Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Survival" to play Fantastic Fest also

United States

"Survival" to play Fantastic Fest also

If you live in Austin, TX or nearby you will get the chance to check out Romero's latest...
    http://blog.fantasticfest.com/?p=444

capncnut
    I dont live anywhere near but thanks for the article, Lee. Nice read.

Super Moderator

UK
    Remember that sort of trailer that ran for just over a minute a while back that Voltage wasn't supposed to put out and then got taken down? Well it's officially back, although they don't seem to have spruced it up as it still says "in production" at the end, and the foley hasn't been done yet, nor does it appear to be coloured completely ... still though, it confirms my "so up for this"-edness.

http://fantasticfest.bside.com/2009/...tasticfest2009

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    "In 2007, Fantastic Fest was honored by the presence of one of the true masters of horror, George A. Romero. Now, two years later, we are thrilled to welcome back the undisputed champion of all things undead for his latest blood-drenched thrillride, SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD. When the idyllic retreat of Plum Island falls victim to the zombie plague, a new breed of clan war breaks out. On one side is the camp who want to exterminate all undead with a wickedly diverse array of brain-splattering headshots. On the other, devoted family members take the stance that “zombie-ism” is a disease, the undead have rights and they must be kept alive until a cure is found. Unable to simply “agree to disagree,” the two clans go to war and make their island microcosm a whole hell of a lot bloodier. An undead parallel to the tribal wars that are plaguing our own society today, SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD exposes the futility of such conflict and the need for tolerance of the beliefs of others. Plus it’s got zombie horses in it!"

Last edited by krakenslayer; 11-Aug-2009 at 07:22 PM.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    "In 2007, Fantastic Fest was honored by the presence of one of the true masters of horror, George A. Romero. Now, two years later, we are thrilled to welcome back the undisputed champion of all things undead for his latest blood-drenched thrillride, SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD. When the idyllic retreat of Plum Island falls victim to the zombie plague, a new breed of clan war breaks out. On one side is the camp who want to exterminate all undead with a wickedly diverse array of brain-splattering headshots. On the other, devoted family members take the stance that “zombie-ism” is a disease, the undead have rights and they must be kept alive until a cure is found. Unable to simply “agree to disagree,” the two clans go to war and make their island microcosm a whole hell of a lot bloodier. An undead parallel to the tribal wars that are plaguing our own society today, SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD exposes the futility of such conflict and the need for tolerance of the beliefs of others. Plus it’s got zombie horses in it!"

Yeah, I know.

I just got less excited about this film. But maybe it won't be as heavy handed and poorly handled as it sounds.

An undead parallel to the tribal wars that are plaguing our own society today, SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD exposes the futility of such conflict and the need for tolerance of the beliefs of others. Plus it’s got zombie horses in it!
    Damn, who was it who called it on the vega-pygmy angle?
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 11-Aug-2009 at 07:32 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    It's different, I'll give it that.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Imo, GAr is a master of taking the relevant issues of the day and then using the dead films as a vehicle for satire and social commentary.

He beat us in the head with the last one but he's a smart, talented man and I'm sure he'll learn from it and make a better film.

Let's not forget that, with the last 3 films, this is a new format for him so I totally expect him to have a learning curve.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Administrator

England
    On the other, devoted family members take the stance that “zombie-ism” is a disease, the undead have rights and they must be kept alive until a cure is found.
    This sounds daft and contrived... A cure for rotted, dead corpses? Hmm... Sounds poor!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    This sounds daft and contrived... A cure for rotted, dead corpses? Hmm... Sounds poor!

I could totally see that. But I doubt someone will come up with a cure in the movie. Rather, I picture that there's just these folks holding out hope that their loved ones can be helped. A good example from the series is Cooper and and his daughter in the remake.

Imo, the idea to portray people doing that isn't dumb it's the people themselves. Icould definitely see some doing that if the situation arose. GAr is just telling that side of the story.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Sounds pretty similar to the projects in Dawn, imo. Why were they keeping them caged? They're dead....pop em in the head and be done with it. Instead they chained, wrapped, and bagged them. Keeping them for dinner?

I found a news site today that has posted up that production trailer as if it's new. Man....time for an official trailer and name. Past time for it, actually...
    Last edited by bassman; 11-Aug-2009 at 08:47 PM.

United States
    There are those out there that think like some of the characters in "Survival". Some of them have LOTS of money and put it to use like this company for example...http://www.alcor.org/ Legendary baseball player Ted Williams is their most famous "client". I could easily see people behaving in real life, like they do in Romero's films.
    Oh yeah, almost forgot - "Survival of the Dead" is the official title. Jesus.
    Last edited by thxleo; 11-Aug-2009 at 09:13 PM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    Oh yeah, almost forgot - "Survival of the Dead" is the official title. Jesus.
    Did Nicotero or Romero tell you that while you were going down on them?

Show me a poster, trailer, or press release that says it's the title. Otherwise it might as well still be Diary 2.
    Last edited by bassman; 11-Aug-2009 at 11:59 PM.

capncnut
    Well, if Romero himself has decided to unveil the movie at TIFF as Survival Of The Dead then that's pretty much the official title.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Did Nicotero or Romero tell you that while you were going down on them?

Show me a poster, trailer, or press release that says it's the title. Otherwise it might as well still be Diary 2.

Really good retort bassman. It's always interesting reading your thought provoking posts.

I think you might be on to something though. Romero and Grunwald are probably just testing the waters on the title of "Survival", you know, to see what the fans think.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    I could totally see that. But I doubt someone will come up with a cure in the movie. Rather, I picture that there's just these folks holding out hope that their loved ones can be helped. A good example from the series is Cooper and and his daughter in the remake.

Imo, the idea to portray people doing that isn't dumb it's the people themselves. Icould definitely see some doing that if the situation arose. GAr is just telling that side of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Sounds pretty similar to the projects in Dawn, imo. Why were they keeping them caged? They're dead....pop em in the head and be done with it. Instead they chained, wrapped, and bagged them. Keeping them for dinner?

I found a news site today that has posted up that production trailer as if it's new. Man....time for an official trailer and name. Past time for it, actually...
    Indeed, I doubt there will actually be a cure in the movie - just people seeking one ... kinda like in that one movie ... what was it called? Damn, it's on the tip of my tongue ... ... ... oh yeah - DAY OF THE DEAD.

*puts on his Michael Winner mask*

Calm down, Neil.

Trial or not, I think they should have left it as "...of the Dead", it's cheeky, but also a little thoughtful, and weirdly original by not being 'something of the dead', if you get me.

Regardless, re-watching that "in production" clip assembly (even though it's unfinished footage) has gotten me hot & bothered for it again, yes siree.