Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Dawn re-make. A homage to Romero's film ?

Super Moderator

United States
    I recall the commentary being okay, but a lot of giving props to the actors (which I don't mind seeing in the commentary, as long as it's not for want of anything else to say), then some talk about the conditions of the various shoots (a blackout having taken place during a heat wave while shooting the parking lot sequence...or maybe it was the sewer sequence, iirc) etc.

I do recall a sense that Zack Snyder was not too 'on his game' when referencing the original Dawn, but I know that isn't of much surprise to people.

Now for good movie commentary, watch Platoon a second time around with 'Director's Commentary' on. That was great!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    because of his constant use of the word "rockstar"....

I noticed that too. Hilarious.

Aside from that tho, I thought the comentary was pretty par for the course as far as commentaries go.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Aside from that tho, I thought the comentary was pretty par for the course as far as commentaries go.
    Yeah...I guess it was average for most commentaries, but I just expected it to be more informative. And as Aces mentioned above....I can't recall Snyder ever mentioning the original film outside of pointing out the chopper, actors, and small references. Almost like he hadn't seen it and someone else told him to throw the references in there. It wouldn't surprise me if that were true.

Undisclosed
    Okay, I admit I liked it and it is my favorite. Alright I said it, go easy on me I am new here. I don't think of it as a horror movie like I think of Romero's work. It is an action movie and the reason I first liked was because of the use of the different Smith & Wesson revolvers throughout the movie. To the average viewer most guns look the same and they can't tell a fake from a real one. There were several models used some were common and some were more rare like the 3" model 66 Sarah Polley has at the end on the dock. Yes I am a gun collector and my collection focuses on S&W revolvers, and for me I didn't mind the lack of plot or the depths of the characters. I like Sarah Polley and thought she was good in it. It doesn't have the political or social issues of Romero's but it had enough to entertain. As far as realistic- You would be suprised how people act in crisis situations, I think several character's actions like Steve's, and CJ's and the girl that went after her dog would be considered stupid, but could be very real. Not everyone would look out for anyone else but number 1. Sheeple are oblivious to common sense. Our world is not full of heroes.
    "I want to be apple pie and baseball but when people look at me they see nachos and a cock-fight"

Undisclosed
    I enjoyed DOTD '04 and took it for what it was, a re-vamping of a classic. As far as remakes or 'reimagingings' go, it was quite good. I know purists will have issues with it and that's kool in the gang, but overall, it hit the right notes more often than not. I think Jake Webber's performance as an everyman caught up in extraordinary circumstances gave the film its heart and moral compass.

I haven't listened to the audio commentary and I'm a big fan of such, but I might skip this ,given the lackluster reviews of it here.

I have Watchmen setting unopened in my Netflix envelope, waiting for the right time to watch it interrupted. See if it grabs me.
    I have always looked upon decay as being just as wonderful and rich an expression of life as growth~
    Henry Miller

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    As i have said many times, the opinion that dawn 04' sucks is the majority opinion here only. Outside these forums it's quite the opposite. In fact I've never met anyone in person who DIDN'T like the film.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    I liked DoTD 04. I don't consider it a remake, it's just a zombie movie where people hide out in a mall. it's similar to the original DoTD in that aspect, but it's still a whole different movie to me. it just shows what a different group of people would do if the world turned to shit overnight haha it kinda lines up chronologically, to me, with Night more than Dawn, but I still liked it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Outside these forums it's quite the opposite. In fact I've never met anyone in person who DIDN'T like the film.
    You're just hanging out with the wrong people.

United States
    As i have said many times, the opinion that dawn 04' sucks is the majority opinion here only. Outside these forums it's quite the opposite. In fact I've never met anyone in person who DIDN'T like the film.
    My zombie lovin friends in the real world don't like DOTD '04. They think it's stupid and hackish. Which, parallels my thoughts, but I'm not nearly so harsh on it. I found some things to enjoy in it.

Just to put things into context, though, my zombie lovin friends also thought Land was stupid and Diary was a joke. They tend to be (like me) very focused on intelligent plot and realistic characters. The difference between them and me is that they won't even give the movies the time of day. They just discard them as not worth discussion. *shrugs*
    Last edited by Trin; 19-Aug-2009 at 01:57 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I once loaned both Dawn78 and 04 to a friend's father and after viewing them both he said that 78 was like a made-for-tv movie that would air on the women's channel and 04 was the best horror film he had ever seen.

I had no response. I just looked at him, grabbed the movies, and walked away. Made for tv? Women's channel??? And this is coming from a guy who is in his 50's - not a younger kid that can only watch films from the last 10 years.
    Last edited by bassman; 19-Aug-2009 at 02:31 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I know right. God forbid someone's opinion doesn't coincide with one's view's huh?

the nerve of some people.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I know right. God forbid someone's opinion doesn't coincide with one's view's huh?

the nerve of some people.
    I'm not sure if this is directed at me, but yeah that's true. But COME ON! A women's channel movie? That's ridiculous!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Hey. I just think it's kinda cool that he views it that way, because it can be pretty tough to judge a film you love from an outsider's point of view.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm not sure if this is directed at me, but yeah that's true. But COME ON! A women's channel movie? That's ridiculous!

Well, kind of. His opinion is his opinion.

Even though I love the film I can totally see where he's coming from. Let's be honest. The effects are awful by today's standards, the acting is subpar and it's slow paced.

The question is, why wasn't he asking you the same thing..

United States
    I once loaned both Dawn78 and 04 to a friend's father and after viewing them both he said that 78 was like a made-for-tv movie that would air on the women's channel and 04 was the best horror film he had ever seen.
    Hey, free speech is great and everyone can have an opinion and all that. But keep it within reason. Some people, like that guy, need to quietly disappear for the public good.