Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dawn (Original)

United States
    In my opinion, Dawn 78 is far and above the remake, in just about every aspect imaginable. I for one got irritated at the remake ignoring some of the accepted facts regarding zombies...so to speak...such as the fact that no reanimated corpse could run, except maybe a minute after death. It's not a question of how the person dies...it's a simple fact of rigormortis. The body would be unable to move efficiently enough to move fast, let alone run. Another problem I had with the remake was the fact that you only came back if you died after being bitten. These are just two things you can't change...in my opinion anyway.

Super Moderator

UK
    It's also that the zombies shouldn't be capable of understanding how to use their bodies. Think about it - when you're drunk, you're not really capable of running, a swift shamble perhaps but no more. Zombies are like babies or toddlers trying to walk, they can't figure it out, they don't know how to coordinate their movements, but as they exist longer they begin to get used to it - but by then they're unable to run because they still don't have enough skill to do it. Besides, their muscles would be all buggered up from lack of nourishment (yeh I know zombies don't eat for food, but you know what I mean, the human body does eat for food and requires actual nourishment).

As for folk who say running zombies are scarier - ANYTHING running at you is scary. Even if Jessica Alba came tear-assing towards you, mouth frothing and nothing but rage in her eyes you'd crap your pants - she'd still look hot, but it'd be scary. GAR's zombies slowly gather until they're en mass and you can't fight against them and then you're surrounded and you don't know what to do - THAT is scary, being caught off guard and surrounded. Through mankind's inaction we destroy ourselves...that's scary.

Harvester Of Sorrow Deadman_Deluxe's Avatar
    ViP

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed
    I found 28 Days Later to be both clever, and scary. Much like Romeros films.

Obviously, 28 Days Later is not a zombiefilm, but I would still place it in the "zombie film" category. If that makes any sense.
    Agreed ... BUT ... you should really take 28 Days Later out of the "zombie film category" and put it back into the "post apocalypse genre" where it belongs

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie
    It's also that the zombies shouldn't be capable of understanding how to use their bodies. Think about it - when you're drunk...
    I know the running zombie thing doesn't make much sense to some people, but really--it's a different movie, a different universe. Ideas like running zombies don't make much sense in Romero's universe (but apparently evolving zombies do). Two different universes, two different paradigms.

If it bothers you on an aesthetic level or is somehow verboten due to a belief that GAR says zombies don't run, so they just can't, that's your taste and there's no need to defend it. On a note of personal preference, I think zombie movement should (normally in films) be determined by the rate of physical decay and likely trauma to limbs and central nervous system. I don't think olympic level sprinters are the way to go (again, in my ideal movie), but think there can be cases made for fairly fast, shuffling gait by some of the recenty deceased. But again, these are a matter of taste.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 21-May-2006 at 05:01 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    are you kidding. the original dawn of the dead is superior to the remake. you should watch it now. It has a deeper message against consumerism and society's obsession with materialism etc. plus it really has that sense of dread about the beginning of the end of the world etc.not to mention tom savini's amazing gore effects. in dawn 2004 you only see a slight shot of a zombie taking out some guy's guts. in dawn 1978 you're in for a gut eating fest.

Super Moderator

UK
    Zombies can stumble swiftly, like a toddler will do when it's getting confident, but the whole point in zombies is that they aren't people, they don't understand normal life. They have one goal - eat people - surely because they have no developed understanding then that means they wouldn't have a developed understanding of how to operate their bodies.

It's also down to rot and decay and wounds and so on. To me, 'zombies' that run and leap and screech like banshees are just wrong/silly/funny in a 'laughing at you' kinda way. It's like a vampire not drinking your blood. Or a werewolf that doesn't turn with a full moon.

I'll shut up now...Top Gear is a comin'...

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie
    As for folk who say running zombies are scarier - ANYTHING running at you is scary. Even if Jessica Alba came tear-assing towards you, mouth frothing and nothing but rage in her eyes you'd crap your pants - she'd still look hot, but it'd be scary. GAR's zombies slowly gather until they're en mass and you can't fight against them and then you're surrounded and you don't know what to do - THAT is scary, being caught off guard and surrounded. Through mankind's inaction we destroy ourselves...that's scary.
    I couldn't agree more on your entire post MinionZombie. the 2004 version is on my tv right now & it just doesn't have the same thrill to me...I'd rather watch the extended american version of the original for REAL scares... it's the atmosphere that's set in Romero's film as well, that impending doom that creeps up when you can still hear the sound of the corpses hitting their hands on the glass....everything fels cozy until you're reminded of the situation by that sound.
    designs-n-creations.com

Sometimes dead is better....

Just been bitten Guru ofthe Dead's Avatar

United States
    I agree about running dead people. George Romero's dead are what would be discribed as close to the truth. Come on after a body has died it gets stiff and if it did come back then the muscles would stay that way. These superhuman dead are too Hollywood. We all know being cornered by slow moving dead will be more terrifying than just getting it over with. I hope I'm not rambling.

Undisclosed
    Not at all Guru, the slow movers keep the tension in the inevidibility of your demise....they move slowly but that just keeps the anxiety level higher, because sooner or later...they WILL get you....
    designs-n-creations.com

Sometimes dead is better....

Undisclosed
    in the dawn 'remake's' defense, running flesh eaters is a different scary...like has been said many many times - they are two different movies, and aside from sharing a name, have absolutely nothing in common with each other...

of course the original is still champion (duh).

Just been bitten Guru ofthe Dead's Avatar

United States
    ipotts85 and DeadCentral I agree on both accounts. Yes the running dead are a different kind of terror, you can't get away by just running you must think and find something faster to get a way if you can. The slow dead you may run and once again like DeadCentral said you won't be able to hide because they will find you. Just ask Flyboy, he found out the hard way. Oh yeah they are different movies. However the original in my opinion is the best. No CG, fake crayon looking blood, blue makeup, and good old-fashion splatter. Tom Savini is the man.