Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Prometheus (Alien Prequel)

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It should come as no surprise because they were talking about a sequel before the first film was even released, but THR is reporting that Fox already has the ball rolling for a 2014 or 2015 release and looking at different writers:

The studio's big summer bet was Ridley Scott's Prometheus, June's sort-of Alien prequel. The $130 million-budgeted film grossed a solid but not spectacular $303 million globally, putting it right on the franchise bubble. Fox confirms to THR that Scott and the studio actively are pushing ahead with a follow-up (stars Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace are signed) and are talking to new writers because Prometheus co-scribe Damon Lindelof might not be available. "Ridley is incredibly excited about the movie, but we have to get it right. We can't rush it," says Fox president of production Emma Watts, who also has overseen the successful reboots of the X-Men and Planet of the Apes franchises. A Prometheus sequel would be released in 2014 or 2015.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Writer Jon Spaihts revealed some of his original ideas before Lindelof was brought in. I found most of it to be quite interesting and possibly better than the film we have.

On the original medpod sequence:
    "One of the things I realised was that we hadn't seen anyone survive a classic Alien chest bursting. And I was really intrigued by the notion that a character might be infected by the parasite and know that it was coming, know they had a timeframe of a few hours, and that we would have set up previously a nearly omnipotent medical device, designed to extend life for explorers in foreign places. Our heroine would have a short time to get to the machine and extract the thing inside her. It was a very gory sequence and it plays out very much like the sequence in the film. The main difference is in choreography. At the end of the sequence as I first conceived it, the heroine manages to get the creature extracted from her and it is expelled from the pod and she's sealed inside, whereas in the final film it goes the other way.
    Then she lapses in and out of consciousness for a number of hours as the machine puts her back together. As she comes back to consciousness, she sees the thing growing in the cabin outside and even killing people. So by the time she emerges from the pod eight hours later, the thing is abroad in the ship and big enough to be a huge danger. That was the original conception of the medpod scene."
    On the inclusion of facehuggers and the motives of David:
    "I did have facehuggers in my original draft. David, as he began to get fascinated by the science of the Engineers, doesn't deliberately contaminate Holloway with a drop of black liquid. Instead, Holloway hubristically removes his helmet in the chamber, is knocked unconscious, facehugged and wakes up not knowing what had been done to him, and stumbles back into the ship. In my draft, he returns to his cabin, is embraced by Shaw, who is delighted to see him having feared that he had died, and the two of them make love. And it's while they're making love that he bursts and dies. So that lovemaking sequence echoed my original lovemaking sequence where he explodes! It was messy.
    Subsequently, David, fascinated by these creatures, begins delaying the mission and going off the reservation on his own, essentially because he thinks he really belongs with the Engineers. They're smart enough and sophisticated enough, great enough, to be his peers. He's harboring a deep-seated contempt for his human makers. So at one point Shaw goes to stop him and David ties her up and deliberately exposes her to a facehugger. He caresses an egg open and out comes a facehugger. David doesn't smell like a person - his breath isn't moist - so he can handle the thing like a kitten. It doesn't want him; it's not interested. But then he exposes it to her and it goes for her like a shot. He toys with her for a bit and then lets it take her. That, in my draft, was how Shaw was implanted with the parasite that she had to remove with the medpod sequence."
    On a potential trilogy:
    "I did have a plan for multiple films and the conversations I had with Ridley was about a new franchise, from the beginning. We talked about a possible trilogy, or a duology, but more often as a trilogy. And I did have pretty broad notions as to how we were going to get from this world to the original Alien - the baton pass, closing the circle, if you will. So yes, I did have plans for two other films. I came up with an even more twisted sequence than the Medpod, but I cannot tell you what happens...
    My vision of the trilogy would have involved the arrival of the Yutani Company and a couple of other major plays around the Engineers themselves: the revelation of an additional grand Engineer design, and the possibility of seeking an Engineer homeworld. That shot of the ship flying at the end offers a lot of creative ways to play with this. But it feels like it brackets you into the search for the Engineer homeworld and home civilisation. That's an interesting challenge."

And just for kicks - Honest Trailers' Prometheus
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBaKqOMGPWc

Administrator

England
    ^^ Nice!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Naomi Rapeface

I so feckin LOL'd

I've seen 'Prometheus' about three times now...and I still cannot enjoy it. It really is a dumbass film.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It definitely has it's flaws, but I don't think the sum of those flaws totally ruin the film as a whole. Even with it's faults, it's still one of the most well crafted science fiction films in years. Certainly miles ahead of Resurrection and the Alien vs Predator films that came before it.
    Last edited by bassman; 09-Oct-2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: .

