Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mafia 2 - looks pretty damn cool to me...

Super Moderator

UK

Mafia 2 - looks pretty damn cool to me...

I never played the original Mafia, but I was aware of it - it just slipped me by I guess.

However, I've just been to ActionTrip and seen this 15 minutes of gameplay shown at E3, and damn ... me likey.

Cool to see a GTA-like game set in the 40s/50s too. I don't think GTA itself could pull off such an era (although a 70s set GTA would be awesome I think), but yeah man, I'm quite looking forward to more Mafia 2 videos and then it's release. I think I'll get myself a copy, looks like fun - although you can easily see the influence of GTA IV on it (in this video mainly in the cover system) - but I've read that they're going for a "gritter, more real" style in Mafia 2, so apparently that means less "mass destruction" ... which is a bit of a shame, unless they give you more breathing room for fun than what you got with GTA IV.

Regardless - looks like a lot of fun, anyone else been looking at it, or indeed played the first game?

As for the stiff animation - that's apparently getting fixed right now (good).

capncnut
    I just came in my pants so hard I even peed a little bit.

Loved, loved, LOVED Mafia. I know it's a bit of a controversial statement but I preferred it over GTA. While it was really basic and a lot easier to complete (you can tell by the shootouts in the above YouTube video that Mafia is quite simple to get to grips with), I got more out of the story and the whole authentic-ness of it all. The missions were really exciting, the characters were likeable and there was no having to f**k about doing a mission twenty times because the developers are utter bastards. It was fun, you progressed well (gamewise and storywise) and it was still a fair challenge.

After watching that video I am most definitely gonna get Mafia II, and now I feel like getting the original Mafia again for my Xbox. Good news!

Super Moderator

UK
    I'll have to check out some gameplay of the first one on YouTube to get a taste for it (I don't think I could be bothered playing a 7 year old game all the way through right now ) - but hell yeah, I'm really liking that video for Mafia 2 (and a couple of other 'pre-rendered' ones on the official website that provide background/flavours of the game itself) - I have to say I'm quite excited about it now.

Providing they sort out the animations (the stiffness was the only thing that put a smudge on an otherwise spiffing presentation), then I think Mafia 2 is gonna kick ass.

Super Moderator

United States
    Damn...you guys are sellin' this game hardcore. I may have to give it a shot, as I always wanted a GTA style game that got deeper into to the Mafia politics/culture etc.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Damn...you guys are sellin' this game hardcore. I may have to give it a shot, as I always wanted a GTA style game that got deeper into to the Mafia politics/culture etc.
    Well then I think this game is for you.

I must say, that 15 minutes of Mafia 2 has been swirling around my head these last couple of days, and well that's a good sign surely.

I'm getting silly excited about it now just thinking about it - looks hella fun.

United Kingdom
    It's weird, I've seen some gameplay vids of this and it does look very cool yet it's one of those upcoming games I keep forgetting about. Like every game I've bought on 360 it looks like something I'll no doubt enjoy a lot but can't get truly excited about.

United States
    It was an ok game but 4 years later....The Godfather video game came out for the 360 and blew it the hell out of the water...

I have to agree....Not too many games I'd be playing on a 2nd generation consoles right now....So many good games lined up to come out soon...

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    It was an ok game but 4 years later....The Godfather video game came out for the 360 and blew it the hell out of the water...
    Disagree wholeheartedly.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Disagree wholeheartedly.
    Just curious but I'd love to see your reasoning on disagreeing...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I played the original Mafia game, and it was nice and cozy somehow. Good game. Got stuck on the damn racing level, tho.

United States
    Targeting system blew..Pretty decent Storyline....but not so much of a replay value...

Undisclosed
    The demo just hit xbl...Downloading now. Should be on psn tomorrow.
    Check out my 3 min zombie short for the diary contest.
    Among the Dead
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=29079528

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by CooperWasRight View Post
    The demo just hit xbl...Downloading now. Should be on psn tomorrow.
    I was hoping to DL if for PC, but you can only do it via Steam apparently ... and the PC I game on from time-to-time isn't anywhere near my connection (it has Steam on it) ... but I also really dislike Steam. It's slow-as-fuck, awkward and buggy and you know, whatever happened to just downloading a fucking .exe file and transferring it to whatever computer you wanted via USB memory stick?!

I'll be getting the game for Xbox, but wanted to have a quick go on the PC demo ... not to be it seems ... ... fucking Steam.

United States
    The demo is really rough on 360. Lots of screen tearing and about 25fps to boot. Hopefully the PS3 and PC versions will run better.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    After the bar Red dead redemption set this game is going to have to be pretty fookin' awesome to impress me.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"