Thread: "Skinner" - NOW ONLINE...

Super Moderator

UK

Smile "Skinner" - NOW ONLINE...

Today I filmed the new DeadShed Productions short film - it's called "Skinner", and it's a noir-inspired horror piece about a forensic detective examining the scene of the latest victim of the titular psychopath.
    http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2009/08...hed-short.html

Go on, click the above link - you'll get to see a second preview image, plus more info about today's filming session.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 26-Aug-2009 at 12:47 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    UPDATE:

http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2009/08...shots-etc.html

A bit more info about the film, as well as a few pre-edit screen shots, and a random 7 seconds of video test footage.

Super Moderator

United States
    You had me at noir.

Sounds fun, MZ. I'll be following this one, to be sure.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Skinner is now online!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA0gD60edHI

5:22 in length, and can be viewed in HQ.

A forensic detective attends the latest in a long line of grisly, unsolved crime scenes - murders committed by the titular serial killer whose modus operandi remains so varied and vague that those tracking him have been unable to gain any traction on the case. It is here that we see a gruesomely festive tableau set aside for the detective - a tired-eyed, noir-like protagonist - replete with a note left at the scene; the product of a diseased mind that continues to goad those who seek to bring him to justice.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed

nicely done...

Dramatic and well written. Enjoyable little flick here.

Super Moderator

United States
    MZ, I'll give a look this evening! Thanks for the update on the project.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    MZ,

Let you know I watched it, and I will give me thoughts when I record this weekends WNWR show.

Gary
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    nice work nick. that was a damn interesting little film.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    MZ, Let you know I watched it, and I will give me thoughts when I record this weekends WNWR show.

Gary
    Cool!

I've still got the second half of show #2 to listen to, and so I definitely look forward to show #3.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    MZ, I'll give a look this evening! Thanks for the update on the project.
    Hope you enjoy it, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    nice work nick. that was a damn interesting little film.
    Glad you liked it, Mike.

Wahsleety - thanks for the kinds words, good sir.

capncnut
    It kind of dithered a little bit and I was expecting some kind of fright at the end but other than that, it was atmospheric, interesting and enjoyable. Good work, man.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    It kind of dithered a little bit and I was expecting some kind of fright at the end but other than that, it was atmospheric, interesting and enjoyable. Good work, man.
    Thanks for the feedback dude.

Although I don't get how a five minute short could "dither a little bit".

Glad you enjoyed it, good sir.

Next up from me - most likely a comedy short that's in the ballpark of relationships.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    very entertaining dude, probably not as good as your last, but it was a nice length, gave me an "opening of texas chainsaw" vibe from it and i dug it man.

one thing id recommend, not to do with this, just in general is that ive noticed you seem to stick with close people you know for your shorts, during my last year at university we were pointed in the direction of http://www.uk.castingcallpro.com/ theres a massive directory of actors and crewmen who ive found, if your straight up and say "look im in the summer between thing right now and want to make some shorts, i cant afford to pay anything but its something for my showreel and yours" and i still get a good 8 to 10 applications for each roll. Bizarrely a guy in my class got the voice actor for jarjar binks to come down form london to act in his for £30.
    Basically, i know plenty of people who are afriad to post for none paying jobs on sites like this but there are people trying to break into acting just as much as you want to break into filming and there worth a look, i garuantee theres people in your area, wherever it is, on there and you can get a big varied cast for more ambitious projects for little to, sometimes, no money.

sure its kinda chache'-ey but it gives everybody a leg up they need and you can be a bit more ambitious in your scripts with the freedom it can give you.

Undisclosed
    Well done. The title sequence was quite atmospheric, kinda reminded me of Se7en. I like the noir-ish aspect of the weary detective voice over coupled with the appropriately hard-boiled dialogue when he describes the previous crime scenes. The music was decidedly sinister and creepy. Bravo.
    I have always looked upon decay as being just as wonderful and rich an expression of life as growth~
    Henry Miller

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Daddy View Post
    Well done. The title sequence was quite atmospheric, kinda reminded me of Se7en. I like the noir-ish aspect of the weary detective voice over coupled with the appropriately hard-boiled dialogue when he describes the previous crime scenes. The music was decidedly sinister and creepy. Bravo.
    I was quite chuffed by a certain bit of the dialogue - the bit about the bodies "seeping down the plug hole" - because when I showed my folks the film they both cringed in disgust at that sentence.

Indeed, that idea was inspired by this seriously gross image I saw on the internet many years ago at high school - back when you're naive enough to not see any potential problem when a mate says "hey, you've gotta look at this!"

It was a great chance to really get graphic with the voice over, to really chew on the words of what the character would be saying.