Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Prometheus (Alien Prequel)

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    youtube'n it up....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sftuxbvGwiU

Never thought about the ship sitting up like we see in the trailer. You can also see the Space Jockey activating his chair. Noice.
    At 44 seconds, on the right side of the frame (as the Jockey's chair is rising up) ... is that the Space Jockey himself?!

In terms of the Xenomorph itself - being that it takes on aspects of its host, will we see the 'birth' of the Alien as we have all known it for decades? Oh the intrigue...
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 22-Dec-2011 at 06:59 PM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    At 44 seconds, on the right side of the frame (as the Jockey's chair is rising up) ... is that the Space Jockey himself?!
    I assume it is because of his size. If you remember from the original film the humans were much smaller than the chair, but this guy appears to be the right size for it.

This gets me in the mood to watch the stellar Alien Blu Ray.
    Last edited by bassman; 22-Dec-2011 at 07:06 PM. Reason: .

England
    I'm typing this post with one hand...

Looks f*cking awesome.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    No way is that the Space Jockey. At least I don't think so. The Jockey had what looks like a sort of elephantine appendage on it's face, or perhaps its a bony structure connecting it's cranium and breastbone, whatever it is that dude doesn't have it. Also, the Jockey's skeletal structure and general physiology is completely different. That's just some bald guy; I'm pretty sure it's a human.

The "jockey chair" in the clip is in the process of unfolding and expanding, so I suspect we're just not seeing it at full size.

Anyway, this looks really good. The only things that bother me are the volume of CG (which won't bother me as long as it's used for mainly inorganic objects) and the fact that the technology appearing in this movie, set before Alien, looks to be in advance of the technology appearing in the original film and its immediate sequels. I love the atmosphere though. Looks like Ridley nailed it.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 22-Dec-2011 at 10:34 PM. Reason: .

England
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    No way is that the Space Jockey. At least I don't think so. The Jockey had what looks like a sort of elephantine appendage on it's face, or perhaps its a bony structure connecting it's cranium and breastbone, whatever it is that dude doesn't have it. Also, the Jockey's skeletal structure and general physiology is completely different. That's just some bald guy; I'm pretty sure it's a human.

The "jockey chair" in the clip is in the process of unfolding and expanding, so I suspect we're just not seeing it at full size.

Anyway, this looks really good. The only things that bother me are the volume of CG (which won't bother me as long as it's used for mainly inorganic objects) and the fact that the technology appearing in this movie, set before Alien, looks to be in advance of the technology appearing in the original film and its immediate sequels. I love the atmosphere though. Looks like Ridley nailed it.
    That happens all the time unfortunately. I suppose when you are pitching a movie and asking for millions of dollars to fund it, the backers want bang for their buck and a good "spectacle"...I suppose the directors and makers also do as well to be honest.

We saw it with the SW prequels, they looked like they were set a century or so after the original trilogy, but if Lucas could have had millions of clone and robot armies, and Droidekas rolling about and massive set-piece capital ship engagements in the originals, he probably would have.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    The theory i've seen around the net is that the Jockey also has some sort of an organic connection to the ship. This could explain why his ribs/spine/etc seem to blend into the ship. Just a theory, of course....

United States
    W.o.w.
    If Kim Kardashian died tommorrow from a dick overdose I'd call her a dumb whore and move on, because that's what she was - Darth Los

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    I'm typing this post with one hand...

Looks f*cking awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    The theory i've seen around the net is that the Jockey also has some sort of an organic connection to the ship. This could explain why his ribs/spine/etc seem to blend into the ship. Just a theory, of course....
    Indeed - the almost fossil-like carcass of the Space Jockey that we see in Alien looks quite different from the guy on the right of frame there, but as you say, he's too big to be a human ... so perhaps it is some sort of 'organic growth' situation.

EDIT:

Some more tidbits of info from Sir Ridley himself:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/226...-in-prometheus

For example...

And this one does actually raise all kinds of other questions, because if someone could, a being, could be as monstrously clever to create something like we experienced in the very first one – I always figured it’s a weapon, and I always figured that [the ship in the first Alien] was a carrier of weapons. Therefore, who is that, inside that suit? That wasn’t a skeleton, that was a suit. And if you open up the suit, what do you get inside it? And why were they going, where were they going?"
    I think this pretty well backs up that at 44 seconds it is indeed the Space Jockey (out of his suit).

It's also been said that the main 'menace' in this flick will be the Space Jockey(s) themselve(s).

Oh the intrigue...
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 23-Dec-2011 at 09:55 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Space Jockeys. Damn. They really got screwed over on cool alien names.

Super Moderator

UK
    Some more stuff from the trailer...

http://www.ifc.com/fix/2011/12/prome...er-easter-eggs

England

Love the trailer music as well, very noisy and scary.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    will the sequel to this movie be named "Epimetheus?"

krakenslayer, evilned, and aces might get that one without having to run off to wikipedia. legion will probably get it as well.
    Last edited by Mike70; 24-Dec-2011 at 12:05 AM. Reason: d
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    will the sequel to this movie be named "Epimetheus?"

krakenslayer, evilned, and aces might get that one without having to run off to wikipedia. legion will probably get it as well.
    Hmmmmm. On a serious note; I'm guessing greek mythology will come less into play in this film. It reeks more of Von Daniken.
    Could be a lot of fun. Looking forward to this more than Hobbit and Dark Knight.

United States
    Based on what I've seen from the trailer, I'm wondering a few things.

1. I always assumed that the Derelict from the first two films had been there for a very long time. Now, in the trailer, we're seeing it crash? Is it possible that the cast go back in time somehow? Kinda shuddersome, but I can't really get how it could occur otherwise, as the Space Jockey had apparently mummified.

2. Speaking of, I know some of the Alien expanded universe gave a little bit of backstory involving them, but they made it seem like that was their appearance, not wearing any sort of suit. My personal opinion is that the covering of the Space Jockey may very well be an environment suit, but who's to say it's not organic itself?

3. I actually enjoy the possibility that the Xenomorphs may have been a bio-weapon that the Space Jockeys used. BUT..watching the trailer, you see little canisters, they look almost like the canopic jars the Egyptians used to store the organs of their dead in. And considering the long deleted scene where Ripley comes across Dallas being transformed into an egg sac, do you think it's possible that could be the fate of the crew we see, or other organisms? That they could be the egg sacs that Kane was investigating?

I dunno..I find it interesting that Ridley Scott is returning to a film series that..well..politely, is well past it's prime. While I've always been more of a fan of Aliens, I've always thought that the atmosphere of the original was almost gothic in it's setting. Prometheus looks to be a very slick and flashy update and I'm genuinely curious and excited to see what kind of answers Mr. Scott is going to throw at us.
    If Kim Kardashian died tommorrow from a dick overdose I'd call her a dumb whore and move on, because that's what she was - Darth Los

Super Moderator

UK
    Regarding #1 - we see the derelict fall over, not crash land. We see it standing upright reaching up into the sky in the trailer - but as we all know from Alien it's on its side - so what I believe we see there in the Prometheus trailer is the derelict falling over onto its side.

2) Methinks some sort of enviro-suit too - in the trailer we see them scanning just the helmet part.

3) It's going to be fascinating to find out where the beginnings of the Xenomorphs come from ... there's many possibilities.