Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if they did find the cure in "DAY"?

United States

What if they did find the cure in "DAY"?

I guess I could list this in the "Romero Hypotheticals" thread I started, but the idea just seems so laughably funny to me that I couldn't help but post it for its own thread.

So yeah, what if say Logan/Fisher/Sarah did end up discovering a cure for the zombie plague? I always thought that would have been an interesting kick in the movie. Imagine having the cure but knowing that it's far too late for it to be beneficial to just about anyone -- being that about 90% (or more) of the U.S. is already wiped out.

I wonder how a creation of a cure could have influenced the actions of those characters. Rhodes couldn't exactly be running around barking that he wanted to see results if they DID give him the result of a cure (being that it was an F'ing war and not a field trip, after all --- I love that line), at the same time their mission there would have been completed -- so, then what?

It's a bit like winning the lottery and dying the next day (thanks, Alanis) the thought of "if" they had discovered the cure. How funny would that have been...

Anyway, I have a dark sense of humor like that, so it's a funny thought to me at least.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    Yeah, it would have been too late to be of any pratical value by that point. They could have secured their own area better, maybe been easier to go on supply runs, but thats about it.

ViP

United States
    I'm not a big fan of Day, but I always found it brilliant that Dr. Logan was on the brink of putting together a solution, but he was too mad to see it through, and Rhodes was too pissed to notice.

You see, Bub was pretty close to being fully trained. Bub, being a zombie, could mingle amongst and train other zombies. Pretty soon, you've got them all "doing tricks"! Before long, you've got a stealth army of undead, sneaking into and integrating into mass hordes of zombies, only to rip them all to shreds at the sound of a horn.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    What do you mean by "a cure" for the zombie plague? A two pronged solution was needed to fight the zombies; a vaccine that kept people from turning after they died, and a bio-weapon that actually destroyed the creatures. I doubt Dr. Logan could have developed either a vaccine or a zombie bio-weapon in the primitive lab he worked in.

Humanities only hope after losing access to advanced bio research labs would have been to send teams out to see if they could find some naturally occurring organism that attacked zombies in the wild, and spread this organism around to make it pervasive in the ecosystem. I imagine it would taken years, or even decades, for a zombie bio-weapon to disperse itself through the environment without aid of a functioning war machine to spread it around.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Slain View Post
    What do you mean by "a cure" for the zombie plague? A two pronged solution was needed to fight the zombies; a vaccine that kept people from turning after they died, and a bio-weapon that actually destroyed the creatures. I doubt Dr. Logan could have developed either a vaccine or a zombie bio-weapon in the primitive lab he worked in.
    Exactly. It depends what kind of "cure" you mean: something that just prevents people from becoming zombies, or something that actually reverses the process, wiping the existing zombies out.

United States
    I was thinking more along the lines of a vaccine to keep people from becoming infected as well as the ability to "not come back" as well. Even if it had happened that they were able to create some type of vaccine, it probably wouldn't have done too much good -- until the ghouls all died off (which within so many years they would eventually rot away).

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Like others said, depends on the cure. You couldn't reverse what happened with the undead since they are technically already dead; best bet would be some biochemical that would speed up their death without somehow not harming live humans if they consume the chemicals. Sort of like the chemicals that killed the rats off of Rat Island or a insecticides a plane drops on a field; you would focus on populated areas and have a plane go over and drop the chemicals on the zombies. As far as not coming back, that would be nice, but it seemed too late at the point the characters were in in Day to be really practical. The main focus first should be eradicating the zombies and then focus on repopulation.

Administrator

England
    I can imagine them creating an agent that nutralised the condition. I could see them in bio suits fumigating using hand held equipment, and the dead basically keeling over within seconds of exposure to the cloud...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I don't think a 'cure' would ever be the next step. The only benefit would be not turning into a zombie...but more than likely you'd still end up dead from being torn apart or blood loss. They military should have just nuked most of the country or the heavily infected areas.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    theyd still be less than a dozen people, isolated with no contact against a city full of zombies.

id say the odds were still bad leaning towards unfair.

United States
    The only "cure" i could think of that would work would be time itself. Southern Florida, or Florida in general is hot and humid. Give it a year or so and the zombies would just be falling apart and with such a small living population their numbers would dwindle soon enough. Heat, sun, humidity, parasites, bugs would all take their toll on the zombies, eventually they would just rot away and become more of a nuisance then anything. Wait it out, yes its tedious but gives you time to find some sort of innoculation to stop anyone from coming back as one.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    In the original Day of the Dead script they do come up with a "cure" of sorts, but things go to shit before it can be put into general usage. It's neither a bio-weapon or a vaccine (for a start, they're not sure that they're even dealing with a biological cause), instead they train and condition zombies en masse to carry weapons and dash out the brains of anyone and anything not wearing a special brightly-coloured shirt. The idea is that since wild zombies do not attack each other, hundreds of the tame ghouls can be dropped off on the mainland and spread out into the landscape, wandering among their undead brothers with impunity, smashing and blasting them, eventually, into extinction.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    In the original Day of the Dead script they do come up with a "cure" of sorts, but things go to shit before it can be put into general usage. It's neither a bio-weapon or a vaccine (for a start, they're not sure that they're even dealing with a biological cause), instead they train and condition zombies en masse to carry weapons and dash out the brains of anyone and anything not wearing a special brightly-coloured shirt. The idea is that since wild zombies do not attack each other, hundreds of the tame ghouls can be dropped off on the mainland and spread out into the landscape, wandering among their undead brothers with impunity, smashing and blasting them, eventually, into extinction.

One wonders how well that would have worked. Whether it's other zombies or sky flowers a point comes where they adapt.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    The best "cure" would be something that en masse deactivates the center of the brain that is stimulated.

Since these reanimated bodies have no fuel source (they don't nourish themselves and they don't absorb energy from any detectable source) it stands to reason that whatever stimulated the brain in the first place continues to stimulate them.

Let's say that it is radiation emanating from something in space. Find a way to shield them from the radiation and you win. Imagine if a zombie walks into your protected base (radiation protected) and immediately falls to the floor deactivated because they lose their connection with their power source. You could safely and easily destroy them by the thousands.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    One wonders how well that would have worked. Whether it's other zombies or sky flowers a point comes where they adapt.

But how are they gonna adapt to that? Learn to fight each other? Great! Mission accomplished.