Thread: Is Evil Dead a remake or a sequel?

Fresh Meat

Aaland

Is Evil Dead a remake or a sequel?

I'm not a huge fan of the Evil Dead movies but I liked the second one and I thought the third one was ok. And I wanted to know if the new Evil Dead movie coming out is a remake or a sequel.

P.S. Don't mean and say stuff like "the first movie was called The Evil Dead so why would the fourth one be called Evil Dead" well the sequel to Alien was called AlienS.

Super Moderator

UK
    "Evil Dead" (2013, Fede Alvarez) is a remake and sits outside of the Bruce Campbell films entirely.

It wasn't awful, but it wasn't awesome either ... although I did like it all-said-and-done. There were some things I rather disliked about it, but I liked far more than I disliked (and I'm a huge fan of the original movies), so I was mostly quite pleased with it. There have been better remakes (albeit only a very select few), but there's also been many remakes that have been far worse.

Fortunately we are also going to get an Evil Dead sequel in the form of "Army of Darkness 2" (so it'll be a direct follow-up to the third movie, probably with a time gap following on from the original ending where he went too far into the future). It's being written at the moment and the last I heard Sam Raimi was on-board as is Bruce Campbell.

I also think there are plans for a sequel to the 2013 remake, although that's on the back burner at the moment as AoD2 comes first.

Fresh Meat
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

England
    Actually that's not entirely true; ED13 is closer to a "requel" that takes the original story and remakes it, but still technically works within the confines of the canon.
    There are several examples of this within the film - the tape of Cheryl, the Oldsmobile outside the cabin, Bruce Campbell's cameo at the end of the movie.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricFire169 View Post
    Actually that's not entirely true; ED13 is closer to a "requel" that takes the original story and remakes it, but still technically works within the confines of the canon.
    There are several examples of this within the film - the tape of Cheryl, the Oldsmobile outside the cabin, Bruce Campbell's cameo at the end of the movie.
    Those are more nods and winks to the audience than anything concrete. The BC "groovy" on the end credits in particular was just something they threw in at the end as a bit of fun, and if there was any motivation to it beyond 'a bit of fun' it'd be to help judge the current appetite for more Bruce Campbell as Ash in Evil Dead (subsequently they did the TV series Ash vs Evil Dead).

It's common practice to put nods and winks to the audience in various remakes, be it copying shots, using cast members from the old movie in the new movie but in a new role, re-using a prop for set dressing or maybe a location ... they're there for those who can find those easter eggs, a bit of fan service. If they were meant for anything more than that, then much more would be made of those things in the movie - e.g. the car in Evil Dead 2013, it was merely set dressing and a wink to the fans. If it was to be anything more than that it would have been used for much more than just a place for the lead to park her rump in one scene. You'd incorporate those elements into the story and weave the plot around them - but that doesn't happen - therefore just nods and winks to the fans IMHO.