Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panic Rooms

United States

Panic Rooms

I am wondering if anyone knows someone that has a "Panic Room" or have one yourself? Asking the latter is kindof dumb really you wouldn't want people to know if you did have one.
    I was thinking of "Panic Rooms" in a survival situation and what they would be like if someone had one. I think they would be a real benefit in a crisis depending what crisis you were going through at the time.

United States
    I don't but would like to have one - my own secret batcave!
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Undisclosed
    I dont like the idea of being trapped anywhere. Id rather be on the roof than in a locked room. Armed of course.

United States
    I can panic in just about any room I want to Deb.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappingbear View Post
    I dont like the idea of being trapped anywhere. Id rather be on the roof than in a locked room. Armed of course.
    I wouldn't mind abit of both worlds, the panic room and the roof.
    I wouldn't like the idea of being trapped either.
    I watched the movie "Panic Room" with Jodi Foster and her panic room had a phone not connected to the main line and also had tv monitors to see throughtout the house. Also, in "Diary" same thing.
    I think it would be a good place to chill or get some sleep,this is all depending on what sortof crisis is going on of course.

Undisclosed
    Just buy some guns.

Super Moderator

United States
    Sure, in theory panic rooms are great and I think some of it would depend on what/who I had to protect and what sort of target I thought I might be. Honestly, in the fantasy-land of my mind, I have this idea that a box with no escape route would be horrible, but I can't say the idea is something that's unworkable for all people, depending on resources and their situation. Just don't try and use it when people know where it is and you have no access to your outside, independent line...you'd be screwed if it was your only line of defense, then.

I'd just rather go with that old, converted root cellar or coal bin, that no one realizes you have under your homestead. This is especially great if you have an older, irregularly built home (like a farmhouse). I've seen some set ups where friends of mine could just hang out for a week and in some cases a lot more with out having to leave their little safe area and I doubt anything short of the most concerted search would have found the hatches that led to their hidey-holes.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Just pure paranoia inducing shit to have in your house. I'd rather take my chances with a burgular than build a room specifically for hiding out, I seriously doubt they're useful to anyone - I'd wager that those with panic rooms ironically never get burgled!
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Just been bitten zombieparanoia's Avatar

Undisclosed
    I don't get panic rooms. They seem silly even if imagining a worst case scenario

"And then I'll hide in a walk in closet until I run out of whatever I forgot to bring in"

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i think id honestly take my chances rather than seal myself in a walk in freezer

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    i think id honestly take my chances rather than seal myself in a walk in freezer
    I have always toyed with the idea of building a fallout shelter - one of those swanky 1950's setups that look like a lounge/recreation room replete with a bar, kitchenette and an entertainment center and it's own bathroom and shower. If one of these were well hidden in the home, it could serve the purpose as a panic room as well.

I assume, perhaps wrongly, that panic rooms are supposed to also serve as a bomb shelter as well - if this is the case then these rooms are much more than just a place to hide from a home invader. Certainly, if you set your room up to double as a lounge/rec room, it could be a really nice place to kick back in addition to a safe room to hide from fallout and burglars. Those of you who are married will understand, but sometimes it is nice to have a little hideaway where you can dissapear to for some solitude and just chill out.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 17-May-2009 at 05:00 PM.
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

England
    nah,im not paranoid enough to need a panic room!i always wondered though,what happens if you lock yourself in your panic room & whoever has broken into your house decides to go all arsonist & set the place on fire?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    nah,im not paranoid enough to need a panic room!i always wondered though,what happens if you lock yourself in your panic room & whoever has broken into your house decides to go all arsonist & set the place on fire?
    Oh, I'm not paranoid, but it doesn't mean they are not out to get me!

If I built my shelter, it would be for the hell of it, and not out of any tangible need, though I think I would be glad to have it in case of dirty bombs and the like.

Regarding arson as a threat, I think that a proper "panic room" would be fire resistant with it's own oxygen supply so that you could sit in there while your house burns down and still be ok. But it occurs to me that only the very, very rich would be able to afford such a thing, so likely if I was to build my hideout it would only look like a 1050's bomb shelter/recreation room since I don't think I would be able to afford - or justify the expense even if I could afford it - to make mine impervious to fire and radiation.

Undisclosed
    I have a bomb shelter in my basement...concrete on all sides except a 4 inch thick door...oh and air vents that can be turned on or off. Then a few months ago I fount another shelter in my yard, it was designed in case of nuclear attack and had direction on what to do, just in case. I like them and currently use the basement one for my office.

United States
    I never saw a point to a "panic room". If you're the type who has the money to shell out for these things while building a home in the first place, why go half-assed? Just build a whole "panic house". If the house itself is mega-allproof, there's no need for one fortified room.