Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Dawn re-make. A homage to Romero's film ?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Speaking of Star Trek.....where's the DVD?!? That movie was awesome...

And a bit about the Dawn remake/Snyder: I've seen Watchmen several times now and it's actually growing on me with each viewing. So Snyder did okay in my book with this one. His films seem to be getting better as we go. Still nothing groundbreaking, but enjoyable.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    His films seem to be getting better as we go.

And isn't that all you can ask of an artist?

On that note I wish the same could be said about GAr.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Chasing Prey

Canada
    did anyone mention the helicopter yet?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    And isn't that all you can ask of an artist?

I wasn't ragging on the guy. Just saying that I like Watchmen. But my interest for the graphic novel may have something to do with that.

300 was a single viewing for the FX but never cared to watch it again, and Dawn04 was a dull action movie.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I wasn't ragging on the guy. Just saying that I like Watchmen. But my interest for the graphic novel may have something to do with that.

300 was a single viewing for the FX but never cared to watch it again, and Dawn04 was a dull action movie.

No I wasn't accusing you of that. I was just saying that artist progress, and in some cases regress in their careers over time. They learn from the past and use it to make them better at what they do.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    My personal opinion is that money-making art, such as movies, tend to get worse after the artist gains success.

Art and profit are joined at the hip though artists tend to not like to admit it. GAR wants his movies to be seen as art but he needs his movies to be profitable to fuel further movies.

Artists become successful by creating things the mainstream will pay for. Once they attain a certain level of success that frees them up to do things more toward their personal liking. Often that is seen as a step backwards to the mainstream that doesn't share the artist's vision.

I don't know that Snyder qualifies as an artist just because he makes things that could be considered art just like he probably doesn't qualify as a visionary just because he has a vision. I think he's trying to make money first and foremost.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post

I think he's trying to make money first and foremost.
    I agree with Trin - clearly Snyder is concerned about the bottom line (income) first and foremost. Certainly, he cannot be faulted for that.

Whether his product will stand the test of time and be viewed in the future as anything more than a largely forgettable commercial consumable meant solely to generate short term box office revenue to serve the corporate interest remains to be seen. I maintain that in the long run if he continues to produce product in this fashion that he will not be remembered as anything more than a corporate hack - which IMO is all that he currently is.

At least Ed Wood, for example, wrote his own scripts and produced his product to follow his own vision, and in that sense he is a superior artist to Snyder as far as I am concerned.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Super Moderator

UK
    Box Office has nothing to do with quality, just popularity.

Popularity doesn't necessarily mean quality, but it doesn't necessarily mean gash either (Dark Knight was massively popular, and it was awesome - for example).

Likewise, sod all BO doesn't mean crap ... sometimes it does ... but it's no set rule.

If Yawn04 was popular, semi-popular, or completely unliked, I wouldn't care - my hatred of it is based on the movie itself, and I think it sucks ... for at least 110 reasons.

Watchmen ... I'll be watching it again sometime soon - although, word to the wise, the "Director's Cut" is not available in the UK - us Brits only get the theatrical version on DVD for some reason. No doubt come December it'll be the whole kit-and-caboodle.

I do feel some of the elements of Watchman were dumbed down, or carried in such a way as you feel that Snyder & Co don't quite "get" it - for instance, I read someone who mentioned a prime example of the latter being the hacking into the head of that kiddy-killer guy by Rorschach - it became comic and OTT, rather than what it really should have been.

Other examples have been mentioned here - the obviousness of The Comedian being Silk II's father, or thingymy being the villain ... and there have been some people questioning some of the casting choices, such as the dude who plays the villain guy - it just doesn't work like you think it should, and I'd have to agree. I didn't like that guy's performance, and he was so obviously evil that there was no shock, surprise or anything from me - and I've never read the GN, nor knew about it from anywhere else, that he was the main baddie.

I'm still yet to read the GN mind you ... one day, I promise.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Box Office has nothing to do with quality, just popularity...If Yawn04 was popular, semi-popular, or completely unliked, I wouldn't care - my hatred of it is based on the movie itself, and I think it sucks ... for at least 110 reasons.
    Right on Minion, well said! And on that subject, those 110+ reasons are among the funniest shit I have read regarding this assrape of a movie.

BTW: Dude like you needs to go out this weekend and get a copy of WATCHMEN (the Graphic Novel, that is) and bask in it's comic book superheroes gone bad goodness. You will like it - you will tell a friend.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Right on Minion, well said! And on that subject, those 110+ reasons are among the funniest shit I have read regarding this assrape of a movie.

BTW: Dude like you needs to go out this weekend and get a copy of WATCHMEN (the Graphic Novel, that is) and bask in it's comic book superheroes gone bad goodness. You will like it - you will tell a friend.
    Glad you enjoyed the list, I certainly enjoyed creating the list ... as odd as that may sound.

Believe you me, the GN of Watchmen is on my to do list, but I've got a couple of other books to read before, which have been sat in line for a couple of months now, so once they're done I'll be on the lookout for the GN.

Ireland
    Agree for the most part on 'Watchmen' MZ. I watched it last night for the first time. But, for me, it'll be the last time too. I thought, overall, the film lacked any real umph. I never read the comic (oops graphc novel) before, so I was coming at it fresh. But, at the end I just felt let down.

Some parts were good, but as you say the "surprise" parts were no surprise. Comedyman being the father of token-superhero-girl was obvious from the start. And Oxymoron was wearing his "badguy" T-Shirt from the beginning as well.

Giving Nixon a ridiculous prosthethic nose, when everything else was played straight was a stupid idea too. I just couldn't help of thinking about Nixon in 'Futurama'. Henry Kissinger was good though.

For me and everyone else on the planet I s'pose, Rorschach was the driving force of the whole thing and the only reason I watched it til the end.

I don't know what it is about Snyder, but his films just leave me completely underwhelmed.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Sometimes I pop in dvds to listen to the commentary while working and the other day I thought "what the hell" and gave Dawn04 a try...

I had never noticed that there's a "Wooley's Diner" in the mall until the commentary pointed it out!

After reviewing it again, I suppose the reason I never noticed is because the super duper high contrast look of the film makes the sign appear as a large yellow blur.

And on a side note.....I now have a larger hate for snyder because of his constant use of the word "rockstar"....
    Last edited by bassman; 05-Aug-2009 at 04:48 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Sometimes I pop in dvds to listen to the commentary while working and the other day I thought "what the hell" and gave Dawn04 a try...

I had never noticed that there's a "Wooley's Diner" in the mall until the commentary pointed it out!

After reviewing it again, I suppose the reason I never noticed is because the super duper high contrast look of the film makes the sign appear as a large yellow blur.

And on a side note.....I now have a larger hate for snyder because of his constant use of the word "rockstar"....
    So as someone who has now listened to the Yawn04 commentary - what's it like? I'm a big Yawn04 hater, as you well know ... anything I'd enjoy hearing coming from you, without me having to listen to that garbage for two hours?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

You needed an excuse? I thought it was just inate.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    So as someone who has now listened to the Yawn04 commentary - what's it like? I'm a big Yawn04 hater, as you well know ... anything I'd enjoy hearing coming from you, without me having to listen to that garbage for two hours?
    It's not worth the time. It's just Snyder and one of the producers sucking each other off.

And Snyder often brags about his characters and their development.