Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Prometheus (Alien Prequel)

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    im having to roll my eyes in distain at some reviews complaining- Just like with the f*cking thing prequel from last year- that it "feels like its setting up another movie at the end".

yeah. ITS CALLED F*CKING ALIEN.
    lol

Still, have you seen it Danny? If you have I'm sure you'll agree the movie they are setting up in Prometheus is definitely Prometheus 2.
    I'm not complaining though. Had a great time with it. Scott had some pretty big shoes to fill, namely his own, but did a good job. I'm ready for more, and when you see it you will have to agree the script leaves plenty of room for that. In fact it's not really a straight prequel to alien come to think of it ...

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    From the reviews i've read and the people i've talked to, it sounds like comparing this movie as a straight prequel to Alien may actually hurt it's chances. People are expecting it to be a direct descendant of Alien when it's actually something different, just set in the same universe.

In a nutshell: Don't expect Ridley Scott's 'Alien 2' and you'll find it's a decent little slice of science fiction.
    Last edited by bassman; 01-Jun-2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    lol

Still, have you seen it Danny? If you have I'm sure you'll agree the movie they are setting up in Prometheus is definitely Prometheus 2.
    I'm not complaining though. Had a great time with it. Scott had some pretty big shoes to fill, namely his own, but did a good job. I'm ready for more, and when you see it you will have to agree the script leaves plenty of room for that. In fact it's not really a straight prequel to alien come to think of it ...
    true but its like people who are complaining the trailer spoils that "people will fight and get killed off by an alien". At a certain point you are there for the journey and the character interaction and the endings a moot point. particularly in horror of all things.

Zombie Flesh Eater

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    From the reviews i've read and the people i've talked to, it sounds like comparing this movie as a straight prequel to Alien may actually hurt it's chances. People are expecting it to be a direct descendant of Alien when it's actually something different, just set in the same universe.
    I can tell you now that Prometheus is entirely of the same stock as Alien. It can't be escaped. Zeta Reticuli, Archeron, LV-223, etc. I would even go as far to say that it plunders heavily from the original story in many ways and redelivers differently, while making it a direct prequel to Alien.

Shameless self-promotion

It's victim of its own hype but still a damn good flick regardless. I'm off to see it again next week. I was going to go again today but couldn't find anywhere local that was showing it without all the 3D bollocks, which is my preference.

The George A. Romero Fan Assembly @ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/geor...rofanassembly/

Undisclosed
    A question for those who have watched it in 3d, how would you rate the quality compared to other movies shown in 3d?

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    I can tell you now that Prometheus is entirely of the same stock as Alien. It can't be escaped. Zeta Reticuli, Archeron, LV-223, etc. I would even go as far to say that it plunders heavily from the original story in many ways and redelivers differently, while making it a direct prequel to Alien.
    Yeah, it IS of the same stock, but I think many Alien-fans will leave the theatre thinking it doesn't lead as directly into 'Alien' as the term 'prequel' generally implies. Not in a 'the thing' sort of way.
    If anything, the script leaves more than enough room to lead into a direct sequel than into the first Alien.

@ slick. I didn't have much of a choice as the local cinema only showed the 3d version. I'm not a big fan of 3D and to me, only the 'scotland' scenes 'worked.' The rest, not so much. The film demands to be seen on a big screen as its visuals are its main quality (the plot, not so much ...) but I still don't see the benefits of this whole 3D thing.
    Last edited by krisvds; 02-Jun-2012 at 06:07 AM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I will write more when I get home,

but

(spoilers ahead)

But I am disappointed in the fact that had they only switched a few details around (VERY few!) this could have linked DIRECTLY into Alien. I am simply astounded by the fact that they didn't. It seems so pointless to build up sooo much, and yet not lead up to Alien.

Why was the planet called LV-223 instead of LV-426? It looked exactly the same, anyway.

The Engineer should have been left to die in the pilot seat, rather than go off and chase Noomi.

If it weren't for those two, minor things, this could have tied directly into what we saw in Alien. But it didn't and now somehow the plot seems rather... pointless.

There were also a myriad of unanswered subplots going on.

- Why did David poison Charlie?

- Why did one crewmember turn into a zombiespider? It didn't pay off.

- Why was nobody on the crew surprised when Peter Weyland and his possé suddenly turned up out of nowhere?

