Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Prometheus (Alien Prequel)

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post

Oh, and have you folks noticed that this and Alien seem to take place on different planets...

Prometheus - LV223

Alien - LV246
    Maybe its like what happened with Ceti Alpha 5 and Ceti Aplha 6?

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
    Maybe its like what happened with Ceti Alpha 5 and Ceti Aplha 6?

I was just watching a bit of Wrath of Kahn yesterday.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    okay, IS this canon or not? the trailers show the things they find arent the xenos from alien, but you also see something very similar to them in a mural.

I know theres copyright shit going down or something but ive not followed this that much, IS it connected or not?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    okay, IS this canon or not? the trailers show the things they find arent the xenos from alien, but you also see something very similar to them in a mural.

I know theres copyright shit going down or something but ive not followed this that much, IS it connected or not?
    They're definitely connected in the sense that it deals with the space jockey race. Whether or not it's the same jockey from Alien remains to be seen.

Super Moderator

UK
    Well obviously it's in the same universe, but it just doesn't deal with the same characters ... there are similar character types though, but it was interesting to hear Scott describe a while back that Alien was like the blue collar flick, and Prometheus is definitely white collar. Anyway, Prometheus is clearly in the same world and overall narrative as Alien, they're just not shoving the classic Xenomorph into it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The head of Fox studios has made a statement regarding the rating of Prometheus that has had many people upset:

"I can assure the fans—I’m very aware of their concern—absolutely they can take it that the film will not be compromised either way. So if that means that the film is R, then it’ll be an R. If it’s PG-13, then it’ll be a PG-13, but it will not be compromised."
    Also, there are some new promo images from the official site. I've posted three in particular because they should seem very familiar to fans of James Cameron's Aliens. Ridley Scott has always said that he liked what Cameron did with the sequel, but I didn't expect him to incorporate some of the same ideas. Very cool for fans...

The more I hear and see about Prometheus, i'm starting to think it will be the "birth" of the xenomorphs through genetic mutation. Possibly as a biological weapon to be used in war. Maybe Prometheus will show the birth of the alien queen that eventually lays the eggs that we see in Scott's original film and later in Aliens?...
    Last edited by bassman; 27-Apr-2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Aye, I too think Prometheus is about the origin, if you will, of what we saw in Alien ... or something origin-like.

Interesting to see those inclusions from Aliens too ... as for the rating, I recently read Scott talking about the rating and he said that they weren't particularly aiming for a rating, but he did seem to be leaning more to PG-13, which did kind of make me go "awwww", but equally it's not like Alien vs Predator, where you take two hard "R" franchises and then pussify them (with the inclusion of an atrocious script) ... so if Prometheus ends up as PG-13, then it must be 'as intended' from the script stage. He also said there's a moment to match the chest burster in terms of an audience jump, so we'll just have to see.

Either way it's good to see them saying they wouldn't compromise the film for a lower rating, but at the same time you wonder how can they be unsure of whether they'll get a PG-13 or an R rating?

Even if it was a PG-13 (although I'd prefer an R), Prometheus just looks so ruddy good that it wouldn't matter too much. Here in the UK it'll be a 15 no matter what (if only you Americans had a 15 rating, you could have something softer than an R, but not as pussified as a PG-13, generally speaking) ... I can't imagine it making 12A territory. If they had to cut The Woman In Black by a few seconds to secure a 12A, then there's no way Prometheus could be a 12A ... could there? It's all about the content of the film, naturally, but there's so much obfuscation with it all being treated as a huge secret (rightly so).

Oh, the intrigue...
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 27-Apr-2012 at 12:40 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Either way it's good to see them saying they wouldn't compromise the film for a lower rating, but at the same time you wonder how can they be unsure of whether they'll get a PG-13 or an R rating?
    Because the MPAA is a bunch of c*nts. The rating system is so screwed in America. Watch the documentary, "This Film is Not Yet Rated" to get a good idea of how f*cked the rating system is....

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    The more I hear and see about Prometheus, i'm starting to think it will be the "birth" of the xenomorphs through genetic mutation. Possibly as a biological weapon to be used in war.
    I really REALLY hope this is not what the xenomorph is for. The very idea is as stuipd as a box of frogs.

For such a random, unpredicable and dangerous (not to mention reproducing) creature to be used as some sort of weapon is absolutely absurd to me. As I probably said before in this thread, you don't replace an enemy with an even more dangerous enemy, especially one that can use the current enemy to enhance its numbers AND can take on some of the characteristics of that enemy too.

The idea is crazy.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    If the opposing force is wanting to take over the planet for their own reasons...sure...dropping the aliens is a poor plan. But to wipe out an entire planet just to kill it's inhabitants? Seems like a pretty good plan to me.

Ridley Scott has always posed the question whether or not the Space Jockey's ship was some sort of bomber and the eggs were it's cargo. Perhaps he was on his way to release those eggs when something went wrong? Maybe even on his way to Earth? I think it brings up lots of interesting questions, really.

Super Moderator

UK
    Because the MPAA is a bunch of c*nts. The rating system is so screwed in America. Watch the documentary, "This Film is Not Yet Rated" to get a good idea of how f*cked the rating system is....
    Aye I've seen that flick - great doc - I was quite surprised by the content.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It disturbs me that the thread for Prometheus is in the Media section, while the remake of THE MUMMY, of all things, is in horror.

Thangs be twisted, dawg...

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I really REALLY hope this is not what the xenomorph is for. The very idea is as stuipd as a box of frogs.

For such a random, unpredicable and dangerous (not to mention reproducing) creature to be used as some sort of weapon is absolutely absurd to me. As I probably said before in this thread, you don't replace an enemy with an even more dangerous enemy, especially one that can use the current enemy to enhance its numbers AND can take on some of the characteristics of that enemy too.

The idea is crazy.
    Agreed, I understand the plotline of Weyland Yutani wanting to exploit the Xenos as a weapon as in the second & third film, but for them to actually have been created as one? I hope they dont go down that route. I'd rather they were just some naturally occuring creature that happens to be extremely dangerous

Chasing Prey

Canada
    the head of fox studios has made a statement regarding the rating of prometheus that has had many people upset:

Also, there are some new promo images from the official site. I've posted three in particular because they should seem very familiar to fans of james cameron's aliens. Ridley scott has always said that he liked what cameron did with the sequel, but i didn't expect him to incorporate some of the same ideas. Very cool for fans...

the more i hear and see about prometheus, i'm starting to think it will be the "birth" of the xenomorphs through genetic mutation. Possibly as a biological weapon to be used in war. Maybe prometheus will show the birth of the alien queen that eventually lays the eggs that we see in scott's original film and later in aliens?...

sweet jesus!!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    International Launch Trailer. If you felt that the previous trailers may have given away too much, you should probably skip this one.