Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halloween 2

Undisclosed

Halloween 2

Just saw it. Curious to see what everyone thought.

I like Rob Zombie - loved Devil's Rejects.

Sadly, Did not like his Halloween. Thought this was worse. Brad Dourif was great though - really great actor for horror films.

I don't want to say too much.

Anyone else?

pJ
    "See you in L.A., Marvin." - Jack Walsh

Undisclosed
    Here's one review:

Anyone uninitiated with Rob Zombie's brand of grainy hillbilly brutality would be better served by eating a bran muffin and steering clear of this particular horror film, because it's a compliment to call it a piece of crap.

I think I'll pass.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    I really struggle to give a shit about Rob Zombie's movies. Or his music for that matter. I guess he just appeals to a different segment of the horror fanbase than where I am. The whole rockabilly, whacked-out, trippy thing just isn't "cool" in my eyes.

House of 1000 Corpses remains to this day the only film during which I have actually fallen asleep.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 29-Aug-2009 at 02:29 AM.

Undisclosed
    So far, among horror film fans, true horror film fans, this film, for such a short period of time, is already reviled. I have not seen it and can only attest to my utter disappoint with the first RZ Halloween. After reading so many negative reviews, the impetus to see this in a theater is waning. If I go, it will be a matinee with my friends Jack and Coke.
    I have always looked upon decay as being just as wonderful and rich an expression of life as growth~
    Henry Miller

Undisclosed
    i dug it. but theres only so much originality you can put into a remake because it already has its fans and its history. so, kudos to rob for doing what he wanted to do with this film and the character of michael myers. i prefer the classics, but compared to most horror these days, i really loive robs work.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    House of 1000 Corpses remains to this day the only film during which I have actually fallen asleep.
    Ahhh, it's not so bad. I could name a hundred turds worse than 1000 Corpses.

I'll see H2 anyway but I got to admit that the hype ain't looking very good.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post

I'll see H2 anyway but I got to admit that the hype ain't looking very good.
    I'm kinda sad to see the amount of apparent dislike for it, as from all the various clips I've seen, H2 looks right up my street.

Halloween 2007 wasn't as good as the original, no way, but it was a different style of Halloween altogether for the most part - and done by someone with a love and respect for the film itself - so yeah, I like that movie, and I think I'll like H2 even more as Rob goes off in his own direction.

And I'll still go and see his version of The Blob ... ... but I really wanna see T-Rex get made.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    I once dropped off a friend visiting from another country at the theater to see House of 1000 Corpses. It was during the day and I had to work.

When I picked him up, he was so visibly pissed off at having seen the film that I have avoided it to this day. I should have kept that in mind before seeing The Devil's Rejects.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    I once dropped off a friend visiting from another country at the theater to see House of 1000 Corpses. It was during the day and I had to work.

When I picked him up, he was so visibly pissed off at having seen the film that I have avoided it to this day. I should have kept that in mind before seeing The Devil's Rejects.
    Really? I thought TDR was a quantum leap ahead of 1K Corpses. In fact, it was one of the best horror films I've seen in theaters.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    here is my deal with rob zombie: i don't like his style. i don't care for the way he shoots, for the way he uses light nor the way he uses color. visually his movies are about as appealing to me as, oh i don't know, watching open heart surgery. it has nothing to do with the stories, characters, etc. i simply cannot stand his visual style.
    Last edited by Mike70; 31-Aug-2009 at 03:06 PM.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Undisclosed
    My biggest issue with RZ's Halloween 2 is that it wasn't scary...at all....there was no suspense. I don't mind films being brutal, but at least don't make me just sit around bored during the lulls - where there should be suspense.

Side note - I saw the Comic-Con panel a few years ago when RZ and cast where there for Halloween. Zombie made this whole speech about how his film wasn't just a girl being chased around by a guy with a knife.

And then he played the clip. It was the scene where Meyers is chasing Laurie around the old house.

I do realize that the film isn't JUST that and he choose to play this clip - but everyone viewing was laughing at it.

Devil's Rejects still stands as a great film - and if it's the only good movie he ever makes, that's still pretty cool.

pJ
    Last edited by PJoseph; 31-Aug-2009 at 10:40 PM.
    "See you in L.A., Marvin." - Jack Walsh

United States
    been debating on seeing this, but had a busy weekend...probably wait and catch it at matinee prices.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Purge View Post
    Really? I thought TDR was a quantum leap ahead of 1K Corpses. In fact, it was one of the best horror films I've seen in theaters.
    It probably is/was, but I still see it as a very poor film. There is nothing truly horrific or frightening about The Devil's Rejects, it's simply unbridled sadism. Unfortunately, none of the actors (nor the director) is able to pull off sadism very well, in particular Sheri Moon Zombie. Having grown up with 70s and early 80s grindhouse, The Devil's Rejects simply comes across as a whole lot of noise.

Now if you want to see real true-to-life horror and sadism, just watch a film like Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.

Norway
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    - and done by someone with a love and respect for the film itself -
    What?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Trencher View Post
    What?
    Yeah, RZ has said numerous times himself how much he loves the original movie ... he's also said he watched it a bunch of times before doing the remake, but that he now thinks of doing that as a mistake as it got his head into a rut he had to keep thinking around.