Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Prometheus (Alien Prequel)

England
    Quote Originally Posted by childofgilead View Post
    Based on what I've seen from the trailer, I'm wondering a few things.

1. I always assumed that the Derelict from the first two films had been there for a very long time. Now, in the trailer, we're seeing it crash? Is it possible that the cast go back in time somehow? Kinda shuddersome, but I can't really get how it could occur otherwise, as the Space Jockey had apparently mummified.
    I think its possible, in Aliens Ripley had been drifting around in space for 50 years since the first film so its fine for the timeline to jump around as much as it likes with these films, it could go back 100 or 1000 years to the events when the space jockey crashed. As a prequel of sorts it can go back any amount of time before the events of the first film. Also who's to say the atmosphere on LV426 prior to it having an atmosphere processor didnt rapidly speed up the mummifying process on the space jockey? I guess all will be revealed (hopefully, I hate plot holes) when the film comes out!

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by childofgilead View Post
    Based on what I've seen from the trailer, I'm wondering a few things.

1. I always assumed that the Derelict from the first two films had been there for a very long time. Now, in the trailer, we're seeing it crash? Is it possible that the cast go back in time somehow? Kinda shuddersome, but I can't really get how it could occur otherwise, as the Space Jockey had apparently mummified.

Me too and I hope that the producers aren't going to shoe horn some stupid time changing nonsense into the history of the piece. The Alien franchise has been abused enough already. The impression from 'Alien' is that the derelict ship had been there for a long time. Although, there could just be a time frame of 10 years between 'Alien' and this film. That would be enough time to justify the state of the ship on LV426, by the time Dallas and his crew get there.

2. Speaking of, I know some of the Alien expanded universe gave a little bit of backstory involving them, but they made it seem like that was their appearance, not wearing any sort of suit. My personal opinion is that the covering of the Space Jockey may very well be an environment suit, but who's to say it's not organic itself?

Yeah, I always thought that the "Space Jockey" guy looked like that and it wasn't a "guy in a suit" type thing. Again, I hope there's no shoe horning going on to fit the current film.

3. I actually enjoy the possibility that the Xenomorphs may have been a bio-weapon that the Space Jockeys used. BUT..watching the trailer, you see little canisters, they look almost like the canopic jars the Egyptians used to store the organs of their dead in. And considering the long deleted scene where Ripley comes across Dallas being transformed into an egg sac, do you think it's possible that could be the fate of the crew we see, or other organisms? That they could be the egg sacs that Kane was investigating?

I don't like the idea that the xneomorph is a bio-weapon. Not sure why, I just really dislike that idea. They're too unpredicable to be a weapon of any kind. It's sort of silly. A weapon is designed to kill an enemy, not replace it with another one. It doesn't make any sense. A better solution would be that they were being farmed for some reason by the "Space Jockeys". Perhaps there slimy residue is of some use to the Jokeys? Or, maybe LV426 is just the xneomorph's home planet and the jockey's were studying them for scientific reasons.

I dunno..I find it interesting that Ridley Scott is returning to a film series that..well..politely, is well past it's prime. While I've always been more of a fan of Aliens, I've always thought that the atmosphere of the original was almost gothic in it's setting. Prometheus looks to be a very slick and flashy update and I'm genuinely curious and excited to see what kind of answers Mr. Scott is going to throw at us.

The Aliens franchise is sort of shite really, isn't it. It's been wrecked with bad ideas and poor twists. There really is only two good films, the first and the second. The third is alright too, I spose, but it's been dragged through the mud terribly. I even sort of enjoy the AVP bastard children. But, honestly, there's so much that can be done with the Aliens idea, if only there was the imagination and thr right people behind it.
    sorry about the green text
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Agree completely, shooter..the franchise has definitely had a really hard way to go..and unfortunately, after watching the trailer again and reading interviews with Scott, I think time travel is a definite.

It may not be complete arse, but..I dunno..ever since back in the day when I heard that Tim Burton's Planet of The Apes was going that route, I lost interest in it. Not to say that time travel can't be done well, but..I'm not too sure that it belongs in the Alien universe.

I..also don't really think that Ridley Scott even really sees this as a prequel to Alien. I..kinda think that he's always been curious about that lone pilot and thought there was a story there. I..*shame*..I read spoilers..

edit: As for the reasoning that they were bioweapons..yeah, I definitely see where you're coming from on that one. It's hard to fathom an enemy that would be less dangerous than the Xenomorph or that they had a way to control them. Look at what happened to a colony with a few hundred, they were completely wiped out..not saying that humans are really the toughest end all be all out there in the dark, but they must have been pretty darn desperate if that were the case. Which it was in the expanded universe. And that enemy were the Yautja.
    Last edited by childofgilead; 24-Dec-2011 at 02:41 PM. Reason: geekery expansions
    If Kim Kardashian died tommorrow from a dick overdose I'd call her a dumb whore and move on, because that's what she was - Darth Los

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    Hmmmmm. On a serious note; I'm guessing greek mythology will come less into play in this film. It reeks more of Von Daniken.
    Could be a lot of fun. Looking forward to this more than Hobbit and Dark Knight.
    ah! you got it. the mythology aspect hit me because of what we know of the story line. but yeah, you are probably right about von daniken (crazy old bastard that he is).

i was also making a play on words. Prometheus means "foresight" and Epimetheus means "hindsight."

see Hesiod's "Theogony" for the story of how Epimetheus screwed us all.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Someone mentioned about the crash of the derelict being in this film, and asking if the characters in this film are traveling back in time: Well, wasn't it openly established that this is a prequel?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Someone mentioned about the crash of the derelict being in this film, and asking if the characters in this film are traveling back in time: Well, wasn't it openly established that this is a prequel?
    I think they're probably meaning the characters travel back in time within this film. We've heard rumors that the crew of the Prometheus actually visit Earth before life existed. Also that the events of this film somehow lead to the beginning of life on Earth.

Hello Space Jockey suits....

btw....shouldn't this be in horror? I looked through several pages in the horror section trying to find this thing....
    Last edited by bassman; 16-Jan-2012 at 11:22 AM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Is that a nerdgasm in my pants? ... I think soooo.

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Just listening to the music in that trailer gives me tingles of excitement! This is my #1 most anticipated movie for this year. I cannot wait to see it!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxdx4Qd-_yg

The clip is not part of the movie, was conceived by Ridley Scott and Damon Lindelof, and is directed by Ridley's son, Luke.

TED Q&A with Lindelof: http://blog.ted.com/2012/02/28/writi...amon-lindelof/
    Last edited by bassman; 28-Feb-2012 at 10:04 PM. Reason: .

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK
    oh dear god that TED conference thing was nice!

Super Moderator

United States
    Wow, that's a lot of the movie I just saw 0.0

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Wow, that's a lot of the movie I just saw 0.0
    It's not from the movie. It's from the writers and directed by Ridley Scott's son, but it's not from the movie itself. Made for promotional purposes.

Ireland
    Guy's accent is terrible.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    It's not from the movie. It's from the writers and directed by Ridley Scott's son, but it's not from the movie itself. Made for promotional purposes.
    Then that is officially awesome!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany