Thread: monsters

United States

monsters

for all you old timers out there (like me) chillers is showing monsters til about 5 today. i rember watching this on t.v. their pretty good.

Undisclosed
    I remember Monsters showing a zombie episode with a Vietnam War setting. It used to come on back to back with Tales From the Darkside on Sunday evenings during the late 80's and early 90's.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    I remember Monsters showing a zombie episode with a Vietnam War setting. It used to come on back to back with Tales From the Darkside on Sunday evenings during the late 80's and early 90's.
    The mid to late eighties was a good time for monster fans. Not only did we have Tales From the Darkside, there was the anthology show Darkroom ( hosted by James Coburn ), Friday the 13th (The series, about haunted antiques, not Jason )Freddy's Nightmares (anthology series sometimes hosted by Kruger ) Poltergeist; The Legacy(Showtime ) about a special group dedicated to exploring the supernatural, not the spielberg trilogy ) and the first reinvention of Twilight Zone.
    There was also two Brit shows which I loved, Hammer House of Horrors(anthology series ) and Shewolf of London/Love and Curses (though technically it's listed as 1990)(about an american student who gets bit and comes under the care of her mythology professor )
    This later show had the best zombie episode of any time, in which a dark magic practitioner begins raising an army of hungry dead.

Wayne Z

United States
    Dont forget Amazing Stories and The new Outer Limits.

I used to love Monsters. . . "shhhhhh. . . it's starting."
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Dont forget Amazing Stories and The new Outer Limits.

I used to love Monsters. . . "shhhhhh. . . it's starting."
    Amazing Stories was right (1985 ) but the new Outer Limits wasn't until 1995.

The Spielberg produced series was abit too slick for my tastes, except for one with Jon Cryer where he uses a strange goo to bring centerfold girls out of magazines.

As for the 80's I forgot to mention Werewolf(87) where a student chases a werewolf. The only notable thing was that the lycanthrope (played by The Rifleman himself, Chuck Connors )had the same name as the vampire in the Night Stalker TV movie, Janos Skorzeny.
    There was another anthology series, not to be confused with the C. Thomas Howell movie of the same title, called The Hitcher (83 ) where a drifter encounters a variety of folk whose stories range from the bizarre to the tragic.
    There was also a really strange series called The Bates Motel, where proprietor, Bud Cort (of many a Robert Altman film, not the mention Harold and Maude )inherits the famous motel from Norman Bates. This is the setting for yet another anthology, mostly forgettable stories.

Wayne Z

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by wayzim View Post
    The Spielberg produced series was abit too slick for my tastes, except for one with Jon Cryer where he uses a strange goo to bring centerfold girls out of magazines.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by wayzim View Post
    That one was by far my favorite!!!! Loved it!! But until now I did not remember that that was Jon Cryer. Awesomeness.

Undisclosed
    Remeber when the goo leaked on the Fangoria at the end? It was a retelling of a comic book story in either Weird Science or Weird Fantasy. Pretty much the same story, except the guy received a package from the future the had dehydrated women in powder form, I think. And he had to mix a certain ratio with water or something with very similar results from the Amazing Stories version.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    Remeber when the goo leaked on the Fangoria at the end? It was a retelling of a comic book story in either Weird Science or Weird Fantasy. Pretty much the same story, except the guy received a package from the future the had dehydrated women in powder form, I think. And he had to mix a certain ratio with water or something with very similar results from the Amazing Stories version.
    And they used a similar idea for the Adam West Batman movie(66), where Penguin, Joker, Riddler & Cat Woman dehydrates several diplomats from the United World Council.

Wayne Z

United States
    He had to kiss the girl to make her permanent if I recall.

I remember thinking (with my pubescent brain working overtime) that the girl who ended up being just a top half, would be worth keeping. There was still much she could . . . .ahem. . . .do.