Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Prometheus (Alien Prequel)

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Then that is officially awesome!
    Tingles were indeed had!

So being that this is pre-merger with Yutani, something most go a bit awry for Weyland as a result of the events of Prometheus, I'm figuring ... therefore making a merger necessary ... or the results are so successful that they take over Yutani.

The accent's a tad overcooked, perhaps, but it's a great little teaser. You can understand their approach to the whole project from what we've seen so far, and now we're getting a sort of history lesson to come before the movie itself ... and indeed speak of the DNA of the movie itself.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Excuse my American ignorance when it comes to accents, but what issue do you guys have with Pearce's voice?

Ireland
    It's faux posh and it comes off as someone trying to do a upper class British accent and failing.

Guy would probably have been better off just using his own accent.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Undisclosed
    Really liked that little speech.
    I just hope the final film will meet expectations set by their expertly hyping this film.
    If it fails I'll just rewatch Moon. That was also a fantastic 'adult' scifi.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Excuse my American ignorance when it comes to accents, but what issue do you guys have with Pearce's voice?
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    It's faux posh and it comes off as someone trying to do a upper class British accent and failing.

What Shoot said ... it's like he's trying very hard to be a well educated, well spoken British person. While it might be technically proficient, it's isn't the most life-like as an accent if that makes sense ... more an impression, than a true inhabiting. But then again it's far from terrible too, so just a little niggle, nothing major.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    Really liked that little speech.
    I just hope the final film will meet expectations set by their expertly hyping this film.
    If it fails I'll just rewatch Moon. That was also a fantastic 'adult' scifi.
    Moon is sublime. Any plot holes are nicely covered over by the sheer scale of the acting by Rockwell and Spacey...and the overall feel of the movie is wonderful.

That TED conference was pretty neat though...it was an interesting look at the Alien Universe.
    Last edited by Legion2213; 29-Feb-2012 at 06:06 PM. Reason: .
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Ireland
    What the hell is "TED" anyway?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    What the hell is "TED" anyway?
    the TED conferences i'm familiar with are usually 4 day seminars where futurists across many different disciplines come together to share ideas/information.

Legion, if you are referring to something else, by all means correct.

http://www.ted.com/pages/registration
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Ah, I see. I never would have noticed.

I guess it's kinda like the southern US accents in TWD. Living in Atlanta and hearing it everyday, I can't help but laugh at some of Rick's lines. Morgan's "De-id....you ge-it....be-it" from the first episode still makes me laugh...

Undisclosed
    Ha. And there I was thinking: wow ,Lincoln is really good at doing an American accent. I was surprised to find out he was a Brit!
    Goes to show English isn't my mother tongue huh.
    Still neither Pearce nor Lincoln can ever reach the depths Keanu Reeves hit when he played Jonathan Harker in Dracula.
    Last edited by krisvds; 01-Mar-2012 at 04:51 PM. Reason: .

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    the TED conferences i'm familiar with are usually 4 day seminars where futurists across many different disciplines come together to share ideas/information.
    Ah...ok. Never heard of it.

-- -------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

I guess it's kinda like the southern US accents in TWD. Living in Atlanta and hearing it everyday, I can't help but laugh at some of Rick's lines. Morgan's "De-id....you ge-it....be-it" from the first episode still makes me laugh...
    Yeh, it's funny. At times I half expect some of the characters to stick a "YEEHHAAAWW" at the end of sentences.

Super Moderator

UK

Interesting ... I guess there are very, very few actors out there that can do the near-impossible: entirely inhabit the accent and voice of another country/people to pitch-perfect levels. However it is interesting that, to me, I'm very impressed indeed with Andrew Lincoln's voice in TWD as he sounds entirely different to how I've been used to hearing him on British shows - yet if you're 'on the inside' for whatever accent, you can pick the holes in it. Interesting. I wonder if these dialogue coaches are ever from the areas they're coaching for? Perhaps they could use a local to tweak the voice with them - I'm speaking generally here, for all productions.

Anyway - Pearce has totally changed his voice, and while there may be some Brits out there who speak like that, they must be few and far between ... like I said, it's like he's trying very hard to produce the accent ... ... perhaps it's more like a Brit who was raised elsewhere, but educated in the UK, so their accents have a different sound to them?

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Interesting ... I guess there are very, very few actors out there that can do the near-impossible: entirely inhabit the accent and voice of another country/people to pitch-perfect levels. However it is interesting that, to me, I'm very impressed indeed with Andrew Lincoln's voice in TWD as he sounds entirely different to how I've been used to hearing him on British shows - yet if you're 'on the inside' for whatever accent, you can pick the holes in it.
    To be fair to Lincoln, he does a good enough job that a to a Yankee like me he sounds like he's from the South, but I couldn't tell a Virginia Piedmont from an Southern Appalachian to save my life.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    Now this is an american accent done right.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    To be clear....I don't think Lincoln's accent is horrible. He does a fine job, but sometimes little things he says come off as funny to me for some reason...