Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
Results 211 to 219 of 219

Thread: Dawn 78' Vs Dawn 04

  1. #211
    Just been bitten LivingDeadGuy's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Cemetery
    Posts
    139
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopegiver View Post
    Fair enough. Again, the original is still my all time favorite movie. Now is there anything you liked about the '04 version?
    The one thing I admit to liking is the remix of the song "getting down with the sickness". Lol

  2. #212
    Dying
    Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    418
    United States
    Another thing: the remake did NOT feature the biker gang assault on the shopping mall. How can you have a Dawn remake without a rendition of one of its most iconic sequences??? It's like if someone made a remake of Fulci's Zombie and there was no rendition of the shark vs zombie sequence, or the splinter-through-the-eye scene, or the group of zombies munching on Mrs. Menard's corpse sequence, or the Conquistador zombies rising from their graves sequence... total BLASPHEMY!

    Note: obviously with the super-athlete zombies of the Dawn remake there could not be a biker assault on the shopping mall sequence. This is one of the disadvantages of introducing these exaggeratedly fast zombies that make Usain Bolt look like a turtle in comparison. In fact pretty much no one would have a chance of surviving if zombies were so fast, even an armed biker gang like the one in the original Dawn would be overwhelmed by them pretty fast.

  3. #213
    Just been bitten LivingDeadGuy's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Cemetery
    Posts
    139
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Another thing: the remake did NOT feature the biker gang assault on the shopping mall. How can you have a Dawn remake without a rendition of one of its most iconic sequences??? It's like if someone made a remake of Fulci's Zombie and there was no rendition of the shark vs zombie sequence, or the splinter-through-the-eye scene, or the group of zombies munching on Mrs. Menard's corpse sequence, or the Conquistador zombies rising from their graves sequence... total BLASPHEMY!

    Note: obviously with the super-athlete zombies of the Dawn remake there could not be a biker assault on the shopping mall sequence. This is one of the disadvantages of introducing these exaggeratedly fast zombies that make Usain Bolt look like a turtle in comparison. In fact pretty much no one would have a chance of surviving if zombies were so fast, even an armed biker gang like the one in the original Dawn would be overwhelmed by them pretty fast.
    Well on the other hand that's exactly what makes the fast zombies scary is the fact that realistically nobody would ever be able to survive them. While I do enjoy the shamblers more they kind of give the human characters too much of a fighting chance because they are so slow and easy to kill. Also I kind of like zombies that are intelligent enough to use weapons like the ones in Nightmare City, the shibito in the Siren games, and of course Bub in Day of the Dead. To me nothing is more terrifying in a zombie outbreak than a zombie coming at you with a blade or gun.

  4. #214
    Fresh Meat Hopegiver's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    48
    Posts
    24
    Undisclosed

    Snapping fingers

    Quote Originally Posted by LivingDeadGuy View Post
    The one thing I admit to liking is the remix of the song "getting down with the sickness". Lol
    Oh, yeah. Very lounge singer-esque! Lol

    - - - Updated - - -

    JDP,
    - - - Updated - - -

    I love that you posted the question....then provided a great answer.
    Last edited by Hopegiver; 28-Apr-2017 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Wrong response line
    "Don't let the name fool you, there is no Hope in a world of the dead."

  5. #215
    Just been bitten LivingDeadGuy's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Cemetery
    Posts
    139
    United States
    One thing that sorta bothered me in the original version was the female character chain smoking while she was pregnant. I know this was an old movie made back when everybody used to smoke and drink but doing so could have been potentially harmful to her unborn baby. But like I already know this movie was made in the 70's and I'm sure a lot of women did the same thing during their pregnancies because they didn't know better.
    Just a zombie girl on a Saturday night. <3

  6. #216
    Team Rick MinionZombie's Avatar
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Mandatorium
    Posts
    21,159
    UK
    Quote Originally Posted by LivingDeadGuy View Post
    One thing that sorta bothered me in the original version was the female character chain smoking while she was pregnant. I know this was an old movie made back when everybody used to smoke and drink but doing so could have been potentially harmful to her unborn baby. But like I already know this movie was made in the 70's and I'm sure a lot of women did the same thing during their pregnancies because they didn't know better.
    You've already answered your issue - it was the 1970s.

    In the 1950s/60s you had Doctors, of all people, smoking in their office while examining patients. Hell, Doctors at one point even appeared in advertisements recommending particular brands of cigarettes. Smoking was once considered a decided luxury and something that was the preserve of the well off and highly educated.

    Smoking while pregnant in the 1970s was just part of the landscape. Totally wrong as something to do, as we now know, but at the time it was either not even thought about or people didn't give a shit. Totally bizarre by today's standards, but film provides an interesting opportunity to examine parts of how our society used to be. You look at something like Mad Men, for example, and the sheer amount of drinking they did during work hours. Hell, that was still going on in the 1980s as a matter of total routine. I even recall visiting my Dad's office when I was a very small kid and I clearly remember the drinks cabinet that was there to pour clients a generous helping of Whiskey! But it was the norm back then.

  7. #217
    Just been bitten LivingDeadGuy's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Cemetery
    Posts
    139
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    You've already answered your issue - it was the 1970s.

    In the 1950s/60s you had Doctors, of all people, smoking in their office while examining patients. Hell, Doctors at one point even appeared in advertisements recommending particular brands of cigarettes. Smoking was once considered a decided luxury and something that was the preserve of the well off and highly educated.

    Smoking while pregnant in the 1970s was just part of the landscape. Totally wrong as something to do, as we now know, but at the time it was either not even thought about or people didn't give a shit. Totally bizarre by today's standards, but film provides an interesting opportunity to examine parts of how our society used to be. You look at something like Mad Men, for example, and the sheer amount of drinking they did during work hours. Hell, that was still going on in the 1980s as a matter of total routine. I even recall visiting my Dad's office when I was a very small kid and I clearly remember the drinks cabinet that was there to pour clients a generous helping of Whiskey! But it was the norm back then.
    Haha true. Times really have changed and even though movies and tv shows are unrealistic for the most part they do provide us with a window into the decades that they were filmed or set in.
    Just a zombie girl on a Saturday night. <3

  8. #218
    Fresh Meat Hopegiver's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    48
    Posts
    24
    Undisclosed

    Smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by LivingDeadGuy View Post
    Haha true. Times really have changed and even though movies and tv shows are unrealistic for the most part they do provide us with a window into the decades that they were filmed or set in.
    Just wanted to chime in with my agreement. Sometimes I watch an older movie and I'll suddenly notice..."Damn, everyone's smoking!".....Lol
    "Don't let the name fool you, there is no Hope in a world of the dead."

  9. #219
    Just been bitten LivingDeadGuy's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Cemetery
    Posts
    139
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopegiver View Post
    Just wanted to chime in with my agreement. Sometimes I watch an older movie and I'll suddenly notice..."Damn, everyone's smoking!".....Lol
    Or "Damn... There's nothing but white people in this movie!"
    Last edited by LivingDeadGuy; 10-May-2017 at 04:00 AM. Reason: fixed
    Just a zombie girl on a Saturday night. <3

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •