Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: zombies and climate

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed

zombies and climate

wouldnt the climate were a zombie is at effect it? for example wouldnt a zed in death valley walking around in 120 degree temps have its brain fried from the heat or zeds in places on earth that get very very cold just freeze solid? what about those in jungles that would be wet 90% of the time, wouldnt that speed up the decaying process because jungles can eat flesh off people that are still alive. also if theyre in say the sahara desert wouldnt they be sand blasted to nothing over a short period of time?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 View Post
    wouldnt the climate were a zombie is at effect it? for example wouldnt a zed in death valley walking around in 120 degree temps have its brain fried from the heat or zeds in places on earth that get very very cold just freeze solid? what about those in jungles that would be wet 90% of the time, wouldnt that speed up the decaying process because jungles can eat flesh off people that are still alive. also if theyre in say the sahara desert wouldnt they be sand blasted to nothing over a short period of time?

I definitely think you're on to something there.

My only question would be: We all know that for reasons unknown ghouls decay at a far slower rate than a normal corpse would. I wonder if climate change would affect it all that much.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    I definitely think you're on to something there.

My only question would be: We all know that for reasons unknown ghouls decay at a far slower rate than a normal corpse would. I wonder if climate change would affect it all that much.
    I don't know about climate (but I think it would indeed play a factor), but the elements would certainly play a factor in making zombies become less functional. Think about it, a zombie in a desert would be a dried out husk and sandblasted. Nothing would save it from sand and wind!
    Same with winter/cold climates. If it's cold enough, they will freeze until they can't move anymore. Or, get buried deep enough in snow, to where they will remain trapped until it thaws.

United Kingdom
    Well, IMO, if a zombie was walking through death valley, it's not exactly going to die from lack of water. I would think the heat would speed up the decaying of it's flesh (or rather cooking of it), but it would just carry on. It wouldn't be affected by fatigue, heatstroke things like that. In freezing conditions, however, I'd think that they'd freeze solid eventually. agree with 04 about the jungle and the desert, but I think a zombie would eventually get out of the jungle/desert.
    Kill 'em All

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Of War View Post
    but I think a zombie would eventually get out of the jungle/desert.
    Unless it falls into quicksand.

Also, wouldn't prolonged exposure to desert conditions cause the zed to mummify? I mean as opposed to decomposing faster.
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Of War View Post
    Well, IMO, if a zombie was walking through death valley, it's not exactly going to die from lack of water. I would think the heat would speed up the decaying of it's flesh (or rather cooking of it), but it would just carry on. It wouldn't be affected by fatigue, heatstroke things like that. In freezing conditions, however, I'd think that they'd freeze solid eventually. agree with 04 about the jungle and the desert, but I think a zombie would eventually get out of the jungle/desert.
    I think it probably would, you know. Their chemistry is obviously different to us, but they're made of basically the same stuff and clearly their bodies are still controlled by the brain via nervous impulses. The zombie's cells (not just the skin and fat, but muscle, nerve and eventually even brain tissue) would slowly dry out and become unusable.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 04-Sep-2009 at 10:37 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    In marshes and swamps they'd probably decompose fairly quickly, given the large amount of insects and bacteria that feed on flesh.

United States
    I doubt there'd be any effect.

#1. They get up and walk. Well, that right there tells you they'e immune to normal logic.

#2. They can tell the difference between a live person and another walking corpse, even if they're visually identical. That tells you they're immune to normal logic.

#3. see #1 and #2.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    Yeah, but unless you're Bear Grylls from Man vs. Wild you probably wouldn't outlast the zombies infesting settled areas by hiding out in some desolate wilderness with only the limited amount of supplies you can carry with you. While the undead may rot or freeze solid, the living are subject to diseases like malaria, scurvy, and need to food and water to survive. While built up area have supplies, they would also shelter the undead, and protect them to some degree from the elements. I wouldn't count on any area with structures NOT being zombie free--no matter how many years elapse after a zombie outbreak.

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    In marshes and swamps they'd probably decompose fairly quickly, given the large amount of insects and bacteria that feed on flesh.
    Live flesh, or dead zombie flesh?
    Kill 'em All

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost of war View Post
    live flesh, or dead zombie flesh?
    hooman fleeeesh!!!

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    something else to consider with the elements is what about different predators out there. since they are dead wouldnt buzzards eat on some of them or aligators, bears, maybe wolves, or dogs or even wild hogs. also with them just wondering around they would prolly come into contact with animals that have babies and will protect them at all cost because the animals dont know theyre dead. animal attacks on them prolly wont kill them but it would prolly break some bones and make it hard to attack the living

United States
    The thought of buzzards and the like has never been addressed in the movies, I always assumed due to lack of budget and/or interest. I can't believe that zombies would be totally immune to scavengers and even insects.

A grouping of zombies would be a ringing dinner bell for scavengers! I can just imagine a zombie being dragged off by jackals, or a literal swarm of flies buzzing over a maggot infested zombie horde. I don't believe for a minute that scavengers would be afraid of zombies, or be particularly disturbed by their prey moving, if they have the proper scent of death and decay on them.

In a manner of speaking, a zombie would have it's own predators to be wary of...but they aren't smart enough to realize or even care about it.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm pretty sure we've discussed this on here before.

I just thought of something... since zombies already have animal-like instincts, perhaps they'd act as geese and migrate during climate changes?

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    they might migrate but i thought flocked to something important to them like the mall in dawn 78, but they could anything's possible. wouldnt alot of zombies be taken out by natural disasters like floods, tornados, and wildfires?