Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Prometheus (Alien Prequel)

Administrator

England

Prometheus (Alien Prequel)

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Alien...els-13313.html

Maybe we'll get lucky and McG will do the remake of Aliens
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I suppose it was only a matter of time....

Seems like I remember reading a few weeks back that Ridley Scott and Sigourney Weaver were meeting to discuss getting together for another film.

I can see it now....Hypersleep: A prequel to Alien

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Kind of funny about all the remakes. Lonnie Martin and I were talking about that last night on the phone and were curious if people pissed and moaned back in the day when movies from the 30's, 40's and 50's were being remade in the 70's and 80's. I am sure they were bitching, but not like today because they didn't have the internet to piss and moan about it.

Amazing how much backlash there is about remake on the internet yet they keep coming out and making money. Until people stop buying tickets, the studios will keep cranking them out.

Tis a shame really.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

United States
    I remember when all these licensed properties used to mean things to people (as much as any piece of entertainment can, anyway), and when a sequel or prequel was eventually trotted out they were welcomed warmly because of the inherent value of an underutilized commodity (in the form of our favorite hero, baddie etc.), but that's all lost now.

As what we used to enjoy as films have become nothing more than franchises, everything that made "the next installment in the series" worthwhile evaporates.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 28-May-2009 at 01:45 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    I dont really see the point in remaking alien,the special effects were way ahead of their time anyway & its a classic,what exactly do they think they can bring new to the table except a load of CG?

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Doesn't need a remake just another decent sequel. I'm talking a sequel which doesnt turn into into some crap with slow motion action sequences and having the aliens mutate.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottedfreak View Post
    Doesn't need a remake just another decent sequel. I'm talking a sequel which doesnt turn into into some crap with slow motion action sequences and having the aliens mutate.
    Oh come on! Resurrection is everyone's favorite Alien film!

I've just seen that Ridley Scott is producing and the director is someone who works for Scott's company. At least the original creator is involved...

England
    As much as its sacrilege remaking Alien & i wish they wouldnt, il be even more pissed off if they decide to remake Aliens as a follow up

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    As much as its sacrilege remaking Alien & i wish they wouldnt, il be even more pissed off if they decide to remake Aliens as a follow up
    Aliens is a stunning film:-
    - One of the best sequels ever made
    - One of the best scifi films ever made
    - Great script and dialog
    - Some astounding production and designs

Cameron did an amazzzzzzing job!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

Couldn't agree with you more.

Alien is a perfect film. There's nothing you could do to it to make it better. They can only make it worse.

And yeah, Aliens is one of the best sequels ever made and imo, surpassed the original. The only other film that has done that that comes to mind right now is T2.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Couldn't agree with you more.

Alien is a perfect film. There's nothing you could do to it to make it better. They can only make it worse.
    Agree wholeheartedly. Despite its age, there is not a single shot in Alien that doesn't still look as impressive and beautiful today as it is was when it was released in 1979. Next time you watch this movie, forget the story and just look at it - it is, almost without a doubt, one of the most aesthetically and cinematographically impressive movies ever made, and all done without crazy MTV editing ('cept in the helmet-cam scenes, where it works) and no ridiculous CGI swooping/tracking shots to drag you out of the movie. It was made for ten million dollars, thirty years ago, and visually it still blows every modern mega-buck blockbuster of the last decade out of the water.

Undisclosed
    I loved Alien...even more than Aliens. However I still think there is a bit of a pacing issue with the film. I know the slow pace was meant to give it that tension feel but it gets a bit boring at times...and for the most part the music does give some of the surprises away...except for Dallas in the Ventilation ducts...that was WAY SCARY!!!

I would watch a remake however when you have something of this caliber to hold it up against, it is very difficult to make anything better...key word there...BETTER.

I was eagerly awaiting SW Episode I...WHAT A HUGE LETDOWN...and I could sense something along those lines for this film...so it might be better than expected.

Super Moderator

UK
    *ugh*

Dude ... why?!

SOD OFF AND LEAVE CINEMATIC HISTORY ALONE!!!

I feel like I should be wearing a blonde wig, have mascara tear-streaked down my face, and be wobbling around hyperventilating in front of a white sheet right now!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy911sc View Post
    I loved Alien...even more than Aliens. However I still think there is a bit of a pacing issue with the film. I know the slow pace was meant to give it that tension feel but it gets a bit boring at times...and for the most part the music does give some of the surprises away...except for Dallas in the Ventilation ducts...that was WAY SCARY!!!

Well, I would argue what you call slow pacing can also be called, wait for it........ CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT!!!!

Which, imo is a lost art that REEEEEEEEAAAAALLLLLY needs to be rediscovered. I've had friends tells me that Dawn of the dead drags as well and as we all know the character development in that film is top notch.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

It might not sound all that impressive to most people on this board but considering Cameron made Aliens aged only 31 is a bit mindblowing for me. The scope and size of that film really is in the league of a firmly established director who's 50 and on his tenth film. Aliens was his third.