Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dawn re-make. A homage to Romero's film ?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by sfreeman View Post
    I finally succumbed to watching Snyder's remake of Dawn and have mixed views.I can't quite determine whether or not I like the film or not... As an action , kick zombie ass film I quite enjoyed the action.. but compared to Romero's its missing something..

Snyders film seems like a poor homage to Romero's film. Basing the plot on the original, and using character names for shops..

Could you call it a homage, or a re-invention of the zombie films for todays generation??

Would love to know you views.

S.
    It had some great moments, but also just too many dumb unecessary moments:-
    - Godzilla zombies. ie: Vocal chords change when they die?
    - Demon zombies. ie: Eyes change when they die?
    - Dooofus humans. ie: Let's go looking around all by myself. Or let's run out into a pack of zombies with no concern for my mortality.
    - Cheap shocks. ie: Zombies know when to be quiet and how to time their attacks. ie: Best example was in the underground parking lot where the zombies were quiet when necessary and timed their attacks when necessary...

Would rather watch it than Diary though!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    ... but if they had called it something different it would have been seen in a much better light im sure.
    I continue to disagree with this point. You put zombies surrounding a mall full of survivors and you get accused of raping Dawn of the Dead. I believe that by calling it a remake and naming it Dawn of the Dead you acknowledge that you are riding the coattails of the predecessor. Name it something else and you risk people thinking you believe you are original.

Some observations:
    - It is a good popcorn flick. If it comes on I tend to watch it.
    - It has some real wtf moments.
    - It has some moments that just plain don't work on a plot/plausibility level.
    - There are parts of the movie I simply will not watch or have to grit my teeth to endure.
    - I enjoy the movie tons more if I don't think too hard about what they're doing and why.
    - The number and behavior of the zombies was inconsistent and off mark.
    - The start was just amazing and really got me into it. The ending left me cold.

Ironically, I can say the exact same things about Land. The movies were more alike than people want to admit.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Monrozombi View Post
    Theres nothing wrong with liking it, unless you start saying how much of a better film it is compared to GAR's, thinking fast zombies are better etc

I agree completely and take exception to the line of thinking that if you turn your brain off it's o.k.

That statement has connotations along the lines of if you like this film you must be braindead which is unfair. Why can't someone just like a film for no other reason than they just do?

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    Ironically, I can say the exact same things about Land. The movies were more alike than people want to admit.
    Or you could equally say, the reaction to both films is alike.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    That statement has connotations along the lines of if you like this film you must be braindead which is unfair. Why can't someone just like a film for no other reason than they just do?

Let's not get into that one again. I can see Dubious running toward us from a distance screaming "POPCOOOOORN?!?!?!?".
    Last edited by bassman; 16-Jul-2009 at 04:43 PM.

Super Moderator

United States
    Trin and Neil have the right of it, I think. A good, fun movie that relies heavily on action elements and has some aspects many might find annoying if dwelt upon (raptor zombies and plot holes).

Personally, I loved the film, though. The beginning was incredible, the acting was passable to well done with, for me anyway, a few likable characters in there and it was just good fun. DVD extras were also a blast, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I can see Dubious shambling toward us from a distance moaning "POPCOOOOORN...".
    Well played, Bassman, but I made a minor edit.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    I like both the zombie type films tho. the zombies in Snyders film, and films like res evil and 28 days later, make it a horror/zombie film for me.. after all iare zombie films not meant to be horror films ?
    Romero's zombie's as good as they, almost patronize the other characters for not being able to get away fast enough..

I know the ending is supposed to be unfinished and the two survivors inevitably die, but why do most of these cult films end in such an unfinished way. like Donnie Darko, that film baffles me, yet i still like it..

And why are we fans of such a strange genre? My friends hate anything to do with zombie films, but I find them really interesting.

s.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    I agree completely and take exception to the line of thinking that if you turn your brain off it's o.k.

I think the message is not that the moviegoer is braindead for liking it. I think the message is that in order to enjoy it you have to go into it with the proper mindset. Specifically, you have to leave your analytical side at the door. The movie is not going to tickle your higher functions. And if you expect it will you're going to hurt your enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Or you could equally say, the reaction to both films is alike.
    True. That's an apt way to put it as well. I just find it illuminating that at the 10,000 foot level the movies have some stark similarities.

Quote Originally Posted by sfreeman View Post
    And why are we fans of such a strange genre?
    Maybe this is just God's way of showing us that he's still the boss man.

Administrator

England
    Here's quite a good review I found that seems to agree with many of my opinions/views on it...

Click here
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    That is a good, in-depth, and thought provoking interview. I found myself agreeing with it in large chunks too.

Super Moderator

UK
    I just find it illuminating that at the 10,000 foot level the movies have some stark similarities.
    But you could equally say that the movies have some stark disimilarities.

Annoying anyone yet? It's true though (because Land is way better than Yawn - but you all knew I felt that way anyway).

United States
    But you could equally say that the movies have some stark disimilarities.

Annoying anyone yet? It's true though (because Land is way better than Yawn - but you all knew I felt that way anyway).
    Keep in mind as I point out that the movies have similarities, some of those similarities are good things. Atmosphere, great first 15 minutes, some great characters (some!! a few... maybe one or two...), some wicked gore, some good action, etc.

They do have some stark disimilarities, no doubt. Especially as you get below the 10,000 foot level.

Of course we all know that one of them sucks totally and the other is awesome. The only variable is which is which in people's opinion. LOL

Except for me. I've come to enjoy them both equally. Or NOT enjoy them both equally. Depends on what part of each movie.

Super Moderator

UK
    I wouldn't call Land "awesome" - that's reserved for Dawn or Day - but Land is definitely a good and rather enjoyable flick with some brains about it.

Yawn04 is gash ... smelly gash ... with a big poopy head.

United States
    I wouldn't call Land "awesome" - that's reserved for Dawn or Day - but Land is definitely a good and rather enjoyable flick with some brains about it.

Yawn04 is gash ... smelly gash ... with a big poopy head.
    And such a well thought out and balanced opinion!!

Super Moderator

UK
    Well if you want thought out, there's always my 110 reasons in 110 minutes why Yawn04 sucks list, previously re-posted in this thread a few days ago.