Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Dawn 78' Vs Dawn 04

Undisclosed
    The Dead is very much worth keeping. Do check it out! You'll love it.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    The Dead is very much worth keeping. Do check it out! You'll love it.
    What he said.

Cracking movie, one of the best modern zombie flicks for a long time!
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I thought it was rather generic and a bit boring. Not horrible by any means, just nothing truly special. In a genre where 95% of the efforts are crap, it makes the mediocre ones seem better.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I thought it was rather generic and a bit boring. Not horrible by any means, just nothing truly special. In a genre where 95% of the efforts are crap, it makes the mediocre ones seem better.
    It's possible that the beautiful African setting also elevated it somewhat, but still, I really enjoyed it.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Undisclosed
    The Dead generic? I can understand some of you guys think it's boring because of the oppressive feel of the film. It's all dread and no hope ... In that sense it could not be farther removed from 'fun' and 'safe' depictions of the zombie apocalypse out there, like the TWD series. It's very different from what this genre had to offer these past few decades (Shaun, Zombieland, 28 days/weeks, Land, Dawn remake, TWD series, ...)

In fact it's so different from any other zombie film since the seventies/early eighties that it's anything but generic.
    I suggest giving it another shot.
    Last edited by krisvds; 30-Mar-2013 at 06:19 AM. Reason: .

Scotland
    I watched The Dead a few weeks ago, good enough to watch again. I loved the setting. A truly bad z-movie, Flight of the Living Dead. It's sooooooo bad !
    Last edited by Morto Vivente; 09-Apr-2013 at 12:32 PM. Reason: after-thought

Aaland
    ref Dawn 78' Vs Dawn 04

I never saw 04 as a remake, while it was ye olde zombies at a+mall ....it was like a different mall with a different vibe intro and outro...not so hot on running zombies but the highish production values half decent script and acting hung together well enough. Its not the movie i would of made but if asked to do a clone i would of probably reached for a lot of things they reached for.

That is to say that Dawn 04 was a good enough movie to stand on it own feet....and good enough to be just another movie you watched regardless of genre.

I have watched it twice, and perhaps one day i will watch it a third time...sure it was weak in places but as clone ish style movies go it was ok. They added a 101 well executed motifs, id didn't suck hairy sack of potatoes....UNLIKE almost every other zombie wanna be film ive watched

Its gets the " Hey i didn't suck really bad award"
    ...and then some !

I saw 78 not long after it came out, it always was and always will be the gold standard, because it did all the right things. Its a B movie with an A rating and while its possible to beat it your not going bury it alive any time this century that's for sure.
    Last edited by Silentdawn; 20-Aug-2013 at 12:11 PM. Reason: adding

UK
    i wasnt happy that they jumped on the dawn bandwagon and made a remake of it. I have watched it but i dont like it as a remake
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

United States
    I liked The Dead although I had a problem with the character's logic (or lack thereof lol). How in the name of Jupiter's BALLS do they think it's okay to only setup a perimeter of wire & tin cans to keep them safe for the night when they KNOW the undead are shuffling around everywhere? I mean damn, sleep up in a tree or at the very least make a perimeter circle of cut bushes placed next to each other facing outwards, THEN weave your wire & tin cans into the bushes.
    Naa, we'll just sleep on the ground... it'll be fine. CHOMP!
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 28-Nov-2013 at 12:03 AM. Reason: edit
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    I not sure Snyder had much control over Dawn04. Watching the movie with the directors commentary on, there are a couple of scenes where he flat out states he had no idea why they filmed those scenes, he was just doing what he was told.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicycho View Post
    I not sure Snyder had much control over Dawn04. Watching the movie with the directors commentary on, there are a couple of scenes where he flat out states he had no idea why they filmed those scenes, he was just doing what he was told.
    Which scenes was he referencing, out of interest?

Also, welcome back to the forums.

Undisclosed
    I'm watching Dawn '04 tonight.

Wow is this a hilariously bad film! I went and saw it when it was new and bought the DVD when it came out and watched it a good bit in the 2000's, but wow, this thing didn't hold up at all. Luckily its just bad enough to be funny without being boring.

I honestly hope the Nostalgia Critic reviews it for Halloween soon. Its old enough by now to warrant such a treatment.

Aaland
    Saw this when it came out and never bothered to watch it again. A okay zombie film on it's own, but as a remake of Dawn of the dead, it falls flat.

England
    I can sort of understand why people get bent out of shape about name-rape or whatever, but on the other hand, when I watched Dawn 04 or WWZ, it's not like they kept displaying the name of the film on the screen every 5 seconds and shouting "YOU ARE WATCHING DAWN 04!!!"

I just enjoyed them for what they were, 90 minutes of a bit of blood soaked zombie action. I mean, if you watched a movie called "watching paint dry whilst standing on a giant smelly turd" that was really good, the name wouldn't bother you that much.
    Last edited by Legion2213; 09-Aug-2014 at 08:23 PM. Reason: .

Undisclosed
    Meh, I enjoyed the movie. I prefer the original, but the movie was enjoyable. I would take it over WWZ in a second and the first bit of it was very good. I think the main draw back was with there being too many characters. I do not get people saying it is horrible, does not hold up and so on. Seems to still be fine to me. One of the better zombie films produced recently really. I prefer the Dead and Dead 2 for atmosphere and more of a classic feel but this was a good movie.