Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Dawn 78' Vs Dawn 04

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy911sc View Post
    Dawn 04 should have been titled differently and then this discussion would be about how it was great...don't rip off the master and no harm will come to you. Although imitation is the truest form of flattery..right?
    Titled differently would've just resulted in a different set of problems. Then it's a rip off from an upstart that doesn't even have the respect to acknowledge the original. Personally, I think that set of problems would've been harder to overcome. At least as a Remake it is tipping its hat to the original.

Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    ...the only common factors are zombies and a Mall.
    And that's all it takes. Dawn '78 was so iconic that having "zombies and a mall" is enough to be standing on its turf. Everyone knows it, and that's why Dead Rising is battling over it.

Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Much hypocrisy arises out of the debate about DAWN 04, but no matter how you slice it, dice it mince it and mash it, DAWN 04 is basically a stand alone film.
    All hating aside, I wouldn't say it's a rip-off. It introduced too many concepts unique to itself, as Deej mentions. So whether you like the movie or not it stands on its own as a movie.

But it also cashes in on the name of its predecessor. To say it is not tied to the apron strings of 20 years of Dawn fandom is just blind.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    And that's all it takes. Dawn '78 was so iconic that having "zombies and a mall" is enough to be standing on its turf. Everyone knows it, and that's why Dead Rising is battling over it.

Dammit!!. I was just about to say the same thing.

John russo certainly seems to think zombies and a mall equal royalties.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

United States
    Yeah, Trin, this was a pretty well balanced post (somewhat rare in Dawn '78 v. Dawn 04 thread) with a lot of good points, man. Well said

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Yeah, Trin, this was a pretty well balanced post (somewhat rare in Dawn '78 v. Dawn 04 thread) with a lot of good points, man. Well said

I believe you just came up with an Idea for a never ending thread dude. Nay, that can constitute a new forum section akin to dead discussion since this topic never seems to die. Hmmmmmmm........

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Never-ending thread = "Why people dislike Land vs. Dawn '04"

England
    I prefered Dawn 04 to Land of the Dead and Diary of the dead...

I am not Zack Snyder.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Hey, your alive! Strange, too I was actually thinking about HPOTD a day or two ago, and remembered you. Welcome Back!

Undisclosed
    Say what you want about Dawn 04'; the first ten minutes were epic. It had it's strong points and I'm a fan. Does it hold a candle to Dawn 78? Hardly. That being said, Romero's Dawn had that STUPID pie throwing scene. Without that scene, that movie could have been perfection; in my opinion.

United States
    You're right about Dawn '04 and the first 10 minutes. They were pretty epic. I'd say the same thing about the first 15 minutes of Land.

The pie fight scene may have been stupid but it didn't hurt the movie for me. I didn't really even care about it until joining HPOTD and hearing all the gripes about it. Now I hate it just because it's so overused as evidence that Dawn '78 was not so great as I want to believe. lol

I'd say that zombie baby in Dawn '04 is every bit as stupid as the pie fight, and that part DID bother me right from the first viewing. I hate zombie baby. I'm glad they shot it.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    I'd say that zombie baby in Dawn '04 is every bit as stupid as the pie fight, and that part DID bother me right from the first viewing. I hate zombie baby. I'm glad they shot it.
    I never quite understood the active griping and dislike of the zombie baby in Dawn '04. Is it the premise you think or how it was used in the film, Trin?

I'm honestly wondering.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The zombie baby was a silly concept on top of horrible execution. Just an abomination from the start all the way to the finish.

However, the pie fight makes perfect sense for those Bikers in Dawn. It's not that silly. It's basically exposition for the gang and their general mindset on the situation surrounding them.
    Last edited by bassman; 25-Feb-2011 at 02:43 PM. Reason: .

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    However, the pie fight makes perfect sense for those Bikers in Dawn. It's not that silly. It's basically exposition for the gang and their general mindset on the situation surrounding them.
    I totally agree with this.

Administrator

England
    The zombie baby was a silly concept on top of horrible execution. Just an abomination from the start all the way to the finish.
    I never understood why people think this is such a silly concept? If a women is pregnant and gets bite, and we have established that in snyders universe, it is a virus and passed on by bodilly fluid transfer, then it seems perfectly logical to me that a unborn baby would also become infected and die, then reanimate inside the women.

I agree it could of been better executed, but it was a good idea i think.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Sure, theoretically it's possible within the realm of the film, but as an idea to sell to an audience it's just absurd. Just because it can be done doesn't mean that it should.

I've often wondered if they considered having the newborn jump up and run around. Now THAT would've made it enjoyable.

United States

Agreed 100% on both topics.

The pie fight (along with a lot of the biker gang's flippant activity) was evidence of how they were treating the zombie apocalypse. They'd long since gotten over that these were potentially friends and loved ones. They had a "kid in a candystore" mentality. They were not overly concerned about the dangers. They'd obviously learned how to survive. It was good fodder to show us how they'd respond to reason or intellect, thus magnifying the plight of the survivors.

Zombie baby was just a bad idea. It came off to me as, "Oooh, look what cool thing we thought of." The black guy clutching to the idea of delivering his baby into the world as if it was some kind of destiny, while watching his girl devolve into a mindless thing, and all the while concealing the threat to the group. It's just a big pile stink sandwich. Yes, it's not out of bounds for the phenomenon. That's not good enough to make it watchable.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.