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    I had a whole massive review written out that expained my thoughts on the film and addressed some of EvilNeds concerns (basically I disagree that the whole "not lining up with Alien perfectly" being a bad thing, maybe I'll explain someday when I can be bothered reconstructing the several hundred words I lost in response to it), but lost it all when my browser crashed so I'm just going to copypaste a review I wrote yesterday, elsewhere on the internet:

Went to a midnight showing of this last night. I have to say (contrary to the thrashing it's getting on some corners of the internet) with my strategically-lowered expectations, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It has some downsides (MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD) - the ancient astronauts thing plays out VERY predictably, it's kinda slow in parts, there are one or two GODAWFUL lines of dialogue, Guy Pearce's whole perfomance is a joke, and the massive potential the of Space Jockey characters is somewhat (although, not totally) squandered.

It also doesn't feel anything like an Alien film - in place of claustrophobia and suffocating terror, we get characters traipsing back and forth over (beautiful) alien vistas and chillaxing in their luxuriant open-plan starship - but that's not altogether a bad thing here: for the first time in the franchise we have a film that is happy to be it's own thing, without trying to outdo what's been done before, without trying to be all things to all fans. It has the balls to be it's own film, and I can respect that; it has it's own unique atmosphere and vibe. In an age of Hollywood blockbusters constantly trying to out-amp each other with bigger, faster, shinier, Prometheus bucks the trend. Yes, it is a huge budget film. Yes, there are explosions and massively expensive action sequences, but it's not bursting with them. In its editing, pacing and direction it has much more in common with slow-burn 70s-80s sci-fi like The Thing, or even The Andromeda Strain, than it does with modern adrenaline-obsessed flicks like Resident Evil or Transformers. It's a beautiful-looking film too, not just in terms of effects (which, although often CGI, are amazing) but just the beauty of the cinematography. You know how in Suspiria, somehow every single frame looks like a perfectly-rendered oil painting even though it was shot for, in Hollywood terms, peanuts? Well this movie has some of the same magic, but on a huge scale. It looks like one of those awesome 70s sci-fi novel covers, and I've not even seen the 3D version yet.

I liked the characters, although some of them weren't developed enough, they all seemed like real people and there was an interesting mix of Alien-style blue-collar workers and Star Trek-esque professionals. Noomi Rapace's character is a refreshing change from both a) the typical withering scream queen and b) the cartoonish back-flipping, high-kicking femme-fatale that male sci-fi writers nowadays seem to feel the need to incorporate into everything in order to avoid accusations of "a". She's a sweet, down to earth character who acts believably (both in terror and great strength) to unbelievable danger and emotional crisis. Michael Fassbender, though, is OUTSTANDING and totally steals the show as David, the ship's android. Aliens played the moral-ambiguity of the Company-droid pretty well, but this movie takes it to a whole other level and he kept me guessing right to the end.

The creatures are pretty good. Although they lack the exact biomechanical detail of the Xenomorph, they still look like Giger must have been involved at some point in the design phase (I'm guessing he was) and they continue to tie in with the Freudian sexual metaphor of the other films,in different ways. You've seen one of them in the trailer - the worm thing - and there are at least three other types shown (Space Jockeys not included), and each of them forming a sort of evolutionary prototype to forms seen later in the chronology. It's fascinating to see how they get closer and closer, over the course of the film, to the creatures we know and love, and how the narrative toys with your expectations over it: I won't say too much, but a couple of times you see something that looks completely new in form, until it exhibits some chillingly familiar behaviour...

The move is not a constant battle between humans and aliens, though. I know I've already said that, but it's best to get that into your head now, and get your expectations under control. The whole first half of the movie is basically characters exploring and discussing ideas, so just don't be going in expecting Aliens.

I was worried the film would spoil the sense of mystery that the first film built up around the origins of the Jockeys and Xenos. Whilst, to some extent, this is the case, it actually throws open *more questions than it answers, and pretty interesting ones too. Whatever people think about it, I guarantee this movie will have people discussing aspects of it for decades to come.

Yeah, basically, in a nutshell: worthy.

Super Moderator

UK
    Regarding one of your questions Ned...

David and Charlie are having that conversation, and they're essentially asking the same questions and seeking to do things in the same way, but from different perspectives. The whole 'meet your maker' and 'because we could' stuff ... and then David asks 'how far would you go?' and Charlie responds saying he'd do anything - and of course David has his own orders (working with Weyland and Vickers), so in a way, Charlie almost gives David the nod to do the 'finger dip' to see what happens after he's infected. Charlie doesn't know of course, but again that circles back to the 'how far would you go' in search of answers thing.

