Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Robocop (film) reboot

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Just re-watched the 1987 original for the first time in years, and it still holds up. I got the newly remastered Blu-Ray (and in Director's Cut form - i.e. with the bits cut out for the MPAA re-instated) and it looks pretty darn good.
    How much/what was cut out? (ie: What extra footage is there in your versions?)
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    /\

Yeh, what he said.

I'm thinking of having a punt on this.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I have it on Blu-Ray as well. I've only seen the Blu-Ray version once, but from what I remember, it's usually just a matter of shots being extended. I remember the scene where that Executive gets blasted to bits by ED-209 in the initial demonstration to be somewhat lengthier, for instance.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    /\

Yeh, what he said.

I'm thinking of having a punt on this.
    This seems to explain what the extra footage is. Basically a few seconds here and there simply showing more gruesome detail. Sound epic

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=3609994
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah, I was gonna put up the link to Movie Censorship (an excellent resource for comparing versions and cuts of films).

Yeah, some additions, as well as some alternative versions of sequences (e.g. a close shot rather than a wide shot). The tweaks in the DC just makes the violent parts even more brutal than they were before - especially Murphy's death. The additions there are quite shocking - and there's an excellent use of a 'puppet' version of Peter Weller in one of the DC shots where we see him grimacing in agony and then dolly around to the back of his head and see the bullet exit in a single shot. It's an excellent 'puppet' that's very convincing, and I think the audio really sells it too.

It might not seen like much, but when you see the film again, it does add a further impact to already astonishing scenes. The guy in the conference room gets utterly riddled, so seeing that additional shot is like a crazy extra gut punch.

If you're thinking about getting the newly remastered director's cut Blu-Ray, then definitely hop on it. Previous releases weren't that well received (due to iffy PQ and no extras), but with the remake coming out they've finally pimped out a proper release of it this time around. Recommended.

Administrator

England
    Do me a favour, and link to your DVD at Play.com for example?

Is it this one - http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/5...rlrefer=search

None of them seem to mention "Director's Cut".
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Honest trailer for the original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGemfKLV1JA

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Do me a favour, and link to your DVD at Play.com for example?

Is it this one - http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/5...rlrefer=search

None of them seem to mention "Director's Cut".
    Yeah that's the one. Note "Newly Remastered Edition" in the title, as well as "Director's Cut" on the front cover beneath the title. You can also get it cheaper on Amazon. Also note that I didn't bother with the steelbook (more money for just different packaging with inferior artwork - i.e. RoboCop looks like a giant machine in a tiny city ), get the normal case Blu-Ray.

Awesome "Honest Trailer" too.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 30-Jan-2014 at 01:21 PM.

United States
    holy crap, i forgot all about those cap-firing toys. i used to have one of those! if i could find another one on ebay and the price was right.......(wait for it).......

i'd buy that for a dollar!!!$$$$

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    holy crap, i forgot all about those cap-firing toys. i used to have one of those! if i could find another one on ebay and the price was right.......(wait for it).......

i'd buy that for a dollar!!!$$$$
    Oh Bixby...

Super Moderator

UK
    Gave the special features on the disc a spin last night - good stuff.

Mostly from previous DVD releases, but for folks like me who haven't seen them yet, it's another reason to purchase the BR. Plenty of informative, good-length featurettes, and there's an interesting Q&A. Some details cross over from one special feature to another, so certain bits of info you've already heard, but plenty of new stuff in each.

Although, I do have to say, whoever was operating the camera for the Q&A portion really needs to sort their camera handling abilities out - at the beginning the camera person didn't know who most of the panellists were, so you're watching Ed Neumeier instead of Michael Miner, who is the one answering a question about the script, and their re-framing is so jerky and hap-hazard that it rather pissed me off. The content of the Q&A was good and you could hear everything fine, it was just the camera operation for it was shoddy. I've done my fair share of single camera, one-take set ups of stage events (i.e. no other camera to cut away to in the edit), and you've got to be very precise and calm with your zoom so that you're not making a mess in-between the settled bits ... so on a technical level the Q&A pissed me off, but everything else about it was good (and very nice to see Weller and Verhoeven are such good friends in spite of the difficulties of the production).

Lots of interesting asides throughout all the extras - I've still got the commentary to do, and there'll no doubt be some cross-over of facts & info on that too, but I listened to a bit of it and it sounded quite good (Verhoeven, Neumeier, and producer Davison, IIRC).

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    This seems to explain what the extra footage is. Basically a few seconds here and there simply showing more gruesome detail. Sound epic

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=3609994

Last edited by shootemindehead; 31-Jan-2014 at 03:37 PM. Reason: .
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

United States
    I'll be honest, not the biggest Robocop fan, though I admit it was well done and enjoyable enough, however I totally forgot how badass and well done he looked on the movie poster.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    It's a shame they didn't use that poster for the new release's cover. That poster hasn't been used on a release since the VHS ... and it is a kick arse poster.

*edit*

To be fair though, the remake will absolutely blow RoboCop 3 right out of the water. I liked it as a kid, but looking at the trailer and some reviews/info about it now and I think it looks bloody awful. RoboCop 2 has some problems, and it doesn't have the same x-factor as the first (and misses a few nuances here and there), but it was a pretty decent flick generally, even though it was inferior to the first movie.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 31-Jan-2014 at 06:42 PM.

Administrator

England
    Reviews seem to suggest a fairly solid if average scifi action flick - http://filmnomenon2.blogspot.sg/2014...ocop-2014.html
    -Carl Sagan