Thread: Martial Arts movie soft spots

capncnut

Martial Arts movie soft spots

As many martial arts fans know, with every ten good movies, there's fifty utter gash movies. The purpose of this thread is to dig into those gash movies and admit what ones that you like, and why.

For me, The Old Master sucks but has a spirited performance from Bill Louie, who is quite a nifty fighter in the scheme of things. Also, Kung Fu grandad, Joseph Kuo's (Jackie Chan's real-life master) disco dance to Popeye The Sailor Man, is utterly hilarious.

The Game Of Death 2. Pure Bruce Lee rip-offage but has some incredible choreography courtesy of Yuen Woo-Ping, who was the action-director of The Matrix and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. I can suffer it even though it is an unadulterated pile of shat.

Okay, sadness forthcoming, No Retreat, No Surrender - the film is crap, the worst crap you will ever see (perhaps barring Fist Of Unicorn) but the whole Bruce Lee resurrection scene has me in fits. For that one scene alone, it is worth a thousand bucks.

Anyone?

Undisclosed
    Well, I'm a bit more modern than traditional martial arts. A bit of muy thai, karate striking, shotokan submissions, judo, or the modern brazillian jui jitsui all works just fine. I'd rather choke out a naysayer than break my knuckles on their skull. Knees and elbows people, not fists.
    Last edited by Crappingbear; 08-May-2009 at 08:33 AM.

ViP

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Joseph Kuo's (Jackie Chan's real-life master)
    I'm not sure who Kuo is, but the only master I even knew Jackie to have was master Yuen from the Chinese opera school (also Sammo, Yuen Wo Ping and Corey Yuen's master). I read his auto and Kuo is not ringing a bell.

One of my favorites is Warriors of Kung Fu starring brutal leg man Cassanova Wong. Basically, the main baddie kills the father of two young twin boys. When they try and attack, he blinds one of them and strikes the other one dumb. For some reason the kids end up separated and wadering the forest for life. Well they eventually find each other and hunt down the baddies one by one, but not before they have a fireside cry (hilarious!). Apparently when dumb folks cry, they howl like wolf lol.

I am pretty big into these types of films, so any film that is something other than folks walking around in the woods is high budget to me

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    I'm not sure who Kuo is, but the only master I even knew Jackie to have was master Yuen from the Chinese opera school (also Sammo, Yuen Wo Ping and Corey Yuen's master). I read his auto and Kuo is not ringing a bell.
    My bad. It's Yu Jim Yuen. I got the names muddled with the director of the film.

United States
    When I was younger I loooved The Last Dragon. Cheesy as all get out, but I loved the music, the underdog, and there were some good moves. Good times, good times... Sigh

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnGirl27 View Post
    When I was younger I loooved The Last Dragon. Cheesy as all get out, but I loved the music, the underdog, and there were some good moves. Good times, good times... Sigh
    "Who's the Master?!?!?!"

"Sho Nuff!!!"

United States
    Crippled Masters. . . the most disturbing Kung Fu film ever. Awesome!!!
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    "Who's the Master?!?!?!"

"Sho Nuff!!!"

Oh, yeah!
    Heard that a remake is in the works with Samuel L. Jackson to take on Sho' Nuff...

ViP

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnGirl27 View Post
    Oh, yeah!
    Heard that a remake is in the works with Samuel L. Jackson to take on Sho' Nuff...
    I had heard they were working on a sequel, which is long overdue. Since Julius Charles has now passed, I think Busta Rhymes should take on the part.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    I had heard they were working on a sequel, which is long overdue. Since Julius Charles has now passed, I think Busta Rhymes should take on the part.

There is a resemblance with Busta...I think he could own the role pretty well.
    Good idea, axlish!
    Last edited by DawnGirl27; 10-May-2009 at 08:29 PM.