Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Robocop (film) reboot

Super Moderator

UK

IGN give it a 6.9/10 ... although their ratings are always rather inflated, so for IGN, 6.9 is somewhat middling.

What I take from their review is: Lots of flash, seems to be overtly political (the original, for me at least, was a bit more subtle in its politics - indeed, members of both the Left and Right both love it and hate it) ... "po faced", so they've taken themselves too seriously, it would seem ... and the aspect of how Detroit seems like an okay place to live in this version of RoboCop making his necessity seem a bit pointless strikes a firm "hmmm" chord with me. In the original movie it does seem practically lawless - a really tough and dirty place (well, the area in which Murphy is transferred to, that is), made all the worse when the stretched-thin police force go on strike in the flick.

One thing that I also thought - if the ED-209 can't get a lock onto RoboCop hiding beneath it, why continue firing? That's just a waste of ammo - but in the clip in this review it clearly shows the ED-209 standing above RoboCop firing constantly and wasting a shedload of ammo. That's rather daft.

Again, I'll see it eventually. Some ideas do seem like good territory to tread for a remake, but it does sound like they've sapped a lot of the fun out ... far more focus on the family element (which was minimal in the original, but the loss of his family life did inspire his revenge on Boddicker & Co), but perhaps at the expense of action fun? We shall see.

Super Moderator

UK
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbehua5MhO8

Mark Kermode's review.

Essentially 'a lot less bad than you're expecting' ... still essentially redundant ... but consider they've gone and done this remake, it's "perfectly alright". So he seemed to enjoy it having gone in with rock bottom expectations, even if it wasn't a necessary film to make.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Mark Kermode's review.

Essentially 'a lot less bad than you're expecting' ... still essentially redundant ... but consider they've gone and done this remake, it's "perfectly alright". So he seemed to enjoy it having gone in with rock bottom expectations, even if it wasn't a necessary film to make.
    Sounds like a ringing endorsement.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Saw it yesterday. I kind of enjoyed it. Better than expected. The main plot was about RoboCop, rather than some bad guy he had to stop. Felt nice, as you got kinda invested in the character.

United States
    going to see this tonight. haven't been to the movies in a while and while i really enjoy the original film, i don't really think of it as casablanca or anything, and i've been hearing/reading good things about the remake, so i figured what the hell.

will post impressions later.

- - - Updated - - -

well, it was a rather good time. i went in with neutral expectations and left pretty satisfied. while i don't think it was good enough to warrant a blu ray purchase to add to the home library, i'd definitely watch it again once it hits the premium channels on tv.

the 2014 film spends more time focusing on the human aspect of robocop, which i thought was appropriate. the main actors do well in their roles, the cgi is pretty impressive, and the action is much more impressive given that this iteration of robocop is more agile and dynamic. some parts were a bit too video-gamey, but that's what they are giving their perceived target audience. there were some elements of humor, including a bit towards the end with samuel l jackson that had me almost in tears.

overall, i thought it was a decent flick, quite different from the original, and as long as you don't have a stick up your ass about the original, worth the price of admission.

Administrator

England
    ^^

Thanks for the review. I'll catch this one at home I think!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I watched the other RoboCop remake just now ... "Our RoboCop Remake" ... go over to Vimeo and you can search for it there.

It's a fan-made homage/spoof of the entire movie scene-by-scene, put together by a different group of filmmakers for each scene, with a wide range in styles and productions ... from simple animation, to low budget live action, to puppets, to trippy re-edits, to full-blown and very impressive productions. The quality does change from scene-to-scene, but overall it's a really entertaining fan-made project - I laughed out loud numerous times.

Check it out, it's worth seeing.

United States
    @neil:

you're quite welcome, sir. i wanted to add a couple of things, mainly a couple of things i liked as well as something i didn't.

first, i think that the film almost works better this time around with the abundance of technology in our society today. robocop wirelessly taps into traffic cameras, home security systems, security monitors at stores, etc. to get a real-time view of suspects and crimes happening around the city, which is pretty cool. i also found the bits concerning the use of robotics and drones overseas to be relevant and interesting, and like i said, the film does a much better job of examining the man in the suit, both emotionally as well as physically (which is disturbing to see, but almost fascinating at the same time). there's also a blink-and-you'll miss it appearance of the robocop suit from the original films.

things that didn't sit well with me were some of the musical choices used, the bits that couldn't help but utilize the dumb-ass shaky-cam, and even though it's supposed to be set in the late 2020's, the technology felt a bit over-the-top as far as floating touchscreen computers, clear cell phones, and almost everybody's office has clear walls....i mean, how's a guy supposed to take a nap or pick his nose when every single bloke in the building can look in on him all day long? and while i'm at it, i'm not a fan of that goofy-looking jay baruchel kid, who has minor role as a marketing executive that i felt was poorly played.

overall, though, it's definitely worth seeing, i'd say that the ign review of 6.9/10 is pretty accurate.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    I just saw the film and have to ask:

Who else went numb when they saw Murphy disassembled to reveal he is just two sacks of organs supporting a hand and half a head?

United States
    numb as in:

1) holy shit, what a horrible revelation for our titular character!!

or

2) my gosh, how daft is this film?

for me, it was more like option 1....

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Option 1 for me too.
    I was shocked and that scene cast a gloom on the rest of the film for me.
    The trailer lead me to believe he was in a exoskeleton.

Super Moderator

United States
    Hmmm, you guys are making me want to check this film out!

Thanks for the reviews!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    @rottedfreak:

did you enjoy the rest of the film though? or did that part bum you out so much that you didn't like the rest of it?

and yeah, doug, it's worth watching. like i said before, i'd definitely sit through it again.

United States
    It really wasn't bad, but I didn't get into it until he started to get it on with the two legged robot thangies. I will say he walked so loud I'm guessing any kind of stealth was out of the question...
    I enjoyed it, though I can't remember much about the original to compare.
    Either way, it was $3. Can't beat that.

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    I really loved the remake. Hope there's gonna be a sequel