Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Machete is back....

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Machete

"They f*cked with the wrong mexican."

Official press release:

Robert Rodriguez has cast Jessica Alba (SIN CITY), Robert De Niro, Michelle Rodriguez (FAST & FURIOUS), Lindsay Lohan (MEAN GIRLS), Cheech Marin (ONCE UPON A TIME IN MEXICO), Jeff Fahey ("Lost"), Don Johnson and Steven Seagal (UNDER SIEGE) alongside Danny Trejo in the highly anticipated spin-off action flick, MACHETE. The film is based on the "fake" trailer in Rodriguez’s 2007 GRINDHOUSE, featuring Trejo and Fahey reprising their original roles. MACHETE is being produced by Rodriguez who is the co-director with Ethan Maniquis, his long time editor. Rodriguez and Overnight Productions announced today that shooting is gearing up out of Troublemaker Studios in Austin, Texas.

MACHETE was originally a hard-edged trailer featured in GRINDHOUSE that became fanboy fodder since its first showing at the 2006 Comic-Con. "Machete had become my most requested movie and I never actually made it, so when the opportunity arose to answer the call with such an amazing cast, I jumped." said Rodriguez.

The feature version of the trailer finds Machete (Trejo) a renegade former Mexican Federale, roaming the streets of Texas after a shakedown from drug lord Torrez (Seagal). Reluctantly, Machete takes an offer from spin doctor Benz (Fahey) to assassinate McLaughlin (De Niro) a corrupt Senator. Double crossed and on the run Machete braves the odds with the help of Luz (Rodriguez), a saucy taco slinger, Padre (Marin) his “holy” brother, and April (Lohan) a socialite with a penchant for guns. All while being tracked by Sartana (Alba), a sexy ICE agent with a special interest in the blade slinger.

Rodriguez who also penned the script will serve triple duty as Producer with Elizabeth Avellán of Troublemaker Studios, and Rick Schwartz, Aaron Kaufman, and Iliana Nikolic of Overnight Productions, who will also provide the film's financing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8cCzltPD6Y&hl=en&fs=1&

Last edited by bassman; 07-Aug-2009 at 12:09 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah man, I heard they were doing the feature a few weeks back - I'm PROPERLY stoked for this, as Machete the trailer immediately looked like my kind of film. When I saw that trailer, I said "I wanna see that movie!" - and now I'll get that chance, woo!

Apparently Eli Roth is gonna make Thanksgiving into a feature ... interesting - hopefully, if he does do it, it'll be far more consistent and fun than the likes of the two Hostel movies (if you combined the two, and re-did it a bit, you could have had one excellent horror movie - but instead we got two very uneven and not that good movies).

Anyway - bring it the fuck on, I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO up for this movie!

Also - bring on Sin City 2, dagnammit, they've been teasing us with that possibility for ages now.

capncnut
    Not bad. Not bad at all.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Also - bring on Sin City 2, dagnammit, they've been teasing us with that possibility for ages now.
    Last I heard, Rodriguez is waiting on Frank Miller to finish up his new story that will tie into the second film...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm really starting to like the body of work he's putting together. Like tarentino his style is an aquired taste. You either love or hate his films.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    You either love or hate his films.

I don't know if I would go that far. He's actually made some very commercial films. The Spy Kids trilogy for instance.

But the style of his adult films? Yeah....it seems to be either love it or hate it. No in between..

Super Moderator

United States

All this....plus Jessica Alba?!

I hope Seagal is used to his funktasmal level of potential cheesiness and as good fodder for humor.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I don't know if I would go that far. He's actually made some very commercial films. The Spy Kids trilogy for instance.

But the style of his adult films? Yeah....it seems to be either love it or hate it. No in between..

Agreed. But doesn't virtually every filmaker "sell out" at some point.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    i remember watching grindhouse in the theaters and laughing my ass off during that fake trailer...and i said to myself, "damn, if they only made a real movie out of that"....and here we go. fuckin' a. i'll be there.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Hopefully this will be the start of a series of Grindhouse films. I would still love to see "Dont!". Just thinking about that trailer makes me laugh...

BTW....I can't believe nobody has brought up the fact that Don Johnson is in this. Don Johnson. Lindsey Lohan is strange, too. But Deniro? FUCK YEAH!
    Last edited by bassman; 07-Aug-2009 at 04:07 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I'm a bit mixed. The fake trailer looks excellent, but there are too many crappy, annoying actors in the list for me to be able to enjoy it to it's fullest. At least that's what I fear.

I really, really hate Michelle Rodriguez, and to be honest I think that drug dealer in the trailer looks and acts better than Stephen Seagal does. So I don't know. It will be a mixed bag.

Personally, I like films like these if they are sincere and aren't the least Hollywood. But come on. De Niro? Rodriguez? Alba? Lohan!? This film will be just like Grindhouse, methinks, a great concept ruined by the execution.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Damn. They're actually doing it.

For some reason I really didn't believe it until now that i've seen those pictures. Probably has something to do with the fact that Rodriguez has 1,000 projects at one time.

But mmmmm....Alba.
    Last edited by bassman; 19-Aug-2009 at 02:28 PM.

United States
    Savini is also going to appear in this.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    Savini is also going to appear in this.
    Yep. He's a Rodriguez regular...

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    How did I miss this thread last week?!

This is a movie I've been anticipating since my first viewing of Grindhouse in the theatre. However, I recall like 2 years ago reading an interview with Rodriguez where he talked about making Machete into a straight-to-video trilogy... it's safe to assume that's no longer his plan, considering the cast of characters he's got for the first (and possibly only) installment.