Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "the colony" on the discovery channel

Australia
    Saw this yesterday, an interesting show. A bit more paced than other shows of this kind (like Survivor) which is good.

Mike seems to be a bit of a hot head! I agree that they should have more "normal" people on the show but I suppose they want things to progress quickly by placing highly educated & mechanically experienced "surviviors" together. They would be a good bunch of people to survive with!
    zombies
    eat flesh.

Australia
    Watched episode 4 today, like most reality tv shows, it's more of a psychological experiment. The Colonists seem like they could get violent, against the marauders, or each other as they're really getting into the "post apocalyptic" storyline.

Interesting!
    zombies
    eat flesh.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    I forgot about this and heard it was ending its 2nd season soon, figured i'd give it a watch and honestly its not bad. its got the same american need for "DRAMUH" like in ghosthunters or something but its was an entertaining pilot to watch with the handyman going a little crazy from what sounded like withdrawl from his vices and the way they all went a bit funny when the one guy said he was in prison for 6 years.

Gonna keep watching this, not good survival as it were, but the psychological aspect is interesting.

Super Moderator

United States
    I keep forgetting this show exists, catching a commercial for it and promising myself I'll set my DVR for it or somehow catch up on back episodes only to forget. Glad to hear it may be worth it when I eventually do get to thoroughly check it out.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    There are some good lessons from the show. Like strictly using the wingman concept, or making sure that necessities are hidden within the compound, instead of being openly displayed on the selves. The second season seems to have a lot more "average Joe" types, and those folks are getting their butts kicked.

Twitching

United States
    One thing that REALLY bugs me bout this show,
    I live in a relatively small city, Ocala. About 100,000 counting all surrounding areas/suburbs to the city proper. Probably twice that for all of Marion County. Just in Marion County we have SEVEN large/major libraries, and FOURTEEN "neighborhood libraries" that I know of first-hand, plus a look at the internet informed me there's 25+ more of these smaller libraries (which seem to have just as many books/same types of books as any major library, just lacking the conference and reading rooms + extensive computer areas that take up so much space in the major libraries).

This being the case, anyone who can grab a phonebook off a payphone and page to L for Library can find any number of libraries, full of all sorts of awesome and incredibly useful information in a survival situation. Beyond that, MANY younger people I know keep a gig or so of Survival-Related e-books, .txt files and what not on their comps/laptops. Yes, the juice will run out reasonably fast once the power goes out, UNLESS you find a building with solar panel hookups (which are now MANY business/office/banking buildings) on the roofs. In such a building you could literally plug your shit into the wall socket, since the solar panels are specifically wired in to defray the amount of power being drawn from the grid to keep the bills down.

Living in FL I have a major advantage, in that the majority of the larger buildings have solar paneling extensive enough to actually run the meter backwards, meaning they're generating more juice than the building uses on most days. Yes, the ISPs and Internet in general would go down shortly after a global disaster, but NOT INSTANTLY. A smart person would have oodles of time to go on any of the Pirate Torrent sites and download the very best of Survival Info-related books either onto a laptop, or onto a desktop, and thence onto a laptop after some judicious Best Buy/Circuit City looting.

The fact is, even unprepared people would have survival info at their fingertips if they just thought about it. So the idea of people needing to get along on only their day-to-day/profession knowledge really bugs me, ya know?

United States
    Season 1 is on Netflix Instant Queue. It's only 10 episodes about 45 mins a piece. It was ooookkk...Held my attention but holy hell did they waste a load of time. I was getting pissed with all the time they wasted trying to make complex crap.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I forgot about this and heard it was ending its 2nd season soon, figured i'd give it a watch and honestly its not bad. its got the same american need for "DRAMUH" like in ghosthunters or something but its was an entertaining pilot to watch with the handyman going a little crazy from what sounded like withdrawl from his vices and the way they all went a bit funny when the one guy said he was in prison for 6 years.

Gonna keep watching this, not good survival as it were, but the psychological aspect is interesting.
    Every show has a need for drama, drama drives plot-lines regardless of country of origin. Sadly reality TV creates moments of drama because the producers of these shows are acutely aware of this.

Last I checked there was reality TV in just about every country with TV.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Every show has a need for drama, drama drives plot-lines regardless of country of origin. Sadly reality TV creates moments of drama because the producers of these shows are acutely aware of this.

Last I checked there was reality TV in just about every country with TV.
    theres drama and 'dramuh'. one is dramatic plot developments to generate a more wavering narrative tone. the other is using black and white, slow downs and tinkling piano music to try and influence the viewer into thinking some is sad to make it interesting. american tv fucking LOVES this. not just reality tv, look at sci fi stuff compared to other countries stuff. slow motion, piano music and so much hugging. its bloody patronising at best, manipulative at its worst.