Ireland
    Oh I agree Bassy, it's miles ahead of 'Alien Resurrection' (Thanks Joss Whedon!), but strangely enough, I sorta enjoyed Alien vs Predator'.....???

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    strangely enough, I sorta enjoyed Alien vs Predator'.....???
    *cursor hovers over the ban hammer*

Just give me a reason not to...

The honest trailer for Prometheus did make me lol alright, and yes there are legitimate "erm, but what about?" moments in the plot, but I very much enjoyed the hell out of it. I've got the special edition 3-disc blu-ray on its way and I can't wait to dig into the hours of special features (including a 3hr40min making of!!! ). Some gripes that folks had with it can easily be explained, or cast aside as inconsequential cool-to-hate tosserisms, but as I've said, yes, there are legit issues with the film - none that render it pish though. I'm very much looking forward to a sequel - but a little more attention paid to "but what about?" questions regarding plot development would be welcome.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    After spending hours ripping through the blu ray last night, I would say this is quite possibly the best Blu Ray of the year. The picture/sound is phenomenal and the nearly four hour "The Furious Gods" documentary is amazing. If you even slightly enjoyed Prometheus and occasionally check out documentaries, this set is a must.

I've only listened to half of Scott's commentary. His commentaries are usually very insightful and this one is no different, but he does occasionally slip into the Schwarzenneger mode of just describing what's on screen. I've yet to listen to the writers' commentary but i'm very much looking forward to it.

In all, I say this set is definitely worth a purchase. Even for fans that found the film to be mediocre. Hell....I felt like I enjoyed the film even more on this blu ray than I did in theater. It's unfortunate that the best version to purchase must come with the 3D Blu Ray(4 disc set in US, 3 disc in UK, iirc), but for a few extra bucks the features are worth it.

Administrator

England
    Was it the extended cut? If so did that offer anything?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    *cursor hovers over the ban hammer*

Just give me a reason not to...

Go on ban me!!!!!!

I liked 'John Carter of Mars' too.

I don't know what the hell is wrong with me lately.

Super Moderator

United States

Time to face facts, Shootem'. You've fallen in with a bad crowd: us.

Wanna go see the new Paranormal Activity with me?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Was it the extended cut? If so did that offer anything?
    There is currently no extended version on the market from what I understand. There are lots of deleted scenes on the 3D Blu Ray release, but none that are edited back into the film. They may release an extended version in the future, Scott has done that several times in the past, but I seem to remember reading that he won't be doing that with Prometheus.
    Last edited by bassman; 10-Oct-2012 at 04:08 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Go on ban me!!!!!!

It's official, you've gone barmy. Somebody fetch me that straight jacket...

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post

You're part of the problem, Aces ... part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    There is currently no extended version on the market from what I understand. There are lots of deleted scenes on the 3D Blu Ray release, but none that are edited back into the film. They may release an extended version in the future, Scott has done that several times in the past, but I seem to remember reading that he won't be doing that with Prometheus.
    Something like 37 minutes of deleted scenes from what I've read. Some have pondered that maybe there will be no extended versions, others have, but it seems that they've really gone all-out with this current Blu-Ray set, which in some quarters has led some to wonder if this really is it. Avatar's first release was bare bones, but here we've got three releases (DVD, BR, and BR:SE) that have been thoroughly decked out - well, the last one's been fully loaded anyway, and that's the version I bought. It's a fiver extra, but then again I'm a whore for special features and when I hear "four hour making of" I come running, and just like Fry I'm all "shut up and take my money!".
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 10-Oct-2012 at 04:39 PM.

United States

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post

Hey shootem, at least you aren't subjecting yourself to movies like Sharktopus, Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies, and Silent House unlike myself. When you start posting threads about shaming yourself for watching certain movies, then I will begin to worry about ya..

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    You're part of the problem, Aces ... part of the problem.
    ^^THIS! Paranormal Activity 4 indeed! *shoots evil look at Aces*

Last edited by LouCipherr; 10-Oct-2012 at 04:55 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    MZ - I will be completely and utterly shocked if you don't enjoy this release. Even if they release an extended cut in the future, there's just no possible way they could have more special features. You've mentioned you have this release ordered and should have it any day now.....trust me....it's a great set for the special features nerds like us.

I'm already wanting to give the "The Furious Gods" documentary another look. Of course it falls victim to some of the "it's like a family on set" crap that we always hear, but there is also tons of goodies for the movie nerds. It's easily as good as the docs on the Alien Anthology and "Dangerous Days" on Blade Runner(all made by the same guy, if i'm not mistaken).

It's actually kinda strange to get such a comprehensive documentary for a new film like this. Generally this type of thing is reserved for older films. Some of which deserve this sort of treatment....
    Last edited by bassman; 10-Oct-2012 at 08:17 PM. Reason: .