Thread: STALKER: Call of Pripyat (Fall 2009)...

Super Moderator

UK

STALKER: Call of Pripyat (Fall 2009)...

http://www.actiontrip.com/rei/commen...ml?id=082409_9

There's a five minute video in there.

More of the same it seems, but I liked the first two, so I'll get this one - but not straight away, I've got four Xbox360 games to play this Autumn.

... ... ... ... ...

Plus I still need my super-duper-PC fixed as it's still freezing up during gameplay. It was apparently fixed, and it seemed to be, but then it would freeze occasionally (i.e. played all of Crysis and STALKER 2 with no more than four or five freezes) ... now however, playing Fallout 3, I've had the computer freeze 10 times, and it's become more of a certainty again rather than an occasional annoyance.

Naturally, after paying so much for a computer, I want it to fucking work for everything I want to do with it.

So - any ideas as to what that computer issue might be? I'll be getting back in contact with the guy and seeking it to be properly fixed for good, as I'm still well within my first year of ownership and guarantee.

... ... ... ... ...

After all that, I'll get this new STALKER game, and no doubt would be able to get it for cheap too. I played the original game like 3 or 4 times, but have only played the second once through.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I still haven't beat the second game because it was so damn HARD! I'm gonna give it another go soon, tho... On Easy!

Also, the game seems... ordinary enough. Like the other STALKER games. But I hope it takes place AFTER Shadow of Chernobyl, and not before it.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 25-Aug-2009 at 11:44 AM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I still haven't beat the second game because it was so damn HARD! I'm gonna give it another go soon, tho... On Easy!

Also, the game seems... ordinary enough. Like the other STALKER games. But I hope it takes place AFTER Shadow of Chernobyl, and not before it.
    Or just get a trainer and cheat.

I used a trainer, and I could still see how ludicrously hard that game is. It's like you're a bullet magnet and every bloke with a gun in that game is a crack shot.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    eh, its kinda meh for me, loved the first two but honestly its probably just going to be more of the same. In roadside picnic the where multiple zones, it'd be kind of nice to see them do that and maybe have like a Chernobyl version of other places across the world, like manchester in resistance fall of man of example.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I don't know. Stalker wouldn't be Stalker if it wasn't about The Zone around Chernobyl...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    I don't know. Stalker wouldn't be Stalker if it wasn't about The Zone around Chernobyl...
    see, i think thats why people are still excited about this. It's not about association of the franchise with fun, excellent gameplay and stellar a.i. It's just appealing to the sort of semi-romantic fascination with the situation. Of course for fans of zombie films this is kind of a given, but at the same time that means you will probably settle for more of the same that doesn't rock the boat, purely for more of this ability to explore this alien yet familiar landscape in a safe environment. The trade off of course is more of the same, but nothing new is accepted.
    Much as i love games like this that indulge the post apocalyptic fantasy genre, my love of the medium comes first and i would rather see originality over repetition any day of the week. Sure i might not like it, and it "might not be stalker", but the original games still exist for you to go back to, and they do not detract from them, so whats the harm in something new being tried to expand on something you already like?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Uhm. Just because I still want it to be set inside Chernobyl Zone doesn't mean I'm not all for creativity and originality. That's something I think you constructed in your head.

But the core of STALKER isn't running around in just any zone and playing post-apocalyptic hero. It's running around in the Chernobyl zone.

I'm all for trying something new, infact, I demand it. And heck, there's plenty of places inside the Zone we haven't seen yet. And I hope we get to see them! I just find the idea of moving the entire setting somewhere else (like, outside Manchester, for instance) to be a really bad idea considering it's STALKER we're talking about here.

Super Moderator

UK
    Uhm. Just because I still want it to be set inside Chernobyl Zone doesn't mean I'm not all for creativity and originality. That's something I think you constructed in your head.

But the core of STALKER isn't running around in just any zone and playing post-apocalyptic hero. It's running around in the Chernobyl zone.

I'm all for trying something new, infact, I demand it. And heck, there's plenty of places inside the Zone we haven't seen yet. And I hope we get to see them! I just find the idea of moving the entire setting somewhere else (like, outside Manchester, for instance) to be a really bad idea considering it's STALKER we're talking about here.
    Damn straight, Ned!

STALKER simply wouldn't be STALKER if it wasn't in the Chernobyl area, and hell yeah, there's plenty more to explore there.

A little more influence from Roadside Picnic would be cool too, actually.

Administrator

England
    New graphical enhancements...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcNylGYq-v4
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    New graphical enhancements...
    I take it that's a mod for the game?

I rather dug Call of Pripyat, but I was very disappointed to see a deliberate downgrading of the graphics for DX9 users (such as me) ... Clear Sky looked quite spiffing on DX9, but CoP was decidedly less attractive in the graphical department on DX9, which was most disappointing. The game itself was rather good though, even if the Shadow of Chernobyl had the best overall plot (and included the eponymous reactor).

Administrator

England
    ^ Sorry! Yes, it is a mod (I believe)... Thought it was official...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ^ Sorry! Yes, it is a mod (I believe)... Thought it was official...
    Aye, saw on ActionTrip this morning that it is indeed a mod. It's a shame they hadn't done it a while ago, because I could have used it when I was playing through CoP a few months ago.

Super Moderator

United States
    Had some leftover creds on an Amazon gift certificate from the holidays and decided to pick up the collector's edition, finally. Anyone aware of any currently supported and fun mods, do let me know.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Had some leftover creds on an Amazon gift certificate from the holidays and decided to pick up the collector's edition, finally. Anyone aware of any currently supported and fun mods, do let me know.
    Don't know of any mods for the game - but I'm sure there are plenty out there in the usual places - however I did have a good time with this game whenever it was ... blimey, was it late 2010 that I was up in this game?! ... how time flies! Anyway, I got quite wrapped up in it, and while the first game was probably better because it was the first and had the strongest plot, this third game is definitely better than the second title in the series, and what's more it's the least buggy (I experienced very few bugs, and if any did crop up they were minor at most).