Thread: Laid-off workers eye the abyss

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Post Laid-off workers eye the abyss

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32555445...khart_project/

The full article has more personal stories. Just trying to inform as many people as possible about the actual state of things in this country. No matter where you fall in the political spectrum these are issues that affect every American.

It's just crazy the state that this country is in right now. No wonder so many are scared spitless. I know people like this for christ's sake. The politicians don't know sqaut. We're at ground zero and we live this stuff every day. It would be nice to see less partisan bickering and more results.

Can I get an AMEN!?!

Positive signs, but few jobs

Despite some recent signs that the unemployment situation is improving, the odds of actually getting a new job are grim.

Federal statistics indicate that there were more than five times as many people seeking jobs in the United States in June as there were positions available. In especially hard-hit areas like Elkhart, where the unemployment rate is 16.7 percent — compared to 9.4 percent nationwide — the odds against job seekers are even tougher.

Vicki McGlinsey, who was laid off last year from a printing company that served the RV industry, says she was one of 10 people who made the final round of interviews for a security position offered at Wal-Mart in July. The manager who broke the news that she wouldn’t get the job told her they received more than 250 applications.

“I myself have put in about 100 applications and résumés since February … and have had three interview opportunities, including this one,” she says. “It boggles my mind when I hear people say we just need to try harder.”

To aid people like McGlinsey, political pressure is building for the passage of yet another extension of unemployment benefits, at least for the jobless in states hardest hit by the recession.

In early August, just before Congress left for a break, Rep. Jim McDermott, D-Wash., introduced a bill that would provide another 13 weeks of federally funded unemployment benefits to workers in states with a three-month jobless rate over 9.5 percent — likely encompassing about 20 states.

The bill is expected to be taken up when Congress returns after Labor Day.

Opponents of an extension argue that increasing the benefit duration will simply prolong unemployment, allowing workers to get “rusty,” possibly unemployable. Those in favor maintain that the help is essential to these individuals until the employment picture improves and that the jobless funds help stimulate the economy.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    I live in Goshen, were about 5 to 10 minutes south of Elkhart and share a good portion of the trailer industry.

Things are quite bad around here, quite bad indeed.
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Opponents of an extension argue that increasing the benefit duration will simply prolong unemployment, allowing workers to get “rusty,” possibly unemployable.
    Ugggh.

"Sorry skilled laborer and former member of the workforce, time for you to stop looking for a job and turn tricks to put food on the table."

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Ugggh.

"Sorry skilled laborer and former member of the workforce, time for you to stop looking for a job and turn tricks to put food on the table."
    If you were from Elkhart, I'd wager my left ear you would bee seeing things a bit differently.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    If you were from Elkhart, I'd wager my left ear you would bee seeing things a bit differently.
    Seems like you misunderstood the meaning behind what I wrote and why I put it in quotes, as if to say that is the general sentiment behind the idea of cutting people's unemployment off in the middle of an economic crisis.

Or do you think I was advocating out of work electrician's from the local union dropping trow in the backseat for a quickie or unemployed TIG welders giving oral to put food on the table?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Oh, my bad.

Undisclosed
    The problem as I see it is the economy is starting to recover but the jobs are not. This is how the corporate earnings are showing such positive results. A company can improve earnings 2 different ways...increase revenue (which they have not) or reduce costs (fire people, which they have done). It will all come back around and we will start seeing the stock market turn negative again due to the fact that the cops cut costs but have no way of increasing revenue besides increasing pricing, but with no one left to buy anything...good luck!

England
    A lot of firms have taken the opportunity to clean house & streamline everything while reducing costs in the recession, which means there isnt going to be as many "non jobs" floating around like there was in the boom years (eg where I work 2 administrators are now doing the work that 8 used to do, but are still coping more or less ok), its been a sharp lesson for a lot of firms who have never weathered an economic downturn before about how to save costs! But its not good for the millions of people who now cant get a job, although it may also be a lesson to a lot of arrogant people that not everyone gets their dream job & any work no matter how crap is better than none at all! (im talking about all these uni graduates who would rather live off the state than accept a job they think they are too good for)