Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dawn re-make. A homage to Romero's film ?

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed

Lightbulb Dawn re-make. A homage to Romero's film ?

I finally succumbed to watching Snyder's remake of Dawn and have mixed views.I can't quite determine whether or not I like the film or not... As an action , kick zombie ass film I quite enjoyed the action.. but compared to Romero's its missing something..

Snyders film seems like a poor homage to Romero's film. Basing the plot on the original, and using character names for shops..

Could you call it a homage, or a re-invention of the zombie films for todays generation??

Would love to know you views.

S.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sfreeman View Post
    I finally succumbed to watching Snyder's remake of Dawn and have mixed views.I can't quite determine whether or not I like the film or not... As an action , kick zombie ass film I quite enjoyed the action.. but compared to Romero's its missing something..

Snyders film seems like a poor homage to Romero's film. Basing the plot on the original, and using character names for shops..

Could you call it a homage, or a re-invention of the zombie films for todays generation??

Would love to know you views.

S.

Imo, the first part of your answer is the way to go. It is a remake in name only and although there were nods to fans peppered throughout the film such as the Gaylen Ross store or several cameos by original cast members I wouldn't call it a homage to GAr's masterpiece by any means. The only thing it has in common with the original is zombies and a mall. (dead rising anyone?)

I will say this though. Don't feel guilty for liking it. I love the film and I'm in the minority here. (I just don't mind my friends here bashing me for it).

Also, don't think that liking this film is somehow a slap in the face to GAr or the original because for all intents and purposes they are two seperate entities.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    There are billions of threads around here that cover Dawn04, but I consider it an action film first. It's not much of a horror film, imo.

And as for the nods to Romero's film....they're in the film and were cool the first time around, but they don't help the fact that the film bares basically nothing in common with the original...

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I enjoy the film as well, another in the minority, but I know it can never replace the original. Just its own separate zombie film.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    its an allright popcorn actioney horror flick, but if they had called it something different it would have been seen in a much better light im sure.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I view it as an actionfilm and not a zombiefilm. Because zombiefilms are about slow, lumbering horror and survival. Not fast paced chases through sewers with a gun in each hand. At least, that's not what I want from a zombiefilm.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    I found Romero's film somewhat refreshing from the mainstream zombie films. I only first found it about a year ago when my friend said it was a must see. The zombies are the nuts ! And I think its the fact that everything is in excess that makes it fun to watch.
    Like when the police raid that flat at the beginning ..the blood just makes that scene for me.

I think Snyder's film had a bit more of a story to it tho, it dragged out a bit in the middle where everyone is just using the mall for entertainment, but I felt it was better with more people..

Romeros films are iconic cult films, but are all zombie films then cult if they follow his narrative ?!

s.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sfreeman View Post
    I think Snyder's film had a bit more of a story to it tho

I would have to strongly disagree with you on that one. Dawn04 doesn't even come close to having a story like the original. Dawn04 has a paper-thin plot that can be applied to any popular tv series. It's the same thing done over again. There was depth and meaning to Romero's story...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    its an allright popcorn actioney horror flick, but if they had called it something different it would have been seen in a much better light im sure.
    Of course it would have. And for some of us it's all too apparent that's what the problem was with the film. It's a shame how some people just can't get past a name.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    How do you mean depth and meaning?

Yes you were able to get to know the characters in Romero's film and follow their fight for survival. but with more characters I found it more interesting.

As for depth are you meaning Romero's dig at 'american consumption' at the time it was being made? I also found that rather amusing too as it is infact very true...

s

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Romero's film dealt with excess and isolation for the fab four. So I have to agree with others there was more of story/plot.

Broken Dreams
    Fantasy
    Darkness
    Isolation
    lonliness

All those present in Romero's Dawn, but not in Snyder's Dawn.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    -that and the social commentary on the rise of mass consumerism at the time. Dawn of the dead is a smartly written film with memorable characters and a harsh undertone that criticizes the general american lifestyle of hanging round a mall and wasting time.
    Dawn 04' was a mindless constant one liner fest. Enjoyable as a movie to go brain dead in front of, but wasn't remembered as anything other than a maybe rental a few months later and i very much doubt it will be broken down analytically and have essays and dissertations written about it 30 years after its release like romeros does.

Ones a classic piece of cinema, the others the same through an mtv filter, simple as that.

United States
    Theres nothing wrong with liking it, unless you start saying how much of a better film it is compared to GAR's, thinking fast zombies are better etc

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    For Runners are better. It provides some tense moments.

On a side note: I was just scanning the forum and noticed that there and numerous DAWN 04 discussions. For a movie that is generally disliked by a majority of HPotD members it gets more topic time than LAND, Diary, and even "Of the Dead."

It seems both DAWNs get more talk time than any other Dead film. So maybe there is something more to it than people are willing to accept. However, all the hate versus like talk only helps Universal in the long run because if someone hasn't caught the film yet, they might pick it up if the stumble across these threads, which also help exposure of the original films.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

UK
    It only gets plenty of "discussion" because it's two camps fighting over it, and indeed, Land is often involved in those threads, so Land gets just as much "chat" about it as Yawn04 does, with your theory Sir Deej.

I also think the "if it had been called something different" line is just generally dismissive of those who don't like or indeed hate Yawn04 - indeed, the remake has essentially piss-all to do with the original, but the point is, is that Yawn04 is simply a terrible movie ... and as such, below is 110 reasons why.

Anyway - I figure this is another chance, and in the pursuit of providing different views upon this ghastly remake, here's my "110 Reasons in 110 Minutes Why Yawn04 is Crap" list again.

Part One:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2008/03...yawn04-is.html

Part Two:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2008/03...hy-yawn04.html

I thought, clearly, that Yawn04 was an absolute stinker - and I've talked about why quite a lot in the past few years in the variety of threads Dj alluded to ... but regardless, considering the topic, I figured some might enjoy seeing my Bitch List for Yawn04 again, or possibly for the first time.

(I also did Bitch Lists for the Day Remake, Children of the Living Dead, and Zombie Nosh aka Flesheater, by the by).
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 16-Jul-2009 at 11:00 AM.