Also, I agree, I did think the reveal of Weyland was surprisingly not surprising at all - it was obvious David had been talking with Weyland in the cryo unit, and with Vickers and him referring to him as "him" rather than Weyland didn't hide the reveal at all. I guessed who it was in the box immediately - so that was a tad strange/surprising that they didn't do much with that.

Dug the film though - one thing to think about when going in, is that it's all about beginnings...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Ok, I guess I'm about ready to lay down the hammer. I'm going to write a review here and keep it spoilerfree, but there will be a section marked by SPOILERS where I'll take the oppertunity to talk to those who've already seen the film.

First and foremost, it was a great film. It was visually beautiful and the design was top-notch. A refreshing sci-fi movie that's quite dissimilar to most other big budget sci-fis out there in it's tempo, it's focus on the mystical and discovery rather than action and the fantastic. I'd probably classify this as a straight up sci-fi thriller. There are a few brief action scenes, but most of them seem unnecessary to the plot itself.

There are some chilling parts of the film and what I really dug about this film was that it succesfully managed to focus on some things that really strike me as "alienesque", and that is Bodily Horror. There are parts of this film that made me irk and were really grosse, despite not being overly gory. There are several moneyshots and memorable scenes that made me go "Wow" when watching it.

The characters were a double edged sword. The main characters were all great. Noomi is damn hot in this one and a great actor to boot. She works really well as the innocent and curious scientist. Michael Fassbender as David was great as well, one really memorable character. You never really knew where you had him, and without him the plot wouldn't have been the same at all. He was cold at all times, but trying to project the image of politeness, but did it in such an ambiguous way that you kept guessing his motives.

But one thing I felt was that there really were too many characters. Because apart from Ellie Shaw and David the Android, the remaining characters felt underdeveloped. You never really got to know any of them. Charlize Theron's character felt pointless, I didn't know what she was doing there. Guy Pearce's character was left out a bit, and while I dug his motives (reminded me of a Roy Batty of Blade Runner) I would've liked to have seen more of it.

Add to that, there were various grunts and thugs who were given very little screentime. Probably for the best. But what bothered me about all these characters is that occasionally, as happens in these films, something drastic happens. Someone dies in a gruesome manner. Or something worse happens. A situation occurs. In most films you'd expect people to actually REACT to these events. In this film, not so much. Once a character gets offed, he's simply not mentioned anymore and everything goes back to normal instantly. There's a couple of things that happen that would make me go "Holy shit, what the hell is going on!?", but the characters proceed as if they've been in similar situations before and were almost expecting this to happen.

I realize that this is probably a result of the fact that there's not one plot going on here, like in the Alien films. There are several, multiple plots unfolding at the same time. I dare say there's probably one plot too many in there somewhere, but I can't really point out which one. But walking out of it, I did feel that there's simply too much going on and as a result, what I was really interested in was left unanswered (and indeed, it does feel that by the end of it, they don't even bother answering the main question posed of the film, and rather drop it for the sake of sensationalism and pleasing the Alien fans).

Visually, stunning. Interesting turn of events, good storyline, likeable characters and terrorizing horror. But a lack of depth in both characters and plotline left me feeling somewhat displeased. But trust me, I'll be the first in line to see the sequel which is obviously coming our way.

-- -------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

Ok, part two, for more indepth about what I didn't dig about the film. The only reason I'm adding this is because it's "a prequel" (of sorts) to Alien. Read at your own risk.

I'm not a huge fan of the fact that this doesn't tie in to Alien. I really thought it would. All the way through the film, up until the very final 5 minutes, I thought "Nice, they really managed to wrap this up great!", but then there's one thing that went me go "Uh, what? That's not how it's supposed to be.".

That's the Space Jockey character, of course. What threw me off was the fact that he didn't die in his chair, like they found him in Alien. He died in a completely different place.

It bothered me even more that they almost had it. If they'd just let him die in his chair instead, then THIS could very well have BEEN the prequel to Alien. But now, it's like 99% a prequel to Alien, but that missing 1% just makes the rest of the buildup pointless.

Why didn't they go all the way? It would have been soooo much more satisfying than what we got. Now, the ending felt... Wrong. For several reasons. But there was just too much of the ending that left me wondering. I didn't feel as if any questions had been answered.

I just feel a bit cheated by my own expectations going INTO the film, but also the expectations built up DURING the film. Everything, and I mean everything seemed to match the first Alien film. The ships, the planet, the interior, the crash at the end, Weyland's interest in this planet. Everything. Of course I was sitting there thinking "Oh, this ties into Alien perfectly!" and then when it doesn't for a reason I just can't comprehend, I feel kinda cheated. Why did I sit through this? This didn't tell me anything.

