Thread: Tetris > D-Day (says Google)

United States

Tetris > D-Day (says Google)

We all know that Google is famous for changing it's main logo to reflect the various holidays and events during the year. Most of the time, it's pretty creative and thoughtful. But today, their logo that they decided to post got made me scratch my head.

Today is the 65th Anniversary of the D-Day Invasion of Europe. It was a pivotal moment in modern history that drastically changed the tide of the second World War. But today also marks the 25th Anniversary of the release of the Tetris video game. Apparently, Google felt that the Tetris Anniversary was a little more important and decided the reflect that decision in their logo today.

I know that it's really just a petty complaint that I have, but to me I would think that such an important date such as this needs to honor the great strides and sacrifices that the Allies made on this day 65 years ago, and not some video game. Yeah, the logo is creative and definitely more light-hearted than a sappy WWII memorial logo may be, but still.

Do I have a valid complaint? or am I just being a baby?

Nothing against Tetris though. It's a great game.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i think it was just because 25th anniversaries are a big thing for digital mediums, there really becoming history now and its worth noting, as for the war there's always going to be a memorial and its not like its ignored, its just the google logo for one day. Plus tetris is something most people know about, and nowadays i figure companies will much rather remind people of something positive that doesnt have the mental train of thought to lead to nazis and war and the like.

so....kinda?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I don't see what the big deal is about, really. While yes, D-Day was important, Tetris is way more important and relevant for a site as Google, if you're catching my drift.

You don't celebrate the NOTLD 40th Anniversity at a My Little Pony convention... Sort off...

United States
    Fuck Tetris.

That's right, I said it. There are multiple other games that came out in 1984 that are far, far better than that piece of shit.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    Fuck Tetris.

That's right, I said it. There are multiple other games that came out in 1984 that are far, far better than that piece of shit.

United States
    So you'd rather play some shit about "ooh, I can turn falling puzzle pieces" than Punch-Out, Paperboy, or 1942?

Not me, Jack.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pidemiC View Post
    We all know that Google is famous for changing it's main logo to reflect the various holidays and events during the year. Most of the time, it's pretty creative and thoughtful. But today, their logo that they decided to post got made me scratch my head.

Today is the 65th Anniversary of the D-Day Invasion of Europe. It was a pivotal moment in modern history that drastically changed the tide of the second World War. But today also marks the 25th Anniversary of the release of the Tetris video game. Apparently, Google felt that the Tetris Anniversary was a little more important and decided the reflect that decision in their logo today.

I know that it's really just a petty complaint that I have, but to me I would think that such an important date such as this needs to honor the great strides and sacrifices that the Allies made on this day 65 years ago, and not some video game. Yeah, the logo is creative and definitely more light-hearted than a sappy WWII memorial logo may be, but still.

Do I have a valid complaint? or am I just being a baby?

Nothing against Tetris though. It's a great game.
    Sod D-Day. I'm with Google.

I guess the Russians are laughing either way. It was the Russian victory at Kursk that hailed the end of German Reich (and subsequently the war in Europe), not D-Day and the Russians also invented Tetris.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I guess the Russians are laughing either way. It was the Russian victory at Kursk that hailed the end of German Reich (and subsequently the war in Europe), not D-Day and the Russians also invented Tetris.
    You've got a good point there. Google would never ever have a sign for Kursk or Stalingrad (the battles that REALLY won the war, my friends!), so I don't really see what the big fuzz is about. D-Day isn't more important than those two battles, and it would only seem wierd to commemorate them on a Google banner.

Oh, and by the way, Paperboy sucks.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 07-Jun-2009 at 02:47 AM.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    So you'd rather play some shit about "ooh, I can turn falling puzzle pieces" than Punch-Out, Paperboy, or 1942?

Not me, Jack.
    I thought you were on a bender till I read the above post, SRP. Good point.

I also think that the 25th anniversary point that Hellsing made is a good one. D-Day was a major event in world history, but let's not get all butt hurt over every little perceived slight.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    its a good job the russians didnt give a shit about their own troops welfare & appalling losses or the war would have had a very different outcome!
    Anyway being an american company im quite suprised google chose tetris over D.Day, i guess we'll have to see if they do one on the 25th anniversary of Call of Duty