Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Dawn 78' Vs Dawn 04

United States
    Dawn of the Dead 2004 is easy to watch for pure entertainment value. With Land of the Dead there are so many glaring errors and logical inconsistencies that it's difficlut to watch the entire movie. Dead Reckoning is a cool vehicle, but the rest of the film...

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I never understood why people think this is such a silly concept? If a women is pregnant and gets bite, and we have established that in snyders universe, it is a virus and passed on by bodilly fluid transfer, then it seems perfectly logical to me that a unborn baby would also become infected and die, then reanimate inside the women.

I agree it could of been better executed, but it was a good idea i think.
    Agreed.

Is it any sillier than the pie fight? Surely they could have found another way to blow off steam.

Is it any siller than a dude (tony buba?) checking his blood pressure in the middle of a horde? Which one is more likely to have the audience rolling their eyes? Zombie baby or a dude oblivious to a horde of undead canibals in order to see if his cholesterol is high?

Dawn 78' s probably my fav film of all time, defo top 5, mostly for sentimental reasons but let's not get nuts here.

Last edited by darth los; 07-Mar-2011 at 03:50 PM. Reason: .
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebiter View Post
    Dawn of the Dead 2004 is easy to watch for pure entertainment value. With Land of the Dead there are so many glaring errors and logical inconsistencies that it's difficlut to watch the entire movie. Dead Reckoning is a cool vehicle, but the rest of the film...
    I think both movies had the characteristic that to really enjoy them you have to turn off your brain. I think Land makes it a tad more difficult because your brain expects to be able to remain on with any GAR movie. I mean, Dawn 2004 just makes no sense start to finish from a plot perspective and no one holds that against it. Land gives you a scrap of plausibility to cling to then rips it away.

Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Which one is more likely to have the audience rolling their eyes? Zombie baby or a dude oblivious to a horde of undead canibals in order to see if his cholesterol is high?
    I just gotta say, zombie baby wins the eye roll contest with me hands down. I just cringe every single time that part of the movie comes around. I'll turn off the TV rather than sit through it. I can watch the movie up to that point. I can watch the movie after that point. But I turn off zombie baby.
    Last edited by Trin; 07-Mar-2011 at 04:06 PM. Reason: cuz
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The heart monitor and pie fight are ways of showing the bikers' complacency among the dead. They've been "living on the road all through this thing" and have lost the good sense to keep on their toes. Imo, the two shouldn't really be compared. One fits within the telling of the story, while the other is a pure "OMG letz shock em wit da dead babiez!".

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    "OMG letz shock em wit da dead babiez!".
    It's interesting how one scene can either be enjoyed or render the film unwatchable. Fair enough if only for the text talk line. Good stuff.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    See... yeah... I liked Land, though... like, more than most here, I'd say... But whatever, right?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    See... yeah... I liked Land, though... like, more than most here, I'd say... But whatever, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    The heart monitor and pie fight are ways of showing the bikers' complacency among the dead.
    Pie fight fo sure.

But, Heart monitor biker is still one of the most ridiculous scenes in the entire trilogy fo me. I guess the Mexican hat-wearing biker was just one of the stupid ones?

Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    In other words, it's your favorite!

Admit! You know it to be true!

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Of the new three, maybe, yeah... Dawn still does it for me, though... Especially the Peter... Peter! scene... every time, man.

United States
    The more I watch Diary or Survival the more I like Land. Land is very watchable now.

I was one of the people who said that Land would not get better over time, and I admit that this is directly in contradiction of that opinion, but this isn't a win for Land. So not a win.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Banned
    Banned User

Aaland
    I was so pumped up going to see LOTD.
    I was going to smash the outside glass case and steal the poster,..
    after I saw it I left the lawbreaking to others.

Sorry
    Thought this was the Bland vs Yawn area
    Last edited by Tom Price; 26-Mar-2011 at 02:28 AM. Reason: confused

Undisclosed
    Alot of you grew up with tapes or dvds and you were able to watch these movies whenever you wanted to, so I guess you take them for granted. I guess you can be a little more critical. I actuallysaw NOTLD 68 the year it came out. It was the second feature at a drive-in in Elmsford, New York. I was only ten years old at the time but it scared the living hell out of me and I have loved zombies ever since. It was some years before Night ever went on tv, and obviously even more years before Dawn came out. What I'm trying to say in short is I try to be more lenient when it comes to a zed movie because I remember a time when you had to wait years to see one.

Being Attacked

United States
    I saw NotLD in high school when the Science Fiction club rented a 16mm copy. DotD I saw in the theaters when in it's original release when it was at the $1 movies (on it's way out). I'm so thankful to my friend that insisted we see it rather then the other movie playing. Of course, I worked the midnight shift at the time as a security guard at a large creepy manufacturing plant/compound by myself and I had to deal with being insanely jumpy at work that night.

WN

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by zomtom View Post
    It was the second feature at a drive-in in Elmsford, New York
    I'm in Westchester currently (grew up further north in Mid-Hudosn Valley), very cool to see someone who lived (or passed thrw?) the area. Any idea where the drive-in was in relation to current landmarks? I don't know Emsford too well, but I've worked in Tarrytown in the past and been to the cinemas around Greenburgh and the Saw Mill River cinemas in the past.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I'm in Westchester currently (grew up further north in Mid-Hudosn Valley), very cool to see someone who lived (or passed thrw?) the area. Any idea where the drive-in was in relation to current landmarks? I don't know Emsford too well, but I've worked in Tarrytown in the past and been to the cinemas around Greenburgh and the Saw Mill River cinemas in the past.
    I can't remember the road it was on tho there was a huge store called Masters across the road from it. I remember we used to drive back home to Yonkers on the Saw Mill River Parkway. When I read World War Z, that just blew me away because I didn't have to use too much of my imagination to envision it.

United States
    I really liked Dawn '04 right up until the 3rd act of the film, then it just really falls apart. The characters just behave in such a mindless way towards the end that it really takes me out of the flick.

"To further complicate, I will now state, that your convictions lack definition and form."