Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what about the mountains

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed

what about the mountains

has anybody ever thought about going to the mountains during the outbreak? now i'm not talking about mt. everast but some mt range that you can hold up below the tree line and grow food or hunt and not freeze do death in the winter. granted this wouldn't do for everybody but people that can survive in the wild should consider this. think about it there won't be many people around dead or alive because its such tough terrain, some mt have lakes full of fish to eat and water to drink, and if you choose the right place it should be easy to defend. just something to consider.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    Yeah, but if you live in the wilderness you can't step outside your hideout whenever you want, and kill zombies for the hell of it like Billy Badass.

United States
    This could work if all of the following happen:

1. You have the gear to hunt/fish/plant crops/camp
    2. You already know exactly where these mountains that just happen to have a fish-filled lake nearby and fertile soil are
    3. You can fight your way there through the zombie hordes from wherever you are in the first place
    4. You can keep any zombies from following you there
    5. You can prevent any other survivors doing any of the above, and getting there first/taking it from you

That's a tall order.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    The mountains would be a deathtraps due to the high probability of forest fire.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    I think the mountainous highlands of my native Scotland would be an awesome place to take refuge (provided the entire population of the UK didn't decide to relocate there, and even then it would be a lot safer than the cities.

There are forests but also lots of wide open spaces of boggy, barren, hilly terrain that would be almost impossible for lumbering, scrambling stenches to traverse, but not terribly difficult for your average nimble adult human. The earth is just fertile enough to grow basic crops and veg (as our subsistence-farming ancestors did) and there are wild deer and other animals to hunt. Many parts of the highlands are incredibly remote, and zombies would be unlikely to wander there over time, or travel far if they do start out there, due to the unfavourable terrain. Forest fires are not a problem as the highlands have a very wet climate.

United States
    Are forest fires in moutainous terrain a big threat? I thought that was only in the region west of the Rockies. I know here in Michigan, a forest fire is almost unheard of.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    Are forest fires in moutainous terrain a big threat?
    They'll only be a real threat if you happen to get eaten while the rest of us run for the mountains. Because ONLY YOU can prevent forest fires.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    They'll only be a real threat if you happen to get eaten while the rest of us run for the mountains. Because ONLY YOU can prevent forest fires.

That was pretty good.

Norway
    The montains would provide refuge to people who have the skills to live off the land like hunters and fishermen. Most people would starve unfortunally.

Undisclosed
    You'd have to be be pretty self-sufficient to live in relative isolation of a mountain landscape. You'd be away from the major population centers,so your chances of survival may be increased, if you can withstand the elements and provide for the basics of survival.

I have a small place in the Catskill mountains and always do bit of dark fantasizing on how I'd fortify it and ride out a Zombie apocalypse.

Some people day dream of winning Lotto-this is what I do....
    I have always looked upon decay as being just as wonderful and rich an expression of life as growth~
    Henry Miller

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Daddy View Post

Some people day dream of winning Lotto-this is what I do....
    I think all of us here plan it out, man.

Super Moderator

United States
    Several people will have the same idea and that is one of the major issues. Also, while the relative peace and isolation of a mountain setting has a lot of pluses for someone already there, anyone who chooses to flee to such a place may have a rough time with the locals. Sure, it's a big wilderness and that may not be an issue, but these are some of the negatives that pop into my mind.

That said, I'd rather be in the Adirondacks than Westchester county or--god forbid--Midtown Manhattan (where I work ) when the shit hits the fan.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 13-Aug-2009 at 11:59 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    Damn! Talk about pressure! If the zombies get ME, then NO ONE will be able to prevent forest fires, as only I can do it. You'd all die in a blazing inferno that would spread over the entire surface of the planet! Even over the oceans!

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    That said, I'd rather be in the Adirondacks than Westchester county or--god forbid--Midtown Manhattan (where I work ) when the shit hits the fan.
    Yes, there is an advantage if you're someplace isolated when it all goes down. Youd have the relative luxuray of "seeing it coming", as opposed to being in the middle of it.

How many people would be that lucky thou?

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    if you think about it though only the strongest will trully be able to survive a world wide zombie outbreak and if it were to really happen we would pretty much have to stop thinking in the way we do now and more or less live like our ancestors did. greanted they didn't have zombies but looking back in history theres be alot of tribes of people that survived being in the mts. you have the high ground and can see threats coming from way off usually and not all mts are balls freezing cold in the winter. its true that u need certain skills to survive in the mts but u would need them anywhere if this were to happen...lets face it a stock broker from new york prolly aint gonna make it no matter where he is when it goes down but a true survivelist in the sticks could make it to the mts and live just fine i think.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I think all of us here plan it out, man.

I concur. Hey, best be prepared for anything!
    I have always looked upon decay as being just as wonderful and rich an expression of life as growth~
    Henry Miller