more impressed and envious. 78 Les Paul and 77 Fender Stratocaster - dude, you are living my fantasy. Hats off to Crappingbear!
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Even more impressed and envious. 78 Les Paul and 77 Fender Stratocaster - dude, you are living my fantasy. Hats off to Crappingbear!

Eh, don't think that. I didnt buy these today to collect; I bought them back in the day. Hold onto anything long enough and it becomes an antique.
    Last edited by Crappingbear; 05-May-2009 at 03:11 AM.

United States
    Though the ACPs are cool, most of us would probably only have access to something easier to come by.

Runs on diesel (I believe) and little or no learning curve to operate. Firing ports on all the hatches. Plus, there's a Brink's yard fairly close to where I live where there are about 20 of these parked. The only real problem would be finding the keys to start it.

-stray-

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Just find Johnny. Johnny has the keys.
    Good point, good vehicle.