Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Robocop (film) reboot

Undisclosed
    Sure, the original still holds up to this day. Even if this remake turns out to be bad, Verhoeven's film is still there to enjoy. No question there.
    What bugs me though is the lack of originality in Hollywood these past years. There are way too many remakes and reimagenings and what not, and very little risk taking or fresh new ideas. Remember the first Robocop was actually pretty ballsy for an eighties action flick with themes and social critique absent amongst its peers of the time. To Verhoeven's credit the movie, though far from subtle, was pretty smart and political. That and the ultra violence is what makes the original special. If they can manage to capture the same spirit, this new one might turn out to be ok.
    If it turns out a PG 13, dumb action movie with a GI joe-style robo? Consider me waving my cane at the silver screen screaming abuse
    Last edited by krisvds; 18-Sep-2012 at 02:59 PM. Reason: .

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    What about the Star Trek reboot? That was kick ass.

I see no need to remake Robocop, but damn from the sound of it I just walked into an elderly home with a bunch of easily aggrivated gentlemen shaking their cane's at the television.
    I didn't watch the Star Trek reboot. I was never a big geek for that show anyway, but if I was to watch a Star Trek film, it would be one of the originals. For me, the rewarding thing about sequels is that the accumulated canon of the existing films gives them a richer, deeper sense of background and it's interesting to explore the history and/or future of the characters and/or universe that we have become familiar with. A reboot is what happens when lazy or egocentric writers want to make sequels without having to worry about difficult stuff like continuity and consistency.

As far as I am concerned, rebooting any franchise, however good the resulting films and however many homages they crowbar in, is an insulting and sloppy practice, and I am against it on principle.

I refuse to watch these films not because I think they take away from the existence of the originals, but because every ticket bought for them is a vote in favour of Hollywood's continued preoccupation with regurgitating old movies, as long as we keep going to see them, they will keep making them, and original content will continue to be sidelined. Fuck that.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 18-Sep-2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: .

United States
    What about the Star Trek reboot? That was kick ass.
    Mmmmmmm.....

No. No it did not.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 18-Sep-2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: not only no, but "hell no"

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    The general consensus was that the Star Trek reboot was pretty damn good. It got praise from critics and fans alike. Heck, I'm one of them.

It seems to me there's a lot of hating just for the sake of it going around here. There's simply no way that the Robocop costume is that bad. But no matter how it looked, most would have hated on it because of this preconceived notion that everything about this film will suck. Which it MAY WELL DO, but maybe we should wait until we see the film until we make that call?

United States
    It seems to me there's a lot of hating just for the sake of it going around here.
    If you say so. But I've been on record as saying the Star Trek film was abysmal since I saw it. And personally I was hoping Robocop was going to be good, but from what I've seen & heard so far, I have my doubts. That Robo suit is ugly as sin.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    The general consensus was that the Star Trek reboot was pretty damn good. It got praise from critics and fans alike. Heck, I'm one of them.

It seems to me there's a lot of hating just for the sake of it going around here. There's simply no way that the Robocop costume is that bad. But no matter how it looked, most would have hated on it because of this preconceived notion that everything about this film will suck. Which it MAY WELL DO, but maybe we should wait until we see the film until we make that call?
    As for me, I'm not prejudiced against the movie because of the suit. I don't care about the suit. I'm prejudiced against it because it is a reboot. Around fifty percent of the potential entertainment value in any franchise film, for me, is invested in the sense of continuity and development of character and universe. A reboot is stripped of those things, it has the virtue of neither originality NOR familiarity, it is HALF a franchise movie. :P Even if the film itself is a perfect 10, without the sense of continuity the overall viewing experience can be no better than a five out of ten. Reboot = instant mediocrity, in my book.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 18-Sep-2012 at 11:49 PM. Reason: .

UK
    I think the problem with the new suit is that it's not very distinctive. Redesigning it is fine but it lacks an identity - you could drop it into a Nolan Bat-flick and you'd wouldn't be able to tell it apart from any other piece of body armour, it just looks pretty generic. That could be the plan, I've no idea what the design ethos behind it is and it may work out fine within the context of the film. But a reboot needs to find it's own identity to stand it a part from the original movie and a 'new' iconic suit would certainly help - it should still scream 'Robocop' at you though, and not 'Background Tactical Shock-Trooper #1'.

Super Moderator

United States
    The general consensus was that the Star Trek reboot was pretty damn good. It got praise from critics and fans alike.
    I agree, it was pretty goddamn cool, whether you acknowledge that a majority of the old Star Trek films were garbage or not (which most were, though WoK was, is and always will be awesome). I give the reboot 5 out of 5 katanas! I'd actually would have given it 4 1/2, but everyone knows you can't break a katana in two.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    That new Robocop suit looks like a rip off of Nomads suit in Crysis if he got covered in soot.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    That new Robocop suit looks like a rip off of Nomads suit in Crysis if he got covered in soot.
    Now you mention it... yes!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Now you mention it... yes!
    I was going to say the same thing!

It certainly doesn't look like a policeman either - the original suit looked more like a policeman with the use of that blue steel colour, and I preferred the bulkier look to it as well, as it made it look like the technology wasn't super sleek; they were pushing the boundaries of what was possible in their world. So yeah - not a fan of the new suit, and I've read that many of the director's ideas have been tossed out and that it's not exactly an enjoyable set to be around. The director then responded to the rumours with a statement that wasn't particularly glowing ... one of those gritted-teeth-sounding 'no everything's cool' responses, you know?

There's nothing wrong with the original - why bother?! Remake something that didn't work the first time around!!!

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Agreed on both counts.

This new suit is pretty close to how I imagined it really. Some nods to the original, but updated with a slicker look.

Also, you can't ever judge a suit or prop from unofficial set photos. Without the proper lighting and surroundings anything can look ridiculous. Batman Begins had the very same issue with the suit and Tumbler, but those both turned out beautifully in the film.

Administrator

England
    Moved from August 9, 2013 release date to February 7, 2014
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan