Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Requesting your Input

United States

Requesting your Input

Not too long ago, I posted a response to a dude- who I will not identify here, and have no intention of reporting - who had recently joined the forum, but only posted advertisments referring to his commercial product. In effect, I wrote that the dude's thread was basically spam - though his product was interesting and I would likely want to purchase it- and suggested that he participate in our forums because he likely had a lot to add to our group dynamic. I retiterated this to him at least once more when he posted another thread promoting his products.

I recently received a PM from this guy titled "Leave Me Alone" in which he accused me of stalking him on our boards. In essence, he basically told me to ignore his posts if I did not agree with them, and he stated that though he posts frequently at other zombie related forums elsewhere, he had no intention - lacking the time and the desire - of participating in our forums. He further stated that he intends to continue to update his commerical-based threads whenever he desires. His rationale was that he had every right to promote his products here since he had discovered other zombie related products from this board that he had not previously been exposed to, and told me that I should understand why he would want to promote his products in a similar fashion. He concluded his email by requesting that I not respond to his email since he did not want to get into a back and forth on this issue, and that I should live my life and let him live his and not bother him.

I did in fact respond to his PM, apologizing that I made him feel unwelcome, and that I had not intended to do so. Being the guy that I am I also apologized for responding to his email when he had requested that I not do so.

I certainly did not intend to tromp on the toes of the moderators here - I know that they frequently will shut down someone who posts in this fashion if they do not get permission first and they do a great job keeping on top of it. My thought, however, is that even if this guy got moderator's permission to do this, there should be nothing wrong with a lowly member like myself asking this guy to participate in the forums further when he is using it strictly to promote his product.

I am requesting a reality check from you all. So did I step over the line? Is posting a response to a commerical email "stalking"? Should I in the future simply ignore commerical postings and not post a response?

I request from my online zombie friends their thoughts on this, because the nature of his PM made me feel sorry that I said anything at all.

(If I have posted this in the wrong forum, please feel free to move it to it's proper venue!)

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 06-May-2009 at 08:29 PM.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    I'm with you on this Yojimbo - although it is arguably not against forum rules per se (so long as it's on topic and not excessive), if you are going to plug your own commercial interests in multiple threads, it is a matter of plain old good manners to actually pay something back to the community by contributing something. I do remember reading your responses on said threads, and they were consistently polite and friendly, almost neighbourly in fact (to take the "community" metaphor another step).

I think it's absurd for him to consider your gentle invitations to join in the conversation as "harassment". By the same logic, his shameless plugs could also be considered "harassment".

I wouldn't let it bother you, bro.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    I'm with you on this Yojimbo - although it is arguably not against forum rules per se (so long as it's on topic and not excessive), if you are going to plug your own commercial interests in multiple threads, it is a matter of plain old good manners to actually pay something back to the community by contributing something. I do remember reading your responses on said threads, and they were consistently polite and friendly, almost neighbourly in fact (to take the "community" metaphor another step).

I think it's absurd for him to consider your gentle invitations to join in the conversation as "harassment". By the same logic, his shameless plugs could also be considered "harassment".

I wouldn't let it bother you, bro.
    Thanks Kraken. Your post made me feel a little better about this, and I am glad I am not the only one that feels this way.
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Super Moderator

United States
    Ugggh...this is ridiculous.

You stalk some stranger and not me, Yo?! NOT me?!

I thought I'd earned a little stalking...maybe a shrine in your basement or something. I don't know. A little recognition. I'm not asking for you to stand outside my window with a boom box over your head or anything, ya know?

To be fair to you, I've done the same thing in the past (invite people posting their products to participate, not stalk people). I tend to try and keep most of my 'hey new dude!' corrective posts on the polite suggestion level. Maybe I've stepped over the line in the past, but if so I don't think it was too often or too badly. Just keep it light, easy and non-repetitive to the new folks and you'll be good.

I think it's absurd for him to consider your gentle invitations to join in the conversation as "harassment".
    Yeah Yo, I've seen your posts and it's hardly harassment. We post here all the time and feel comfortable to comment on most things, because we are, for the most part, friends or at least acquaintances on this board; it's to be expected we may chime in on any old 'buy my shit' thread someone throws out. You weren't really being negative.

My only suggestion is to keep in mind reiteration--especially with people one does not have a familiar relationship with--will make a lot of people feel as though they are being singled out. In the end, I look at people coming to this community with Romero or zombie oriented notices (be it event, movie or product related) as a good thing. It keeps the community full of new information and helps maintain a sense of relevance and vitality. So that's this denizen's 2 cents.

PS--So have you even tried to collect any of my hair and make a hairdoll, or what?!
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 06-May-2009 at 07:06 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    My only suggestion is to keep in mind reiteration--especially with people one does not have a familiar relationship with--will make a lot of people feel as though they are being singled out. In the end, I look at people coming to this community with Romero or zombie oriented notices (be it event, movie or product related) as a good thing. It keeps the community full of new information and helps maintain a sense of relevance and vitality. So that's this denizen's 2 cents.
    Very wise thoughts, and very good advice to keep in mind!

I do agree, BTW, that it is a good thing that folks with zombie themed products come here to post, and that these posts keep us relevant and energized, and I certainly do not want to be responsible for chasing these good folk away. I do also see what you are saying regarding reiteration making folks feel that they are being targeted, and this makes total sense, and it is something that I will keep in mind in the future since I don't want to inadvertently piss someone off or hurt their feelings.

Thanks Aces for your good thoughts on this - I really do appreciate your input and suggestions.

(BTW: the altar I put together in the hidden room in my basement is nearly finished...all it needs is a little drop of your blood and a few more photos of you for me to cherish to be complete!)

Peace, brother Aces!

United States
    yeah, i know what member you're referring to, and you were in no way out of line...in fact, i'm gonna let that shameless fuck have the distinct honor of becoming the first person to make my "ignore" list.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    yeah, i know what member you're referring to, and you were in no way out of line...in fact, i'm gonna let that shameless fuck have the distinct honor of becoming the first person to make my "ignore" list.

Thanks, ProfessorChaos for always having my back!

To be fair, the dude is just trying to promote his stuff and I can understand his intentions. I just think it is sad that he thinks of HPOTD as not worthy of anything more than to be used as a billboard for his products and that he chooses not to join in with the discussions, since I do not believe that any of the other zombie-related forums have anything on us. In fact, I think quite the contrary - that, having visited the other forums, HPOTD is the best zombie/GAR related forum around, frequented by some of the coolest folk you would ever have the pleasure of talking shit with.

Thanks again, Professor, I always know I can count on you for support!

Undisclosed
    I remember the post as well...to hell with it...it was a form of spam...I think it is alright to as an opinion of your product from people who, obviosly, would be considered your niche market, but to not want input just sales is wrong. People should not join a forum to just sell stuff, that is not what they are for!

By the way take a look at my ebay store... Just Kidding.

Forgetaboutit

Administrator

England
    Yojimbo, speaking as a friend and head of the forums.. i do not think you crossed a line and we welcome all members to post their opinions and thoughts, unless obscene or overly insulting which yours was not (if im thinking of the same guy )

While we do permit advertising and welcome all members to promote their own products and sites, we do ask that anyone advertising contributes to the forums and becomes a name themselves first, as we consider it insulting for someone to register with the sole intent of advertising, no doubt you have seen numerous topics closed down for this reason.

But anyway, no i dont think you were over the line.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    In essence, he basically told me to ignore his posts if I did not agree with them, and he stated that though he posts frequently at other zombie related forums elsewhere, he had no intention - lacking the time and the desire - of participating in our forums. He further stated that he intends to continue to update his commerical-based threads whenever he desires.
    Oh really, I think I'll be looking into this...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    i'm pretty sure who it is too and i have three things to say: fuck him. keep your shitty stuff off this forum. take it to fucking ebay where someone might actually give a shit.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Yo, totally agree with you and the others. I'm all for promoting something here, but if you're going to do that, yeah, at least try to spend some time with those you're targeting. Any other place you would research your base and the same should apply here. Got your back, bro!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnGirl27 View Post
    Yo, totally agree with you and the others. I'm all for promoting something here, but if you're going to do that, yeah, at least try to spend some time with those you're targeting. Any other place you would research your base and the same should apply here. Got your back, bro!
    Thank you DawnGirl27, for your support! I feel much better knowing that you are backing me up on this - you are one righteous homegirl!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    i'm pretty sure who it is too and i have three things to say: fuck him. keep your shitty stuff off this forum. take it to fucking ebay where someone might actually give a shit.
    As always, I think Mike70 rules! Thanks brother!

Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Oh really, I think I'll be looking into this...
    Thanks Cap. Though I never wished for this dude to get official flak, I know that you are a fair mod, and a decent fellow, so I am sure that he will be treated fairly. Whatever the repercussions might be for his posts, he - and not anyone else including myself - is ultimately the one responsible for his actions. Peace, brother Cap!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Yojimbo, speaking as a friend and head of the forums.. i do not think you crossed a line and we welcome all members to post their opinions and thoughts, unless obscene or overly insulting which yours was not (if im thinking of the same guy )

While we do permit advertising and welcome all members to promote their own products and sites, we do ask that anyone advertising contributes to the forums and becomes a name themselves first, as we consider it insulting for someone to register with the sole intent of advertising, no doubt you have seen numerous topics closed down for this reason.

But anyway, no i dont think you were over the line.
    Andy, I appreciate your support. Your supervision of the forums has always been fair and balanced, and your take on this situation is very much appreciated. You, along with your cohorts, provide a very cool environment for us members, and I don't think that I have said enough in the past to convey my appreciation of this to you all. At the expense of sounding even more ass-kissy- if that is even possible - you dudes are in a large way the primary reason why HPOTD continues to be my favorite zombie-themed forum to post on and communicate with my internet friends and extended family. I am certain that my fellow zombie/ghoul freaks feel the same. Thanks again, brother Andy - you rule big time!

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy911sc View Post
    I remember the post as well...to hell with it...it was a form of spam...I think it is alright to as an opinion of your product from people who, obviosly, would be considered your niche market, but to not want input just sales is wrong. People should not join a forum to just sell stuff, that is not what they are for!

By the way take a look at my ebay store... Just Kidding.

Forgetaboutit
    Skip, thanks for your thoughts on this, and for the backup. It makes things seem so much better hearing that - at least on this issue - you and I are of like minds on this. Forgetaboutit I will! Peace, brother Skip!
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 07-May-2009 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    not sure who your on about this time but ive commented on certain people who post only to advertise there crap and ive never thought ive gone over the line, you want to just come here, to a site thats more of a community than 10,000 retards spewing verbal diarrhea at once tring to be heard like gametrailers and advertise your book or film or something but not even reply to anything besides "how can i give you money for this" then i say its fair to call them out on it as long as its not khardis style "I AM RIGHT YOU SHOULD BE SHOT" flaming.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    not sure who your on about this time but ive commented on certain people who post only to advertise there crap and ive never thought ive gone over the line, you want to just come here, to a site thats more of a community than 10,000 retards spewing verbal diarrhea at once tring to be heard like gametrailers and advertise your book or film or something but not even reply to anything besides "how can i give you money for this" then i say its fair to call them out on it as long as its not khardis style "I AM RIGHT YOU SHOULD BE SHOT" flaming.
    Well said and welcome back, Hells!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany