Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Darabont and "The Walking Dead"

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Please, please, please don't let some knobhead fuck this up.
    Two words for the season 1 cliffhanger:

Flying Zombies

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Not funny Aces. . . . . . . . . . I am really very excited about this series. And October is MUCH earlier than I expected to see the show!!!
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    And October is MUCH earlier than I expected to see the show!!!
    It is rather amazing, eh? I just hope that means the productions values aren't shaky due to a rush job

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Is there any word of what kind of budget they are working with?
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    So more good news. Not only is the pilot episode ready to go, but AMC has already green lit 6 episodes. Shooting starts in June in Atlanta, GA and it's to be aired during AMC's Fear Fest marathon during the month of October.

The best news of the day? Nicotero and KNB are handling the effects.

This is quickly shaping up to possibly be the best zombie film/show/whatever in recent years.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

England
    I've never read any of these GN's, they do have a good rep though.

Besides, I'm willing to give any zombie TV series a go, it's not like we have many to choose from is it?
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Two words for the season 1 cliffhanger:

Flying Zombies
    Careful now. MZ might ban you.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Careful now. MZ might ban you.

Undisclosed
    This sounds good. I like Darabont's work. I thought The Mist was very under rated.

Plus AMC is just an all around awesome station.
    Good call on the Mist. I loved the movie too. The very first time read the short stoty it would make a good movie. Too bad it almost took 20 years to make the movie
    Last edited by venom012; 01-Apr-2010 at 12:12 AM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yes sir. I always hear The Mist getting shit because of it's off beat ending. I personally love that. It's real.

And when I hear someone around here complain about it I just kinda give them the "Really?" look. Ever seen NOTLD?

Administrator

England
    Yes sir. I always hear The Mist getting shit because of it's off beat ending. I personally love that. It's real.

And when I hear someone around here complain about it I just kinda give them the "Really?" look. Ever seen NOTLD?
    The ending to me felt too contrived and therefore unreal... That was my problem with it...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    The ending to me felt too contrived and therefore unreal... That was my problem with it...
    *sigh*

The ending of The Mist was rather good I think. You don't see an ending like that very often. It's utterly brutal, and heck, it gives me chills just thinking about it.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    *sigh*

The ending of The Mist was rather good I think. You don't see an ending like that very often. It's utterly brutal, and heck, it gives me chills just thinking about it.
    I agree, you don't see an ending like that very often, and was very brutal, but it was handed out in such a fashion it fell a touch flat for me - ie: Seemed to contrived/false - They seemed too willing just to give up (ho hum... oh well shoot me!) ... And the fact they were one bullet short etc... Maybe it caught me on a bad day? I'll see how it goes down next time I watch it...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I agree, you don't see an ending like that very often, and was very brutal, but it was handed out in such a fashion it fell a touch flat for me - ie: Seemed to contrived/false - They seemed too willing just to give up (ho hum... oh well shoot me!) ... And the fact they were one bullet short etc... Maybe it caught me on a bad day? I'll see how it goes down next time I watch it...
    My reaction to the bullets thing was "line two people up so you kill two with one bullet" ... but that's me.

But I think viewed in the context of the whole movie, especially after that utterly insane woman who runs around preaching passages from the Bible to exact her violent revenge on those unlike her, it's not surprising that they decided to end it all. They have no idea they're about to be saved, so it makes the sudden arrival of the military all the more tragic - if only they'd waited a little bit longer, in other words - so after all they've been through and with, seemingly, no escape and that they'll, seemingly, be alien food soon, a bullet to the head is the only way out for them, with Thomas Jane's character sacrificing himself to be eaten (so he thinks) so they don't have to suffer - but tragically he suffers the worst fate of all.

Chilling ... it's got my skin goosebumping like nobody's business just thinking about it.

United States
    I agree, you don't see an ending like that very often, and was very brutal, but it was handed out in such a fashion it fell a touch flat for me - ie: Seemed to contrived/false - They seemed too willing just to give up (ho hum... oh well shoot me!) ... And the fact they were one bullet short etc... Maybe it caught me on a bad day?
    No, you didn't Neil, and I agree 100%.

That being said, I think Darabont is the only director who can properly transport Stephen King movies to the big screen (other then when SK himself is involved), however... while I think the bulk of The Mist was fantastic in it's movie form, that ending was such a pathetic way to end it. It was predictable (at least it was for me, because while I didn't know the actual ending before I saw it, I read it was different from the book and you could see what was going to happen a mile away) and it was just stupid. There's a thing called a "will to live" in everyone - and you will do whatever it takes to survive in any situation - that is, unless you're mentally unbalanced. People, for the most part, don't just "give up" regardless of how hopeless the situation seems. Just look at any zombie apocalypse movie survivors. Why aren't they just killing themselves off 5 minutes into the movie? It's a hopeless situation, so might as well, right?

Not to mention, i'm saddened that Stephen King actually signed off on this ending and publically stated he liked it.

FD got it all right except the last 3 minutes. I don't understand how he could be so faithful to SK's books in Shawshank & Green Mile then turn around and ruin a classic story like The Mist with an ending like that.