Thread: DAWN OF THE DEAD DIVIMAX w/ WARHOL COVER

United States

DAWN OF THE DEAD DIVIMAX w/ WARHOL COVER

My wife had purchased a used DOTD Divimax with the Warhol-esque cover from Amoeba Records for approximately $55.00 USD a few years back. She had been told that the high price was because it was out of print.

I just saw this on ebay currently set at .25 cents. Can someone in the know tell me if my wife get ripped off or was the $55.00 price fair?

Here is the cover: DOTD COVER.jpg

And here is the EBAY link.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/DVD-MOVIE-Dawn-o...3A2%7C294%3A50
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    My wife had purchased a used DOTD Divimax with the Warhol-esque cover from Amoeba Records for approximately $55.00 USD a few years back. She had been told that the high price was because it was out of print.

I just saw this on ebay currently set at .25 cents. Can someone in the know tell me if my wife get ripped off or was the $55.00 price fair?

Here is the cover: DOTD COVER.jpg

And here is the EBAY link.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/DVD-MOVIE-Dawn-o...3A2%7C294%3A50
    I too remember when sellers on Amazon Marketplace were selling the US Theatrical Version with that artwork for about $80. I think the reason fore the price was that there was a short period of time - in between the deletion of this first DVD release and the release of the currently retailing versions - when there where no Region 1 editions of Dawn of the Dead in print anywhere in North America. It was widely available, quite cheaply, on DVD in Europe, but in the States you could only get the above version second hand, so the price rose accordingly. A similar thing happened with Army of Darkness in the UK in the late 90s - I remember when you could find it for £5 in Poundstretcher, then suddenly it went out of print and VHSes of the movie started selling for £20-30 on eBay. Of course, now it's been re-released on DVD, the stock in the old (formerly expensive) release has fallen below that of the current, affordable version. And the same has apparently happened with the old Dawn DVD too.

Presumably, at the time, she could have spent a lot more than $55 on the movie, but now she's probably wishing she'd just waited for the re-release.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post

Presumably, at the time, she could have spent a lot more than $55 on the movie, but now she's probably wishing she'd just waited for the re-release.
    Thanks for the info, Kraken. Well, at least the cover looks cool, right?
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    yeah, when i first began building my dvd collection, dawn was one of the first movies that i knew i absolutely had to own, but at the time, this was the only dvd available (this was prior to the remake or ultimate edition)...so like your wife, i ended up paying around 50 bucks...but i was the coolest kid in the barracks, as no one else who knew of DOTD had ever seen it available on dvd, and those who weren't hip to the romero-verse loved the film upon their first viewing.

United States
    I'm with you Professor, when I first started collecting dvds Day and Dawn were oop in region 1. Yojimbo I saw that version going on ebay for $250 once. Although this was before Anchor Bay? released more versions of the movies, they were quite pricey back in the day. Now they are still hard to find but would probably go for under $20

I'd buy it off you for the right price

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    What she paid for it now makes it way over priced, but the version is incorrectly billed as the theatrical version as that verison has more to the dock scene, it is as if someone re-cut the movie using both the Cannes cut and theatrical cut. However, $55.00 is way over priced.

Now, I have the original release, which was a flipper disc and was the Cannes cut. Released in 1997/1998 and that was recalled by Anchor Bay so they were a lot more rare than the Warhol-esqe cover. I had an extra copy of that version signed by TOm, Ken, and Scott, I went and sold that extra copy on ebay back in 2003 for $300.00, today I would be lucky to get $10.00 for it. So I was glad I parted with it when I did.

However, I have just about every US release of both DAWNS (Remake and Original)

1997 flipper
    1998 20th Warhol-esque edition
    2004 Hollow-foil
    2004 Non Foil
    2004 Ultimate
    2008 Blu-Ray

for the remake All Widescreen

2004 Korean Unrated Cut (which doesn't have CG blood on windhsield covering naked chick)
    2004 US Unrated With comic Book extra
    2004 US Unrated with Best Buy Bonus Disc
    2004 Theatrical R version
    2007 HD-DVD Version
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I too purchased this version for about 50 bucks before the new editions were released. It was pretty much the only option for us R1 people about 10 years ago. So if your wife bought it when there was no in-print R1 dvd, you didn't get ripped off. But now it would be considered way too much.

When this was still my only copy of Dawn, I loaned it to a buddy only to have the entire cover sleeve and inside card(with that cool artwork) devoured by his little dog. I even told him how much it meant to me, and he still let it get eaten. He never borrowed a DVD again...

United States
    Bassman, PM me your address and I will send you hi res color scan printed on good cardstock that you can use to replace the puppy bitten cover.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I appreciate it, Yojimbo, but I've already got several other copies of the film and seeing as how this version won't bring in much money now, it's probably not worth our time....

Thank you for the offer, though.

However....I would love to see a copy of the inside artwork. I remember a really cool painting/poster...
    Last edited by bassman; 30-Jun-2009 at 04:34 PM.

ViP

United States
    Although everything has been covered so far, I thought I'd add this.

Sometime around 2000 I distinctly remember seeing about 20 2-packs of Dawn (Warhol cover) and Day packaged together for $9.99. I had no idea they were out of print, and I already had the both of them so I blew it off. I could have made a 10X profit!!!!!!!!! ARGH!!!!

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I too purchased this version for about 50 bucks before the new editions were released. It was pretty much the only option for us R1 people about 10 years ago. So if your wife bought it when there was no in-print R1 dvd, you didn't get ripped off. But now it would be considered way too much.

When this was still my only copy of Dawn, I loaned it to a buddy only to have the entire cover sleeve and inside card(with that cool artwork) devoured by his little dog. I even told him how much it meant to me, and he still let it get eaten. He never borrowed a DVD again...
    Wow, I didn't even know dogs really did that. I thought it was just a schoolboy myth used to avoid homework.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I actually got super lucky and found this on a bargain rack at Boscov's for under $10, like 10 years ago (at least). I recall around that time looking this up on Amazon and seeing people selling it for over $100. Thinking it'd only continue to increase in value, I refused to part with it... then the Anchor Bay version came out. Oh well!