Now, some folks will say "Yeah, but you got to watch it on it's own merits!" and yes, they're right. But on it's own merits, it's still only half a film. It doesn't even finish the story. This film needed Alien for that purpose, yet it dropped that ball by not going all the way. Meh. Good film, but in some cases a wasted oppertunity.

Ireland
    SPOILERS WITHIN SPOILERS WITHIN SPOILERS WITHIN SPOILERS WITHIN

'Prometheus'

Again, SPOILERS...so don't read, if you don't want to know, or haven't already seen the film.

In any case, I wasn't that pushed with the whole thing, I have to be honest and I can see why it's only getting so-so reviews. I avoided everything to do with the film in the run up to seeing it in the cinema, but the title was a big giveaway if you know anything about the Greek/Roman myths. So, I was going in relatively blank, but knowing it had something to do with the creation of mankind, or "stealing fire from the gods"

We went to a 3D show, which in hindsight was probably a big mistake, as it wasn't that impressive and took away from the film, although there were some moments that were very well handled. I think that we were too close to the screen and the glasses we had were pretty terrible, with large frames that interfered with view of the screen. I was also getting some double vision, especially on text. 3D is just an awful gimmick really.

As far as being part of the 'Alien' franchise, I felt that that was very tacked on and even unnecessary. It just didn't seem to fit at all. It never seems like a prequel to 'Alien', more like a prequel to 'Prometheus 2'. I got the distinct impression that the 'Alien' prequel thingy was an effort to get bums on seats, rather than a legit effort at a genuine chapter in the series. Another issue is that a lot of the technology looks like it dates from AFTER 'Alien'/'Aliens', even though those films take place many years in the future. It wouldn't have been that hard to lock down the tech aspect of the film and make it fit better.

It's all acted fairly well, even if there are a few too many characters and I had the feeling that there was a bit too much exposition going on. There are also a number of moments where I was saying to myself "what was the point in that?". There's two particularly silly parts in the running time and a heavy reliance on a kind of "Deus Ex Machina".

The worst part was the "deconstruction" of the "Space Jockey" being from 'Alien'. In Prometheus, the "Space Jockey" is a humanoid guy in a suit! This is clearly a terrible idea, as when it was first conceived and created, it was obviously a fossilised creature of some description when shown in 'Alien'. A creature that had rotted to reveal skeletal remains, where a "chestburster' had erupted through its ribs, which offered the portent of the immediate future for John Hurt's character. It's a particular let down.

Another, quite idiotic, suggestion from the film is that the "Engineers" of mankind had been harvesting alien species as a form of biological weapon. This is an idea that Scott had been, sort of, pushing for a while. But, frankly I think it's an incredibly stupid premise. The idea that in order to defeat an enemy, one would replace that enemy with an, arguably, even more dangerous enemy is an incredibly ill-conceived thought. If it's a weapon of pure extermination, then perhaps that may fly, but I really don't like the whole aspect at all.

Over all though, it's not a bad film in it's own right. But, as an entry into the 'Alien' series it's a failure. It's not as much of a failure as the atrocious 'Alien Resurrection', but it's still a failure. Seems more like an addition to the 'Alien vs Predator' sub-series...and the less said about that, the better.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 02-Jun-2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Double-bagged it with spoiler tags...
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Posted my spoiler-free review over yonder:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...3d-review.html

Also, Ned -

It's not the same Space Jockey, it's not the same spaceship, and it's not the same planet (here it's LV-223), as seen in Alien ... I do wonder if the ship that Shaw and David take-off in at the end will become the ship we all know from Alien and Aliens, as in, do they fly off and discover LV-426? Only time will tell...
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 02-Jun-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I get that, MZ. I get that. It's just such a terrible wasted opportunity.

Also, the reason why David poisons Charlie is still unexplained.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 02-Jun-2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Re

Zombie Flesh Eater

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Dug the film though - one thing to think about when going in, is that it's all about beginnings...

It's not the same Space Jockey, it's not the same spaceship, and it's not the same planet (here it's LV-223), as seen in Alien ... I do wonder if the ship that Shaw and David take-off in at the end will become the ship we all know from Alien and Aliens, as in, do they fly off and discover LV-426? Only time will tell...
    Exactly what I took away from it.
    Last edited by capncnut; 02-Jun-2012 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Merged quote

The George A. Romero Fan Assembly @ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/geor...rofanassembly/

Super Moderator

UK
    Ned - I explained that D/C thing in a previous post of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Exactly what I took away from it.
    Great minds, Sir, great minds.