Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some general tattoo advice

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pidemiC View Post
    Reasoning?
    I don't have any myself, but in my experience most people who get them end up disatisfied with it after a while or just regret the move in the long term.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I don't have any myself, but in my experience most people who get them end up disatisfied with it after a while or just regret the move in the long term.
    That usually can be easily avoided if you follow the info that we've all posted on the previous page.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Tattoos don't make you look tough or cool anymore cos every poser has at least a couple now...
    Not everyone does it to be hard or tough. Perhaps we do it because we like like the way it looks.

Scotland
    I've never understood the point in tattoos. I just don't get it. I mean, I'm a total metal head and hang out in bars where almost everyone but me is covered in ink, but I just don't understand what's supposed to be fun or exciting about tattoos. Tattoos don't make you look tough or cool anymore cos every poser has at least a couple now, and it's all well an good to say that you're getting it done for your own expressive need but you're either gonna get sick of looking at it or if its in a hidden place, you'll forget it's there most of the time and no one else is gonna see it or or give a shit about it even if they can.

I dunno, I guess I just don't understand the desire to have one or what purpose they're supposed to fulfil.
    I only have one tattoo which is based on a design I drew in college and this may be my only tattoo unless I design another like it. Although, I doubt I would get the same spaced out zen I did when I drew mine in some forgotten lecture.

The reason I got it carved into me is because it has a timeless lovecraftian beauty that reflects my inner mojo (wow, never though I would go all new-age ). I know noone else will have this and I am still glad I have it as it reminds me of good times.

Hell, I can only recommend from experience, if you can draw even a little then sit down with a sketch book and let your mind wander. Best to get something you know is original than finding someone with the same tat, how embarrassing would that be.

P.S: Tattoo on your ankle?, are you a girl?

United States
    Most tattoo artists do not want to tattoo someone else's work.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Not everyone does it to be hard or tough. Perhaps we do it because we like like the way it looks.
    i have honestly never considered people "hard" for getting a tatoo.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    i have honestly never considered people "hard" for getting a tatoo.
    The only "hard" tattoos are those scumbag ones on chavs & people who have spent a lot of time in her majestys pleasure that you dont tend to see as often these days,elbow cobwebs, "love/hate" or "ACAB" on the knuckles, "cut here" dots round the neck,inverted crosses,swastikas,teardrops (supposedly used to mean they'd killed someone) or in the US those awful gang affiliation tattoos that you see them all strutting about with on those "toughest prison" documentaries!
    Some of those people are genuinly hard but a lot have those tattoos to try & look hard or dangerous for some reason.
    The rest of us who just go for decent artwork arent trying to be hard or anything else though,we just like tattoos!

United Kingdom
    Trendy tattoos I can think of:

The aforementioned empty stars, little devils, "cut here"s, love and hate, elbow cobwebs.

Also: dolphins, yin-yangs, swallows, these kind of rockabilly music ones that girls seem to get covered in, usually paired with earplugs and a big quiff:

I think you should get whatever you want if you really and truly think it looks cool and it won't screw up your job prospects!
    La freak, c'est chic!

.:Twitter:.:Facebook:.:Blogspot:.

United States
    I got one a few years ago on my back, lower right. My tat artist recommended that mine be large enough so that when I'm old and wrinkly it won't look like a pile of crap. He was an apprentice so my tat only cost $70, and the guy took a lot of time getting it just right.
    I'm not scared to admit that it's Scooby Doo. Yeah, yeah. What can I say? The dog is cool (and solves mysteries, too.) (Rhyme was totally unintentional).
    Just have fun with it and good luck!
    Last edited by DawnGirl27; 12-Jun-2009 at 08:33 PM.

United States
    I've never understood the point in tattoos. I just don't get it. I mean, I'm a total metal head and hang out in bars where almost everyone but me is covered in ink, but I just don't understand what's supposed to be fun or exciting about tattoos. Tattoos don't make you look tough or cool anymore cos every poser has at least a couple now, and it's all well an good to say that you're getting it done for your own expressive need but you're either gonna get sick of looking at it or if its in a hidden place, you'll forget it's there most of the time and no one else is gonna see it or or give a shit about it even if they can.

