Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Robocop (film) reboot

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Not that I have anything against Fassbender, but I get the feeling he's going to end up being the new Christian Bale. Seemingly appearing in EVERY new film...

Super Moderator

United States
    Q: New Robocop film?

A: I'd not buy that for a dollar.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Chasing Prey

Canada
    there should be certain characters that should only be played by americans. robocop and captain america are two i can think of off hand.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I don't see why some people think certain characters have to be American actors, honestly. At the end of the day, what does it matter? As long as they perform with an American accent, what's the difference really? Sure, I don't want to see Superman in any accent that isnt American because it's an American character, but it doesn't mean he can't use the correct accent and be perfect for the part. Christian Bale has done it for an entire record-breaking trilogy(two out of three so far, anyway) of films based on an American-made Superhero.

Now that I think about it....it seems most of the A-list talented actors these days aren't from America...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I don't see why some people think certain characters have to be American actors, honestly. At the end of the day, what does it matter? As long as they perform with an American accent, what's the difference really? Sure, I don't want to see Superman in any accent that isnt American because it's an American character, but it doesn't mean he can't use the correct accent and be perfect for the part. Christian Bale has done it for an entire record-breaking trilogy(two out of three so far, anyway) of films based on an American-made Superhero.

Now that I think about it....it seems most of the A-list talented actors these days aren't from America...
    i couldn't agree more. i don't care where an actor is from as long as the american accident he is doing is good. it is even better if they can put some regionality in it. that seems to be the problem with most non-american actors when they use an american accent - they usually don't sound like they are from any particular place. i don't expect them to twang away like people from my part of the country or have a completely smooth southern accent, just a bit of something in the accent that sounds a bit regional.
    Last edited by Mike70; 26-Sep-2011 at 09:03 PM. Reason: d
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Chasing Prey

Canada

are u serious dude? christian bale, sam worthington and colin farell are among the most popular actors and all three are not that great at hiding their accent when they're supposed to be playing americans. did i mention robocop is from detroit?

and if a director says the guy's gotta be american, then yea you might wanna just let him have his way. could u imagine if duke from GI joe woulda been played by someone with an accent that snuck through every line?

the best tho? the guy that played heavy duty in GI joe and the preacher in faster. and hugh jackman. spot on accents.
    Last edited by acealive1; 26-Sep-2011 at 09:13 PM. Reason: ffsff

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Never had a problem with Bale's accent. His accent is perfect when he's speaking in a normal tone(American Psycho, Public Enemies), but when he starts trying to sound like a tough guy(TDK, Terminator), it starts to get a bit off. Worthington i've only seen in a few things, but thought he did fine. Ferrell? All that comes to mind right now is Miami Vice, and it was okay when he wasnt trying the tough guy routine.

Either way, there will always be good and bad, but saying that a certain character just HAS to be played by an american isn't necessary, imo. Whoever is right for the role deserves the role.

Anyone across the pond have opinions on Americans putting on English accents? Robert Downey Junior in Sherlock? Johnny Depp in From Hell? Scarlet Johansen in The Prestige? That one seemed horrible to me..
    Last edited by bassman; 26-Sep-2011 at 10:40 PM. Reason: .

Ireland
    Anyone across the pond have opinions on Americans putting on English accents? Robert Downey Junior in Sherlock? Johnny Depp in From Hell? Scarlet Johansen in The Prestige? That one seemed horrible to me.
    I'm not English, but awful, swful and awful.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I'm not English, but awful, swful and awful.
    Blimey! Hey Guv, don't be so 'arsh. I fnk some ov us Yanks can speak da Baked Bean's English like right proper gent'men. You know? Nuff said, yeah?

(Thank you Cockney Rhyming Slang translatortron.)

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Ireland
    Bladdy 'ell! E's gor it! Would you adam and eve it!
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Never had a problem with Bale's accent. His accent is perfect when he's speaking in a normal tone(American Psycho, Public Enemies), but when he starts trying to sound like a tough guy(TDK, Terminator), it starts to get a bit off. Worthington i've only seen in a few things, but thought he did fine. Ferrell? All that comes to mind right now is Miami Vice, and it was okay when he wasnt trying the tough guy routine.

Either way, there will always be good and bad, but saying that a certain character just HAS to be played by an american isn't necessary, imo. Whoever is right for the role deserves the role.

Anyone across the pond have opinions on Americans putting on English accents? Robert Downey Junior in Sherlock? Johnny Depp in From Hell? Scarlet Johansen in The Prestige? That one seemed horrible to me..

watch terminator salvation when blair and marcus are by the fire and he says "im not a good guy"

i saw it in theaters and they over dubbed it for home video because his accent fell straight through
    Last edited by acealive1; 27-Sep-2011 at 08:53 PM. Reason: huyfd

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Blimey! Hey Guv, don't be so 'arsh. I fnk some ov us Yanks can speak da Baked Bean's English like right proper gent'men. You know? Nuff said, yeah?

(Thank you Cockney Rhyming Slang translatortron.)

-- -------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Bladdy 'ell! E's gor it! Would you adam and eve it!
    this is almost like reading a chapter in a dicken's novel.
    Last edited by Mike70; 27-Sep-2011 at 09:20 PM. Reason: p
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    Dont know about how it is doing on the box office but most of the critiques has written good about it. I will surely watch it

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Bit of a weird one with the accents. I can stomach a fake american like Christian Bale (who also does interviews in his american accent. Let's not forget he's not even English - he's from bloody wales!) a lot more than I can stomach an american doing a british accent. Natalie Portman in V For Vendetta was horrible.

I can't help but remember this fake sort of sitcom thing that was a carbon copy of Saved By the Bell but it was set in a college dorm or something. There was this "english" character who was basically this airheaded blonde actress doing her best to take the piss out of the accent - making herself sound like a cross between the Queen and a 16th century peasant. Horrible. Since then I kinda keep thinking about that and it's distracting.

I couldn't understand a bloody word Robert Downey Jnr said in Sherlock Holmes. Not a word. Johnny Depp can do a pretty good accent though, but its really his performances that elevate him beyond worrying about that stuff.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.