Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Prometheus (Alien Prequel)

Christmas Island
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    I think, if they put a lot of effort in, it's possible to do a story involving contact between humans and the "space jockey" race without spoiling the deep horror and mystery of it all - think of something along the lines of the mysterious extraterrestrial elder gods of Lovecraft's fiction, or the unreal encounter between mankind and the completely unfathomable alien intelligence in at the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey. I like to think of them as god-like beings that have been forced to retreat to the outer edges of the universe due to the spread of the parasitic xenomorph infestation, a race so mind-bogglingly different and infinitely more intelligent than us, yet tragically brought to it's knees by the ultimate killing machine of the cosmos.

Knowing Hollywood, however, there is a real danger of them being reduced to a bunch of wisecracking CG animations with ray guns and snappy, subtitled one-liners.
    With today's writers I think that danger would be a certainty. A shame really as it would be interesting to see more of the Space Jockey's technology. Their ship still fascinates me to this day. Looks more like it was grown than built.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Panic over, kinda. According to AICN, it's NOT a remake, but a prequel.
    That does sound a LOT better. I would be interested in seeing something like that.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    yep it is a prequel.

from scifiwire:

Alien reboot, a prequel, is confirmed!

Producer Tony Scott confirmed to Collider.com that he and brother Ridley Scott are developing a prequel film to Ridley's original Alien movie, with Carl Rinsch directing.

The news confirms the rumor first reported by Bloody-Disgusting that an Alien remake was in the works for 20th Century Fox.

"Carl Rinsch is going to do the prequel to Alien," Scott told Collider while promoting The Taking of Pelham 123. "He's one of our directors at our company."

Tony Scott added: "I'm excited because Ridley created the original, and Carl Rinsch is one of the family."

Scott said that he hopes to get the movie before cameras ""hopefully [by] the end of the year" for a summer 2011 release.

this info might be out there already but i am too fooking lazy to read through all 3 pages of this thread to find out.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I found this article through IMDB and thought it was an interesting read about the possibilities and problems with a potential prequel.

The space jockey situation is going to be a big problem, I think. Hopefully they make it all work together in some way. Or it could just be another AVP.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Okay, some more good news.

It's a big one this time....

Are you sitting comfortably?

...preferably on the toilet....

Apparently Fox are demanding the attached director (Carl Rinsch) be removed from the project and replaced by...

...RIDLEY SCOTT HIMSELF!!

http://www.aintitcool.com/talkback_d...1?q=node/41361

(okay, so it's not cool that Fox are micro-managing everything like that, but come on... just admit that you are creaming at the idea of a Ridley Scott Alien prequel after thirty years)
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 10-Jun-2009 at 06:59 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Ridley Scott directing it makes me happier by a considerable amount (I've never heard of Rinsch) ... although I'm still not sold on the need for a prequel ... ... but at least I can say "thank buggery-bum it's not a remake".

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Ridley Scott directing it makes me happier by a considerable amount (I've never heard of Rinsch) ... although I'm still not sold on the need for a prequel ... ... but at least I can say "thank buggery-bum it's not a remake".
    Just to be clear, it's not yet 100% confirmed that Ridley has actually signed up to replace Rinsch, all that's for certain is that Fox have demanded he do it. The situation is complicated slightly by the fact that Rinsch is Ridely's protege, and he is supposedly grooming him to become his "replacement", so Scott himself might not yet take to kindly to Fox's attitude on the matter.

However, as much as I think Rinsch should be given a chance, I (and most others) would rather see a genuine Ridley Scott Alien, so to me this is at least a step in the right direction and I hope it comes to fruition. I wish Rinsch all the best, but I think it would be better if he cut his teeth on an original property without such a huge, vested fan interest, and leave this job to the old pro.

Super Moderator

UK
    Ah yeah, fair enough.

And aye - I too would rather see RS' protoge used elsewhere - the opportunity for and RS return to the franchise is too great - plus he was saying recently about how he'd like to do another one.

United States
    A prequel about the crashed spaceship would be good (something I always wanted to know more about, too), but only if RS was on board and gave the movie his special touch. No more of this 'sounds great' in the beginning only to have the finished product a piece of crap. Fed up with that and don't want any more...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Ah yeah, fair enough.

And aye - I too would rather see RS' protoge used elsewhere - the opportunity for and RS return to the franchise is too great - plus he was saying recently about how he'd like to do another one.

Imo, prequels have their place. Especially when you're a rabid fan of the film(s).

Wouldn't you like a prequel to NOTLD one day and have everything we've heard about, the chaos at Beekman's, The Cooper's ordeal, And what the hell happened in the farmhouse to cause all that carnage?

I guess it's just how big a fan someone is.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    Wouldn't you like a prequel to NOTLD one day and have everything we've heard about, the chaos at Beekman's, The Cooper's ordeal, And what the hell happened in the farmhouse to cause all that carnage?
    No, it'd be a rubbish idea, there isn't enough scope, and we all know what happens to The Cooper's in the end, so what's the point?

Also, it'd just look silly - a 2000-and-something prequel to a 1968 movie.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    What's this??!?!

Variety is reporting that Rinsch is no longer involved and Ridley Scott has signed on to direct!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    No, it'd be a rubbish idea, there isn't enough scope, and we all know what happens to The Cooper's in the end, so what's the point?

Also, it'd just look silly - a 2000-and-something prequel to a 1968 movie.

Well, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it but I disagree. With all the rubbish being released nowdays how could it be any worse? And

no way it can look sillier than NOTLD 30th, it just depends on how it's done. If it was a labor of love done by one of us here I like it's chances. If it's just a money grab looking to engage in more name rape than we're fucked. (Cough... russo....wheeze....streiner.)

I am legend remade a movie that was even older than that and that worked out pretty well.

So i guess we won't be signing you up for the premeire.

Last edited by darth los; 31-Jul-2009 at 01:07 PM.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    What's this??!?!

Variety is reporting that Rinsch is no longer involved and Ridley Scott has signed on to direct!
    Ridley Scott ??? Plus Sci-Fi ???

*creams*

United States
    YES! WAHOO!

Probably the best thing that could have happened to the Alien franchise (other than Cameron coming back to direct).