I dunno, I guess I just don't understand the desire to have one or what purpose they're supposed to fulfil.
    I have nothing against folks with tats, but have often wondered what the rate of regret is among those who bear ink. Plus, have wondered whether the random tat wearer realizes that someday they will grow elderly and still have a tat of a zombie geisha on their ass, but with old person's reduced-elasticity skin so it doesn't really look as bitchen as it did when they were twenty.

I might consider having a wedding ring tattooed on my left ring finger, though, but just cannot see myself doing anything more extreme than that. Just a personal preference issue, BTW - again have no issue or judgement about those who have them.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    I have nothing against folks with tats, but have often wondered what the rate of regret is among those who bear ink. Plus, have wondered whether the random tat wearer realizes that someday they will grow elderly and still have a tat of a zombie geisha on their ass, but with old person's reduced-elasticity skin so it doesn't really look as bitchen as it did when they were twenty.

I might consider having a wedding ring tattooed on my left ring finger, though, but just cannot see myself doing anything more extreme than that. Just a personal preference issue, BTW - again have no issue or judgement about those who have them.
    Totally depends on the tat chief,a lot of people in their late teens getting them tend to go for it purely based on trends or trying to look hard,so they wander into their local ink shop,pick a design off the wall that half the people in the town have got without giving it too much thought in the long term,then regretting it by their mid 20's!as i said before i've had several on the tops of my arms but dont regret them as they still suit me & look good,im just glad i didnt have cartoon characters,names or "chav tats" done

United Kingdom
    Plus, have wondered whether the random tat wearer realizes that someday they will grow elderly and still have a tat of a zombie geisha on their ass, but with old person's reduced-elasticity skin so it doesn't really look as bitchen as it did when they were twenty.
    Your entire ass is going to look repulsive when you're elderly anyway. May as well stick a tattoo on there.
    La freak, c'est chic!

.:Twitter:.:Facebook:.:Blogspot:.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

i was thinking about this earlier, say you get a real bad one, guy i know got a moustache on the side of his index finger he held to his upper lip..... on the wrong side of the finger so he had to wrap his hand around his head. Thats stupid, but say you get one that you grow to dislike but not so much regret i thin its like this: You may grow to hate the image itself, but it will always remind you of when you got and that place in your life back then yknow? like pictures if you will.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Freak View Post
    Your entire ass is going to look repulsive when you're elderly anyway. May as well stick a tattoo on there.
    Touche! Well said, Chick Freak!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    You may grow to hate the image itself, but it will always remind you of when you got and that place in your life back then yknow? like pictures if you will.
    I actually like the way you put that, so in some way I do see the appeal.

Back in my old neighborhood, a lot of the kids had homemade tats, done jailhouse style (with a needle stuck to a battery, ink from pens, etc) and had some pretty elaborate and cool looking designs, albeit street themed. I remember a time in my youth when I really admired these, and totally wanted one. I know my head was in a different place back then, and though I was never in a gang many of my friends were and maybe it was borne out of a need to fit in with the group, but somehow I was lucky enough not to get one of these gangsta looking things on my neck or arm. Today, my friends from my neighborhood who have those tats go out of their way to hide them with clothing or makeup since they are in effect branded as a former gangmember.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 15-Jun-2009 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Undisclosed
    What about the process do you wantt to know?

Usually they shave your arm, stencil on your pattern, outline it, shade it, then color it. It works by tiny needles puncturing your flesh and jabbing ink into the wound. It doesnt burn... for some reason when I was a kid before I got ink I always thought it was burned in. Its not. I thought my 1st tattoo felt like I was rubbing a nail or a tac against my skin for a long time and it was just really raw. But if you get ink near say a collar bone, or hip or spine or wrist, it hurts much much more. A smaller tattoo should be as cheap as 80-200 dollars american. More extensive work can go from 500 to 5000.

My advice is to get the pattern you want and stick it on your wall for a few months and see if you get bored with seeing it so often. Put special significance into it too and it will be more endearing in the long run to you.

My next tattoo I have slated with a famous artist here in my area, im getting 2 aces ripping through the flesh of my right arm wrist and there will be a trail of blood and veins and bio matter shooting out from the wound. Its going to be pimp as hell, the cards themselves will have enough space for me to add important dates to in the long run, like childrens birth days etc.

hope this helps.

Tats are really awesome if you take the time to plan it out right.