Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Prometheus (Alien Prequel)

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchified View Post
    It wouldn't be impossible depending on the style that they make it in. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that she'd be one of the main characters or anything like that. They could easily go with the whole "we discovered this recording" or something, where Ripley would almost be like one of the audience members listening to the story. This is a horrible analogy, but sort of like how it was done in The Green Mile. In a way, it would help connect the new film to the older ones.

I'm not saying that they SHOULD do that, mind you, just that it COULD be done. Weaver is the human face of the franchise, after all.
    I sort of know what you mean. In fact, the kind of do something like that in this script, at the very end:

(don't click this unless you want to read the ending, although it will probably be totally different in the final film)

FADE IN:

INT. SMALL LABORATORY

SUBTITLE:
    Five years later

A WOMAN sits at a computer terminal.

The crew's report from the Arrowhead is on the computer
    screen.

An ANDROID sits beside her desk, facing her. His body
    looks like a man's, but his head is uncovered, exposing its
    mechanical, artificial nature.

The woman presses a few keys at the terminal, and the
    android jerks a bit in its chair.

WOMAN
    Program?

ANDROID
    Primary:
    Protect crew's safety.
    Secondary:
    Follow orders.
    Orders:
    Ensure ship's return.
    Ensure cargo's return.
    Act as science officer.
    Tertiary:
    Protect my safety.

WOMAN
    Exception.

The android flinches and looks at her.

She presses the keys: 9, 3, 7, enter.

The android looks away, as its facial features twitch
    randomly for a moment.

WOMAN
    Program?

ANDROID
    Primary:
    Protect creature's safety.
    Ensure creature's return.
    Secondary:
    Ensure exception 937's secrecy.
    Tertiary:
    Crew expendable.

WOMAN
    Confirmed.

The woman presses several buttons.

A robotic arm lowers the skin over the android's head.
    After some work, the arm stretches the skin tight over the
    head and seals it with the rest of the skin. The arm lifts
    away.

We recognize the android is ASH from the original “Alien.”

The woman presses a few buttons.

ANDROID

Collating, collating, collating...

FADE TO:
    THE END

The script was very interesting, very novel and different to the rest of the series. Kind of had a feel similar to the movie Moon, if you caught that one. However, there are a few issues with it:

1) There is plenty going on and lots of interesting characters, but everything just seems like a build up to Alien without really having much of its own arc; without prior knowledge of the original movie it has no ability to stand alone. The film is totally focused on how the whole situation in Alien came to be, and it explores some amazing, fascinating ideas as it does so, but its at the expense of having almost no cohesive conflict or drama in its own right.

2) It's too oversexed. I get what they're trying to do, but all the sex (both hetero- and homosexual) was pretty distracting. I admit, I actually thought the Brokeback-style romance was good at a character-development level, but the all the sex was laid on too thick. The Alien series has this subtle undertone of sexual violence, but this is totally different and sort of cheapens it. This aspect feels almost like an episode of Torchwood.

3) There is what I believe to be a very, very vague reference to the events of Aliens vs. Predator in the script, somewhere towards the end. Not only does it not make sense (since this movie would supposedly mark the first emergence of the alien as we know it, anywhere in the universe) but it feels jarring. This script leans too far in the other direction - it all about great ideas with very little action - whereas AvP had all action and no ideas. To imagine them being set in the same universe just hurts the concept somehow.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 05-Mar-2011 at 07:49 PM. Reason: .

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I've had time to read up on this supposed script leak. I didn't thoroughly read the entire thing, but i've taken a glance and seen some of the main portions pointed out on the avpgalaxy forums. Apparently it's been around for quite some time and still nobody knows if it is real or not. It certainly seems like it could be one of the early drafts, but it wouldn't be too difficult for a fan to write this up and slap the true writer's name to it, ya know?

If it is indeed one of the early drafts, I imagine only a select few things will be taken from it in the final film. As Kraken mentioned, it's too much of a build up to Alien. I doubt Scott would really want something this much on-the-nose. Not to mention the confusion over whether it is or isn't a direct prequel. Scott has said that it is(even in the liner notes of the latest Alien Anthology set), but recently denied the connection and claimed it will be it's own sci fi film.

If I had to guess, this script was only the initial jumping off point and the new scripts between Lindelof and Scott have taken it in a totally different direction. A few things from this script may remain, but I doubt this is the central backbone of the film. Still...a few interesting ideas. Just too much of a "This is a prequel to Alien!!!" direction for my tastes.

BTW....new cast member in Rafe Spall. I hear he's a big actor across seas, but folks around here will most likely remember him as Noel in Shaun and one of the Andys in Hot Fuzz.
    Last edited by bassman; 07-Mar-2011 at 06:46 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Lots of pictures leaked out from Comic-con. Nothing appears to be spoilerish, but im going to go ahead and say POTENTIAL SPOILER WARNING, anyway. http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=39765.0 A lot of these pics look VERY familiar....

Excitement levels rising.
    Last edited by bassman; 01-Aug-2011 at 05:57 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Bugger, the images have already been removed!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/get-...-at-prometheus

Of course those will also be gone by the time you click.

We should have a teaser before long. They've had plenty of time....

Undisclosed
    Check this out. Spoilers involved. Very interesting.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/25179

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    Images have been removed from all the posts

Administrator

England
    The Prometheus news/photos are starting to appear...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52057

-- -------- Post added 28-Nov-2011 at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was 23-Nov-2011 at 11:56 AM ----------

Camcorder trailer - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52085 (Poor quality)
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    The Prometheus news/photos are starting to appear...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52057

-- -------- Post added 28-Nov-2011 at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was 23-Nov-2011 at 11:56 AM ----------

Camcorder trailer - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52085 (Poor quality)
    Hot damn - I'm so up for this flick!

Love how the guy videotaping it off his monitor not only didn't put the lights out in his room, but also left the ruddy cursor over the friggin' video image!

Gave me chills though - as they say on the site there, it really evokes the trailer for Alien.

Undisclosed
    The link keeps freezing my computer up.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Several official images

The body in the bottom corner of that picture looks sorta familiar. Space Jockey?
    Last edited by bassman; 01-Dec-2011 at 03:03 PM. Reason: .

Undisclosed
    Oh my god, oh my god,...
    That 'leaked' trailer is getting me more excited than i expected.
    Please be good. Sir Ridley of Scott's recent track record is a bit so-so, no? Robin Hood, Kingdom of heaven, ... Meh. I'm up for some adult, serious, Sci-fi!
    (first this, then new Blade Runner after, as excited as i am it's still trying to capitalize on former glories I'm afraid)
    Fingers crossed then.

Administrator

England
    ^^ It is a bit worrying that he seems to have come off the boil recently
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Mmm ... a little bit of spoodge just came out.

Properly looking forward to this flick! I've gotten the impression that, while still making films with skill, some of his recent efforts haven't had his entire heart in them. The last really good Scott flick I can think of is Black Hawk Down - so, by the sounds of it anyway, he seems to be having a good time making this one - hopefully he's back in the groove again. It's not like he was making crap for the last ten years, but he wasn't making much that was memorable either.

Let's have a look at his last decade(ish) as Director:

2012 Prometheus (post-production) - properly looking forward to this.

2010 Robin Hood - have zero interest in ever seeing this. Seemed to get a lukewarm response.

2008 Body of Lies - again, had little interest in seeing this, maybe one day.

2007 American Gangster - watched it and I actually thought it was all a bit cliched. It felt like a dozen other 'rise and fall of a crime boss' movies that came before it. It was nice shot and performed, but it all felt a bit 'done before' to me anyway.

2006 A Good Year - never even heard of it.

2005 All the Invisible Children (segment "Jonathan") - never heard of this either.

2005 Kingdom of Heaven - sod all interest in this.

2003 Matchstick Men - saw it. Meh.

2003 Cinema16: British Short Films (video short) (segment "Boy and Bicycle" / 1965) - never heard of it.

2001 Black Hawk Down - I've seen this a few times now and I think it's pretty darn kick arse.

2001 Hannibal - I've only seen it once and I wasn't that fussed by it. The Silence of the Lambs was where it was at.

2000 Gladiator - haven't seen it in a very long time, but it was pretty darn good as I remember.

Undisclosed
    Poster time. Also, watch out; the tagline might be considered a spoiler ...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52276