Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: George A. Romero's Survival of the Dead

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    the idea of people living 'normal' lives with their undead loved ones chained up in their houses is a kick ass idea in itself.
    Inspiration?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    He wants to do other projects more than anyone knows.
    I want to do something other than my job too. Like GAR, I do what people will pay me to do. I suspect he has a better chance of breaking out of his mold than I do. So while I do empathize... waaaaaaa...

I'm meh about the name. I don't see too many better ones offered up. I can't think of anything greatly better.

I'd take crappy name + great movie. That'd be a win.

Australia
    Does anyone else get a distinct DAY vibe from this? This is Romero writing last-minute, stream-of-conscious style - just like the final DAY revision. No pretenses, no gimmicks... just story. If this doesn't turn out to be the best of the new trilogy, I'll eat my hat.
    "28 Days Later came out after we started (Dawn 04). Our zombies were running before we knew what their zombies were." - Zack Snyder, LIAR.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CooperWasRight View Post
    People like to piss and moan.
    Too true.

Quote Originally Posted by Monrozombi View Post
    Diary got a bum wrap from the Weinsteins from the start, it just didn't get the push it should have.
    Dunno, but saying it didn't do well because of the Weinsteins doesn't address the idea that many hold that it was a poorly done film, which is at the core of the problem, in my opinion.

As far as the name for the new film (again, if this is it), well it could be better, but it could be a hell of a lot worse and is not all that bad to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Does anyone else get a distinct DAY vibe from this? This is Romero writing last-minute, stream-of-conscious style - just like the final DAY revision. No pretenses, no gimmicks... just story. If this doesn't turn out to be the best of the new trilogy, I'll eat my hat.
    I hope you're right, Griff. I do get a very hopeful vibe from the project, so we'll see.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 22-Jul-2009 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post

Dunno, but saying it didn't do well because of the Weinsteins doesn't address the idea that many hold that it was a poorly done film, which is at the core of the problem, in my opinion.

Imo, the film was incoherent and had many unescesary scenes in addition to the same things being repeated over and over. The line "if it didn't happen on camera then it's like it didn't happen", for example. I swear if i would've heard that line one more time I would have went apeshit!

Somewhere along the way his dead films stop becoming great films (regardless of genre Imo, GAr's dead films can stand with anything) and started becoming the type of thing you see regularly on the sci fi channel. And after all the back and forth we have on the subject no one has been able to pinpoint why.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post

"I hope you're right, I really do."
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Somewhere along the way his dead films stop becoming great films (regardless of genre Imo, GAr's dead films can stand with anything) and started becoming the type of thing you see regularly on the sci fi channel. And after all the back and forth we have on the subject no one has been able to pinpoint why.
    Wonders how all those worms fit in that tiny little can.

We all have our opinions. Mine is that GAR stopped telling stories and started telling commentaries. It used to be that the commentary was a reflection of the times as displayed by the characters and situation. Now the commentary is a lens filter coloring everything we see on screen. GAR goes back to crafting great characters and plausible situations and letting the commentary flow naturally and GAR movies become great again. Simple.

Undisclosed
    Finally, a title. Gotta say, I don't like it. Island of the Dead just seems like a no-brainer (no pun intended).

United States
    I get the feeling that George would probably like to title it Enough of the Dead

capncnut
    Not really bothered what it's called as long as it's good. There are a lot worse titles out there.

I get the feeling that George would probably like to title it Enough of the Dead
    And that would be fine with me. The big boys ought to give George a break and let him direct what he wants to, I would hate to see the man's talents relegated to a par zombie flick every two years.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    And that would be fine with me. The big boys ought to give George a break and let him direct what he wants to, I would hate to see the man's talents relegated to a par zombie flick every two years.

Unfortunately it looks like he's got himself stuck with that same job discription.

I've been saying for a very long time that I would LOVE to see a non-dead Romero film, but it looks like that window had been closed.

United States
    Forgive the naive question - I'm about a billion miles outside of the film making industry - but what's holding him back? I mean Land was not a stellar success but still he got to make Diary. Diary blew chunks and still he got to make Survival. If the man writes a killer script/screenplay (a non-Dead one) wouldn't the people he's working with now at least read it?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    Forgive the naive question - I'm about a billion miles outside of the film making industry - but what's holding him back? I mean Land was not a stellar success but still he got to make Diary. Diary blew chunks and still he got to make Survival. If the man writes a killer script/screenplay (a non-Dead one) wouldn't the people he's working with now at least read it?
    His name is George Romero and investors see him as a horror name and horror will sell. Getting something non-horror made has become nearly impossible for him because they don't want to take any risks. Romero does not make "commercial" films, he never has. He's not going to sit down and write Transformers or Austin Powers. On top of that, frankly, there is a snobbish mindset that alot of actors have regarding working with a name like Romero. It surprised me when Dennis Hopper and John Leguizamo worked on Land of the Dead. John Amplas has told me about how snobbish people in the Pittsburgh acting community have been to him because he was in the "Dead" movies. I told George that we, the fans, want to see him do something other than a new zombie film. Trust me when I tell you this, he wants the same. It's just not that easy.

United States
    I'm not in love with the title & think it's kind of bland but I still cannot wait to see this.

United States
    His name is George Romero and investors see him as a horror name and horror will sell. Getting something non-horror made has become nearly impossible for him because they don't want to take any risks. Romero does not make "commercial" films, he never has.
    Does GAR want to do non-horror or non-Dead? I can see the argument that he's not a proven commodity for non-horror. But I'd think he'd get some love for non-Dead horror at least. Which might lead to other ventures.

I can also understand them not wanting to take risks. He is non-commercial, which I can see in investors eyes can translate to non-profitable. I'm sure in the eyes of investors if they wanted to contribute to the arts they'd give to an art gallery. They want to make money.

Playing devil's advocate a bit, isn't Survival a risk given Diary's reception? I'm just curious why they wouldn't see his current Dead movie-making efforts as just as risky as a new venture. Moreso since the franchise has kinda run its course and then some.

I do trust you when you say it's not that easy. I'm not trying to imply it is. If it were we'd see him making other things. I'm just trying to get my mind arond the details of why. I appreciate your insight!!