Thread: D-Day Front Page Acquired!

United States

Smile D-Day Front Page Acquired!

I was searching around Craiglist the other day and found this gem. I waited for two days for a response from the seller and I was about to assume that it had already been sold when he contacted me about it. I went by and picked it up yesterday and I could not be more happy with it.

For who are unsure what you are looking at, this is an actual front page from the Detroit Times from June 6th, 1944, otherwise known as D-Day. I am extremely proud to own an item like this because of the weight that this day carries for so many people around the world. It is such a significant piece of history and I am sure there are plenty of people here that can appreciate it.

What I also like about it is that it's a paper from my home town. I wasn't born in Detroit, but the area where I grew up and reside reside would have both received this newspaper on that day. This item would have somewhat less meaning if it came from another state or another unfamiliar area.

It's very interesting to read the front page articles on here, and I can send anyone a blown up picture of this if they care to read them. Ironically, in the bottom left corner area of the front page there is a small box that informs the reader to save this paper because of it's presumed historical significance. Well, it's been saved alright, and I couldn't be more happy to have it.

United States
    nice find, man.

Super Moderator

United States
    Wow, that's incredible!

Quote Originally Posted by 3pidemiC View Post
    It's very interesting to read the front page articles on here, and I can send anyone a blown up picture of this if they care to read them.
    Dude, could you? It'd be much appreciated. Let me know if it's really not a problem for you to do so and I'll PM you my email address.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United Kingdom
    Same here! Liam and I would be interested and I'm sure my nan would too (she was a teenager during WWII).
    La freak, c'est chic!

.:Twitter:.:Facebook:.:Blogspot:.

United States
    Ok, I'll post a higher-res picture soon.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    After all the junk I've seen people spend their hard earned money on finally, something worth having. Not for monetary value but for it's historical significance.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Undisclosed
    I collected newspapers and magazines for a while now...I have my grandmothers original newspaper...2 actually of the day Kennedy was shot (JFK) as well as several articles of the missions to the moon. My oldest are a collection of Radio Guides from the 1930s. That is a nice find and I would love to read some of the articles from it. I love looking at the old ads...buy a corvette for $3000. Stuff like that. Its great fun and a super look at history.

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy911sc View Post
    I love looking at the old ads...buy a corvette for $3000. Stuff like that. Its great fun and a super look at history.
    Indeed. My nan bought her first house for £8000!
    La freak, c'est chic!

.:Twitter:.:Facebook:.:Blogspot:.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Was just reading the text there where it says: "Prime Minister Churchill told Commons: "The commanders report that everything is going according to plan - and what a plan!"

Haha, no modern politician would have the balls to talk like that. Good old Churchill!

United States
    Here is the higher-res shot of the paper.

(Sorry about the flash glare)

Enjoy!

....damn photobucket resized it......and so did flikr...
    Last edited by 3pidemiC; 29-Aug-2009 at 01:18 PM.