Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: George A. Romero's Survival of the Dead

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    Do you guys think TIFF just made that title up?
    Some sites are still reporting that it's Diary of the Dead 2, so anything's possible....

What exactly are you looking for as for an "official announcement"?
    Usually with genre films like this there is some sort of official press release sent out. That's how I've seen it several times in the past, anyway.

Not trying to argue....just saying that it's possible the name could be wrong or change.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I was just pulling your chain, darth.

So yeah....Survival of the Dead. News would be nice...

Sorry if I came off that way. You know we're cool. I'm just at work so i don't have the time I would like in order to be tactfull. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    Wasn't a big deal,
    I'm just used to the knee-jerk reaction by some when you happen to bring up GAR's unfortunate addiction to prioritizing social commentary over plot. A lot of times when you make such a statement in support of a separate idea (which the main debate concerns) things get derailed into a separate debate about the commentary/plot issue.

Now, that's fine. Like you said, everyone is ABSOLUTELY entitled to their own opinion. My saying "keep it to yourself" was in no wise an attempt to abridge anyone's freedom to express any opinion they wish. I could have phrased it better I admit, since what I was trying to convey was my disinterest/unwillingness to participate in such a side debate again.

Freedom of expression is one of the few freedoms no one has come up with a way to screw up yet, and I cherish it.

Just thought I'd explain my statement.

That is much appreciated since you actually didn't have to explain yourself. I apologize if anything was taken badly.

Truce.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I'm not sure about Aces, but I don't know if I would call this official. Most likely this IS what the film is called, but it being listed as such on a schedule for a festival isn't exactly an official announcement...
    That's exactly where I was coming from on the topic. I had seen the earlier link, but--to be honest--just given it a glance and wasn't sure how in depth a case there was for this being a definite.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    He also lays it at the feet of his fans, saying people just want him to replicate Dawn of the Dead etc., but what it seems to me that many people want out of a 'Dead' movie is some semblance of a zombie film that is engaging by way of character development and frightful due to the circumstances the characters are put in.

...but what I think a lot of people who like zombie films don’t want to hear is how we don’t get his work, when it’s really just a divergence of tastes for most of us.
    These are some fantastic points AcesandEights!!

Umm,
    How would GAR even write a non-zombie movie? He's become so extreme with sacrificing plot depth to make room for social commentary (which is easier in gore-splash horror) that I just can't see that behavior panning out in any other drama.

Now, I'm just hoping he didn't make all the mistakes of Land... + Diary ...

I get a bad feeling when I find he's making an entire movie based on the weird behavior of the people in the apartment building at the beginning of Dawn, but hope it's much less gimmicky in practice than it appears atm.
    This was just a great post all-around Wyldwraith. I've only quoted the parts that I think bear repeating the most, but the entire post really was outstanding.

I mean, Survival COULD be good, but the synopsis scenario has a telltale indicator odor that GAR *might* go too far with the social commentary. Chaining zombies in houses as parodies of their former lives is interesting in a macabre way, but take the screenshot of the guy getting chewed on by a female zombie inside a house that's wearing lengthy chains on her arms...
    This definitely has the telltale stink of commentary over sanity.

In the end though it's another Of the Dead movie. Even a bad one is better than nothing (unless it's as bad or worse than Diary).
    This is a point I agree with 99%. The 1% is that I'd still take a "Dead" movie even if it were worse than Diary.

United States
    Not really a fan of the title though I can see it having more than one meaning and thus having a nice fit for the film. In my mind there were better options a number of which we had provided here on this very site.

/shrug

a good title does not equate to a good movie and vice versa so I will remain cautiously optimistic that the film itself will not disappoint.

Undisclosed
    I hope my reaction to this movie will be similar to this:

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    For some reason that gif reminds me of Tar Man and that *shudders*....movie...

United States
    no, your reaction would be better if it looked like this:

Being Attacked

Undisclosed

re:

"Playing devil's advocate a bit, isn't Survival a risk given Diary's reception? I'm just curious why they wouldn't see his current Dead movie-making efforts as just as risky as a new venture."

Thanks to foreign sales, DIARY was already in the black before it sold to a US distributor. I think they're following the same model with SURVIVAL, which proved to be pretty risk free. Its reception among some viewers doesn't matter: it was a profitable venture, and SURVIVAL likely will be too.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ_Sevin View Post
    "Playing devil's advocate a bit, isn't Survival a risk given Diary's reception? I'm just curious why they wouldn't see his current Dead movie-making efforts as just as risky as a new venture."

Thanks to foreign sales, DIARY was already in the black before it sold to a US distributor. I think they're following the same model with SURVIVAL, which proved to be pretty risk free. Its reception among some viewers doesn't matter: it was a profitable venture, and SURVIVAL likely will be too.

It's late in the game for him but maybe the old man has finally figured this business out.

With all the great work he has done and got raped for i would just like to see him make some money before he kicks it.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I'm glad he's doing limited releases and direct-to-DVDs. Somehow, it fits his style.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I'm glad he's doing limited releases and direct-to-DVDs. Somehow, it fits his style.

I agree and I bet ya dollars to doghnuts so is he. It's common knowledge that he's always preferred to work outside of studio influence. Also, I bet HE'S glad the he made it to live in an era where he really doesn't need a big studio to do what he loves and therefor has all the creative freedom he could ever want.

Undisclosed
    Check out my 3 min zombie short for the diary contest.
    Among the Dead
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=29079528

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CooperWasRight View Post

Good find dude!!

Atleast it's SOMETHING to wet our collective whistles.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    Interesting how they keep using music by Carpenter ("They Live" and "Escape from New York", in this instance). It seems they are really aiming for a western feel with this film. Promising.