Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Insect bites- ARGH!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    Midges. *L* You people have funny words for things.

My advice is prevention. Is insect repellant w/ deet easy to find over there? If so, then using a formula w/ the highest amount of deet. Such as Off! or Cutter.

For treatment, keep using the cream, but also use tablets. It gets into blood. I recommend Benadryl tablets if they are available in your area.

Midges. *L*

Dude, I had the exact same reaction when I read that word. It looks and sounds alot like minge (which requires no explanation )

Had that been the case it would have put the entire O.P. into a different context to be sure.

But anyways....carry on.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Do you guys have HORSE FLIES over in the UK? If you think midges hurt... try getting bit by a horse fly. Ho-ly-shit.

Undisclosed
    Calamine does work well, you just look like you bathed in Pepto Bismol.

Benadryl pills are essential as the antihistamine stops itching. They also make creams and non-greasy clear sprays so try both.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Do you guys have HORSE FLIES over in the UK? If you think midges hurt... try getting bit by a horse fly. Ho-ly-shit.
    My mums house is located in front of a boggy field between a lake and a brooke. Mowing the lawn could easily result in 5+ bites. Those fucking bites wouldn't stop bleeding either. Horse flies were the bane of my lawn-mowing life whilke I was at home.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Yeah, in Scotland we call them cleggs, at least I think they're the same thing. The thing about midges is that their bites don't really hurt so much as ITCH LIKE HELL. Pain I can deal with, but a crawly, itchy feeling all over my skin on a hot, clammy summer's evening just drives me insane.

Here are the main midge species in Scotland:

C. impunctatus - The infamous Highland Biting Midge
    C. heliophilus - All-day flier rather than mornings and evenings
    C. newsteadii - Painful biter also known as the "beast of Arrochar"
    C. nubeculosus - Often found near sheep and cattle
    C. obsoletus - The garden midge. Not as painful a bite as the Highland midge, but very persistent (I think this is the main species found south of the border)

Some more information on Midges: http://www.wyrdology.com/edinburgh/midges/index.html
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 16-May-2009 at 10:07 AM.

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Midges (where I live it's pronounced Midjies) are a tiny insect very common in the UK, particularly in damp rural areas, PARTICULARLY in Scotland.
    Oh ffs, I'm in Glasgow next week! *cries*

Do you guys have HORSE FLIES over in the UK?
    Yes, but I've never been bitten by one, thankfully. Don't they just scratch you until you bleed rather than drinking blood like a mosquito?

Quote Originally Posted by Crappingbear View Post
    Benadryl pills are essential as the antihistamine stops itching.
    This morning I bought:

on the recommendation of my pharmacist. I had a bit of a diva moment in the chemist and asked to see "whoever's in charge" to get their advice on the most hardcore antihistamines they had available, and apparently it's these ones. The red bumps need to be gone by Tuesday morning at the absolute latest

My waxer nearly screamed when she saw my skin this morning. lol. I'm spending the rest of the day in jeans, a long sleeved poloneck and scarf to hide my hideous pox

Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    The thing about midges is that their bites don't really hurt so much as ITCH LIKE HELL. Pain I can deal with, but a crawly, itchy feeling all over my skin on a hot, clammy summer's evening just drives me insane.
    Agreed. Plus there's loads of them, I counted 73 this morning I had to get up early and take a shower this morning because the itching was driving me mad and me scratching was driving Liam mad!
    Last edited by Chic Freak; 16-May-2009 at 10:32 AM.
    La freak, c'est chic!

.:Twitter:.:Facebook:.:Blogspot:.