Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Movement to ban text messaging while behind the wheel gathers steam

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Post Movement to ban text messaging while behind the wheel gathers steam

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32584570...h_and_gadgets/

It seems like a good idea to me. Don't get me wrong. I'm not in favor of encroachment on our liberties but texting while driving is endangering the lives of other people. If you look at mandatory seatbelt law however, that should be a person's own choice. If they splatter their brains all over the windshield, it's a tragedy but, it's ultimately just them we're talking about and a person should have full say over what happens to them individually.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    I wonder how people survived without screwing around with a phone every second of every day.

Seriously, does anyone need to be typing messages when driving down the road? It absolutely can NOT wait?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    I wonder how people survived without screwing around with a phone every second of every day.

Seriously, does anyone need to be typing messages when driving down the road? It absolutely can NOT wait?

Exactly the way I feel. Human beings are so spoiled nowdays. I was speaking the other day that if someone wanted to bring about armegeddon a nuclear war wouldn't be the practical way to go. All they would have to do is disable power grids. Without electricity you would have the kind of chaos that we saw in New Orleans after Katrina except everywhere.

I had another heated conversation with this dude about how he didn't really need his cell phone. He was adamant that he did. Like food and water kind of adamant. True story.

All I know is that not all that long ago in the late 90's virtually no one had a cell phone and we a seemed to get along just fine.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    In the UK it's actually illegal to use a phone at all whilst driving, unless it's plugged into a handsfree kit. It ties up one hand and is considered an unnecessary distraction, so if the cops see you use one you can be pulled over and fined. Lots of people do it anyway, but it's becoming less and less socially acceptable to do.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    In the UK it's actually illegal to use a phone at all whilst driving, unless it's plugged into a handsfree kit. It ties up one hand and is considered an unnecessary distraction, so if the cops see you use one you can be pulled over and fined. Lots of people do it anyway, but it's becoming less and less socially acceptable to do.

You mean, you guys have common sense over there !?!

Whoodathunkit?

You see, in this country people take their rights to the extreme. Take gun owners and their zealotry with the second amendment right to bear arms in order to keep a well regulated militia.

They don't want any restrictions on gun owner's rights at all. And that might work well in rural areas where the populations are relatively low but in more heavily populated areas it's a warzone. I'm all for your right to bear arms but are you for my right to feel safe in my own neighborhood and for my children to be able to play without fear of a shootout?

Common Sense.

Last edited by darth los; 03-Sep-2009 at 05:47 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Damn straight - how it should be.

I can't be doing with twats yakking on their mobiles while driving, nor stuck-up-themselves 'soccer mom' types who are doing anything and everything whilst driving, except for paying attention to the fucking road.

And I can't stand speeders either, they get right on my tits these days, especially people who speed in school zones - utter wankers.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    If this passes then it won't be long until they'll have to pass a law banning women from doing their make up in the rear view mirror. That's just as dangerous.

It's only right. Let's see the outcry for that.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    If this passes then it won't be long until they'll have to pass a law banning women from doing their make up in the rear view mirror. That's just as dangerous.

There should just be a law set up so that any citizen can pull any such dumb twat out of their car and demand their license be revoked.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    There should just be a law set up so that any citizen can pull any such dumb twat out of their car and demand their license be revoked.
    but then every person with a nissan skyline or a subaru will be forbidden to ride there compensating mettalo-phallus around carparks at 11pm!!

United States
    a kid my brother went to school with died in a car crash, and they found his phone and he was apparently in the middle of texting his gf....while that is pretty sad, i still find humor in this:

laws against texting and driving are long overdue.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post

I might be wrong, but I think that's technically illegal here too. It comes under the same legal status as driving while texting or holding a phone to your ear - they call it Driving Without Due Care and Attention, or something like that.

capncnut
    And eating.

The most dangerous thing to have in a car? A GPS unit.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

But MZ, without dumb twats no one would ever get laid dude.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Anyone that tries to drive and do something that takes as much concentration as texting does(to me, anyway), needs to get a good swift kick in the balls.

That's just a stupid ass move. Just as dangerous as drunk driving, imo.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I once tried to sign all the Gulag Execution list confirmations while driving once, and I nearly hit the Premier! Hah, we had a good laugh about it afterwards, but still. Very serious.